The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

WTN: `04 The Hermit Crab--D`Arenberg, McLaren Vale, Aust. (BP).

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:39 am

Tasted at least 3 times in the past year and a big winner in my book! Viognier/Marsanne blend, 14.5% alc, screw cap.

Colour. Pale straw, minimum cling with this one.

Nose. This improved in the glass over half hour. Great nose here and complex, spice and wild flowers. Some pear in the background and as it warms, I pick up some mustyness from the marsanne content.

Palate. Very slight spritz initially, zesty and crisp. A really good balance of flavours with grapefruit on the finish. Firm acidity and seems to have more going for it if not too chilled?. Peach and apricot, the richness developes in time and the viognier flavours tend to dominate. Zingy finish, very good.

*** the above notes were written up late last year. 2nd bottle tasted last week.

Not so much grapefruit this time around. Seems a tad riper too on the finish. On entry, great concentration, nice acidity and lingering aftertaste follows. Slight leak but did not appear to deter!

Cost was $20.00 Cdn.
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: `04 The Hermit Crab--D`Arenberg, McLaren Vale, Aust. (BP).

by James Dietz » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:03 pm

I agree with you on this bottling, Bob. I have had it many times over a number of vintages and it is always good. Not stunning or earth-shattering, but a very nice refreshing drink with food (we often have it with Chinese).

Plus, this has a good dollop of Viognier to go with the Marsanne.. so for the Viognier-shy, of whom there are many from another thread here, this would be a good one to try.
Cheers, Jim
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:19 pm

Exactly James, some forumites might not have access to a lot of Viognier (depending on where they live) so a good idea to keep an eye open for the blends out there. Have you had a chance to taste some of Mat Garretsons wines?
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:32 pm

I was a long time member of the Garretson Wine Club, so I do have an extensive collection of GWC wines....The Viogniers for a while were a bit disappointing....
Cheers, Jim