The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's your "house bubbly"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: What's your "house bubbly"?

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:44 pm

I drink my Prosecco, Sorelle Bronca. Shows a lack of enterprise on my part, I know, but if I'm not drinking Champagne I just want something to start the evening off while I'm making dinner. I love good Prosecco but I have to say there's an awful lot of the other kind out there...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:I drink my Prosecco, Sorelle Bronca. /// I love good Prosecco but I have to say there's an awful lot of the other kind out there...

Prosecco is a minefield!!!
:D

Thanks for a name to look for. I like good Prosecco, but am generally disinclined to try new ones, as my batting average is poor. I generally like Bisol, and one of the Nino Francos bottlings. But the rest range from ok (Zardetto) to Do Not Put In Mouth. I see the Sorelle Bronca is at WHWC, will get a couple as case fillers next shipment.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:06 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:I love good Prosecco but I have to say there's an awful lot of the other kind out there...

I have to be honest in saying that I am not very good at differentiating between good and bad Prosecco. The $10 stuff and the $25 stuff tastes equally refreshing to me. We do make Kir with it regularly, so that masks the taste some, but I have no brand loyalty when it comes to Prosecco.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Glenn Mackles wrote:You have succeeded admirably. It is really hard to get Billicart Salmon in Virginia. They don't seem to have a distributor here. I'd love to buy some at $30 a bottle. Usually, I have to end up paying shipping as well. Enjoy it. I know I would.

Glenn

I rarely get such good local deals, so I had to gloat--thank you for indulging me. Current regular price on it here locally is now $48ish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Oliver McCrum wrote:I love good Prosecco but I have to say there's an awful lot of the other kind out there...

I have to be honest in saying that I am not very good at differentiating between good and bad Prosecco. The $10 stuff and the $25 stuff tastes equally refreshing to me. We do make Kir with it regularly, so that masks the taste some, but I have no brand loyalty when it comes to Prosecco.

Actually, you're pretty astute. Prosecco quality has been uniformly good in recent years. And really, the stuff is priced in a fairly narrow band. I've never seen one priced over $20. I'm sure someone will correct me on this shortly....
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

by rumpole » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Cava & Prosecco under $15 (as recommended by trusted wine steward) and Argyle Brut (good Willamette Valley sparkler) and the occasional "Red Sticky" from Australia.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Actually, you're pretty astute. Prosecco quality has been uniformly good in recent years. And really, the stuff is priced in a fairly narrow band. I've never seen one priced over $20. I'm sure someone will correct me on this shortly....

Dave,

After checking my records it looks like I should have said, "I can't tell the $9 stuff from the $13 stuff". Can't say I've seen any Prosecco over the $13 price point.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:30 pm

Glenn Mackles wrote:It is really hard to get Billicart Salmon in Virginia.

Scuttlebutt holds that for whatever reason, Robert Chadderdon got in some kind of a tiff/huff/hurt feelings/whatever with A Country Vintner, and won't sell to our market anymore.

Don't know the particulars of the genesis of the tiff/huff/hurt feelings/whatever, though.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Duval-Leroy Brut NV
Deutz Brut NV
Prosecco (generic, often for Kir)

Sam - I haven't though of Kir for several years, so thank you for mentioning it. I recall Liz ordering it on several occasions when we were dating; I'll have to make her one this weekend as a little surprise (she never knows what she wants anyway).
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:The Cliquot Yellow Label is actually my l;east favorite among all the big NV Champagnes. I don't doubt it's well made, but I have never liked the VC style.

Conventional wisdom also has it that its style changed (toward a more generic "upscale mass market" niche) after the company was acquired by Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH).

Hmmm, when did this transpire? I probably haven't bought a bottle since the late '80s.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:28 pm

I Delamotte Blanc de Blanc NV. Probably as close as I will get to Salon.... :)

For House sparkling, I also have so far this year.

(1) La Spinetta Moscato D'Asti
(2) Glenora Sparkling Brut from Finger Lakes.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:59 pm

For a house sparkling wine for entertaining and larger celebrations, we use Simonnet-Febvre NV Crémant de Bourgogne, which is available in Pennsylvania for $14. The lot available last year was really good, the new lot is not quite at the same level, but is still very good.

When we drink Champagne, we sample a range of different producers. There are too many interesting things to try to stick to any one.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:12 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:
Sam Platt wrote:

Actually, you're pretty astute. Prosecco quality has been uniformly good in recent years. And really, the stuff is priced in a fairly narrow band. I've never seen one priced over $20. I'm sure someone will correct me on this shortly....

I think that bubbles tend to disguise bad or mediocre wine, but if you had a selection of good and bad Proseccos next to each other, you'd see a very clear difference. Very few producers grow their own fruit, for one thing*; for another, most of the less expensive wines are the equivalent of IGT, not the DOC of Valdobbiadene/Conegliano, with lower standards (for one thing, they're not required to be 100% Prosecco). This is perhaps due to the weak dollar making it hard to hit certain price points.

Freshness is very important, too. Prosecco is like Fino sherry, it needs to be drunk as freshly bottled as possible. It won't be vintage-dated, but you may be able to make sense of the lot number...

One small Prosecco point: after tasting many different Proseccos from many different producers in both Brut and Extra Dry I have been forced to drop my 'Champagne prejudice' and accept that Extra Dry works better than Brut, for this variety. All the best examples (such as wines from Cartizze, for example) are at least Extra Dry, if not higher dosage, and the Brut is sold almost entirely in the export markets.

*All of Sorelle Bronca's wines are estate-bottled. I import Sorelle Bronca, so I'm not objective here.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:43 pm

We drink bubbles by the truckload around here! Current house favs are Raventos i Blanc Cava, Gonet, and Michel Dervin. If I'm stepping it up in price, it's always Pierre Peters, Jaquesson 731, Billecart Salmon Rose and Larmendier-Bernier.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Bonnie in Holland wrote:For a reasonably priced Champagne NV, I like Drappier Brut. If going for a half bottle, then I grab a Laurent-Perrier Brut. cheers, Bonnie

We love Drappier too--very traditional in a big, biscuity style.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Sam - I haven't though of Kir for several years, so thank you for mentioning it. I recall Liz ordering it on several occasions when we were dating; I'll have to make her one this weekend as a little surprise (she never knows what she wants anyway).

Jon,

We love the stuff. It's extremely refreshing on a hot summer evening. I mix it about 6:1 with the Creme de Cassis, so that the Prosecco isn't completely overpowered. Enjoy.
Sam

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:33 pm

From Champagne, I find it is hard to beat Duval-Leroy, both the NV and the Paris bottling (which come in a very cool blue/gold bottle)...last night we had the 1996 D-L, and it was still under $40; close after any of these would be Bollinger Cuvee Brut, Billecart-Salmon Brut, all in the mid $30s, and a bit more expensive, Camille Saves Rose

For non-champs bubbly, it's hard to beat Chandon.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:38 pm

We usually keep a bottle of Chateau St. Michelle Blanc de Noir in the refrigerator for impromptu celebrations. It's enjoyable enough, and at $12 it's easy enough to open.
Previous