The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Villa Carafa Taurasi (Aglianico)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2000 Villa Carafa Taurasi (Aglianico)

by Jenise » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Aglianico is one of those grapes that entices me, but I've mostly only had the cheaper versions. This 'better' bottling has been on my list to try so when I saw the it on the wine list last night at the Chrysalis, I ordered it.

Spicy, dense blackberry flavor with coffee and pepper. It drinks well now, but showed particuarly well after about an hour when we got a glimpse of the fruit cake kind of flavors it will develop during further cellaring. $70 on the restaurant wine list, which I suspect is borderline rapacious.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2000 Villa Carafa Taurasi (Aglianico)

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:22 pm

This sounds like it's pretty primary right now, Jenise. I've never had this producer but the older Taurino of Mastroberodino and the Cinque Querce (and CQ Riserva) from Molettieri are the aglianico I reach for first. The '96 CQ was $25 on release (2 years ago?) and is going to be wonderful in 5 or so more years. It was all tar and earth and deep dark fruit when young but it's completely shut down now. RWC was just advertising for the '97 (I think) CQ Riserva at a reasonable price.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:26 pm

I keep reading these notes on Taurasi, and I wonder when Diana found enough time away from basketball to make wine.

Where the heck do you find these wines? I've never even seen one, much less tasted one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:10 pm

When I first had the '96 Moliettieri it tasted like it could have been made from Diana's burnt sneakers. I dont see them around too often, David, but they do pop up locally from time to time.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:55 pm

Nice note, thanks! I recently tried an interesting Aglianico also: Villa Matilde's Camarata 1997. It was deliciously rustic, reminding me of your note, and reminding me of Musar except that this was more dark toned whereas I find Musar is more red toned. But the harsh, rasping acidity was lovely - only Musar and Madeiras have such divine acidity! I also need to try more Aglianicos. It seemingly is a variety I would like very much. Of course with our pathetic monopoly, we don't have any smart ones.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.