Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chef Carey's Dry Rub & BBQ Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Chef Carey's Dry Rub & BBQ Sauce

by Howie Hart » Wed May 24, 2006 3:22 pm

Chef Carey posted his recipe for these on the old board last year and I copied it to my computer, but haven't had a chance to try it until now. I just printed it out and will be making both, as I'm having a "Welcome Home" picnic for my son this Sunday as he returns from a year in Iraq. I just bought a new charcoal grill (very large - 175 lbs. from Sam's) and am wondering if 13 lbs. of ribs will be enough. I'll be doing lots of other food, kind of as a warm-up for NiagaraCOOL. I'll post a report after the picnic. :)
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Chef Carey's Dry Rub & BBQ Sauce

by ChefCarey » Wed May 24, 2006 5:22 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Chef Carey posted his recipe for these on the old board last year and I copied it to my computer, but haven't had a chance to try it until now. I just printed it out and will be making both, as I'm having a "Welcome Home" picnic for my son this Sunday as he returns from a year in Iraq. I just bought a new charcoal grill (very large - 175 lbs. from Sam's) and am wondering if 13 lbs. of ribs will be enough. I'll be doing lots of other food, kind of as a warm-up for NiagaraCOOL. I'll post a report after the picnic. :)

I ususally count by "slabs," not pounds. Well, you should get two to three servings per slab if you bought spareribs and one to two per slab for baby backs - one for sure if you invited *my* sons. I would expect your guy is going to be hungry, too. Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu May 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Howie,

Glad your son is safely out of Iraq...
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu May 25, 2006 1:13 pm

Thanks Jim - I'm relieved to have him back in the US of A. :D

However, 2 of my other sons are now going to be deployed, one in June, one in October. :(
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Thu May 25, 2006 3:37 pm

Howie,

Could you copy that recipe to this thread?

Thanks!
--Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu May 25, 2006 3:49 pm

Bob Cohen wrote: Could you copy that recipe to this thread?

Here's a link where its archived:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 31711.html
Here's what he posted:

Reposted for archival purposes. -- Jenise

For those of you who have not yet begun fondling your baby back ribs for the weekend. :)

Sorry I don\'t have time to fix this weird formatting. I fooled with it a couple of minutes. Just not smart enough - or patient enough - I guess.

Dry Rub

A dry rub is an integral part of barbecuing. This is one of several I utilize. I am including it here since I think it the best all-purpose rub.
Ingredient Quantity

Cayenne pepper ¼ Cup
Chili powder ¼ Cup
Paprika ½ Cup
Black pepper, finely ground ½ Cup
Garlic powder ¼ Cup
Cumin 2 TBSP
Dry mustard 1 TBSP
Celery salt 3 TBSP
Barbecue Sauce

There are food writers out there who would have us believe the word "barbecue" comes to us from the French "barbe a queue," which translates as "beard to tail." Far fetched, I think. Several 18th and 19th century New World travelers and writers mentioned "barbacoa" or "borbecus,” raised wooden frameworks used as beds or for smoking meats. This linguistic ancestry seems much more likely, given the "racks" or grids on which we "barbecue.”
Ingredient Quantity

Onions, yellow, minced 2 Cups
Garlic, finely minced 12 Cloves
Fresh ginger, finely minced 2 Tablespoons
Peanut oil ½ Cup
Cayenne 1 TBSP
Chile powder 4 Tablespoons
Catsup 6 cups
Dry mustard 3 Tablespoons
Dry red wine 2 Cups
Apple cider vinegar 1 Cup
Apple juice 1 Cup
Brown sugar 1 Cup
Paprika 5 Tablespoons
Soy sauce 1/2 Cup
Tabasco To taste
Pepper, black 1 Teaspoon
Method:

1) "Sweat" onions, garlic and ginger in the peanut oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until just soft.
2) Raise heat, add chile powder and sauté about 60 seconds.

3) Dissolve dry mustard in one cup of the red wine.

4) Add all remaining ingredients to pan and thoroughly incorporate.

5) Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Simmer about 15 minutes.

Note: For a marinade or a "basting" sauce, dilute one cup of Barbecue Sauce with three cups of water. For chicken or fish, add ½ cup of lemon juice to Barbecue Sauce.

Barbecued Baby Back Ribs

Item number 422 in the National Association of Meat Purveyor\'s Meat Buyer\'s Guide is "Pork Loin, Back Ribs." This is defined as "at least 8 ribs and related intercostal meat from a loin." If there can be said to be a "secret" to cooking pork ribs, that "secret" is this cut of pork. These are the "meaty" ribs that win barbecue contests, not spare ribs. Ask your butcher for the "baby back ribs." The only other “secrets” are the slow cooking period, the sauce and the rub. If you enjoy the flavor of various woods, add chips which have been soaked in cold water to your coals throughout the cooking process. Apple, pecan, mesquite and hickory are popular choices.
Yield: This should satisfy 6-8 hungry folks.

Ingredient Quantity

Pork loin, back ribs 3 or 4 "Slabs"
You Need to Know: The ribs will have a thin membrane covering the back of them. If you can’t see it, turn them over as you’re looking at the front. Take a paring knife and slide it under the membrane so you can get a grip on it. Pull it off. Using a towel makes it easier to grasp. It doesn’t taste bad and won’t harm you, but removing it allows the dry rub and smoke to penetrate the ribs more completely. Rub the dry rub all over the ribs, front and back. Be generous.
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Fri May 26, 2006 10:48 am

Printed out. Thanks!
--Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 30, 2006 9:34 am

Well, I did it and everything was a great success. I did the dry rub on 43 lbs. of ribs and cooked them over charcoal. The grease caught fire for a while so I had to watch the cooking closely, dousing with water occasionally, but after about 4 hours they were excellent and I received numerous compliments. I followed the recipe making 3 substitutions, none of which I believe were detrimental - EVOO for the peanut oil, celery seed for the celery salt and Frank's hot sauce instead of Tabasco (used a bit more as Frank's is not as hot). I bought chicken leg quarters ($.39/lb.) cut off the back section and put in the freezer for soup, and separated the legs into thighs and drumsticks. The thighs marinated overnight in a local made marinade/BBQ (Chiavetta's) while the drumsticks marinated in a 1:3 mixture of Chef Carey's BBQ sauce to water. When finished cooking, I slathered the drumsticks and ribs with some of the sauce and put a bowl of it out with the condiments. As far as the picnic is concerned, it had to be postponed from Sunday until Monday (Memorial Day) as the Army didn't let my son come home until Sunday night. When his Reserve unit arrived at the airport, all the local TV stations were there and they interviewed my son with is his 4-year old son. As far as the rest of the food for the picnic: shrimp cocktail, steamed clams, wilted spinach salad, potato salad, macaroni & tuna salad, 3 bean salad, baked beans, chili, deviled eggs, etc......
Thank you Chef Carey for posting. It helped make my son's homecoming a memorable occasion.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue May 30, 2006 12:12 pm

This is very spicey hot stuff but I believe I told Chef Carey his barbecue sauce and rub changed my life or some such hyperbole. In truth, the rub is fabulous and makes everything taste better. The sauce is also excellent.

Howard
Howard
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue May 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Well, I did it and everything was a great success. I did the dry rub on 43 lbs. of ribs and cooked them over charcoal. The grease caught fire for a while so I had to watch the cooking closely, dousing with water occasionally, but after about 4 hours they were excellent and I received numerous compliments. I followed the recipe making 3 substitutions, none of which I believe were detrimental - EVOO for the peanut oil, celery seed for the celery salt and Frank's hot sauce instead of Tabasco (used a bit more as Frank's is not as hot). I bought chicken leg quarters ($.39/lb.) cut off the back section and put in the freezer for soup, and separated the legs into thighs and drumsticks. The thighs marinated overnight in a local made marinade/BBQ (Chiavetta's) while the drumsticks marinated in a 1:3 mixture of Chef Carey's BBQ sauce to water. When finished cooking, I slathered the drumsticks and ribs with some of the sauce and put a bowl of it out with the condiments. As far as the picnic is concerned, it had to be postponed from Sunday until Monday (Memorial Day) as the Army didn't let my son come home until Sunday night. When his Reserve unit arrived at the airport, all the local TV stations were there and they interviewed my son with is his 4-year old son. As far as the rest of the food for the picnic: shrimp cocktail, steamed clams, wilted spinach salad, potato salad, macaroni & tuna salad, 3 bean salad, baked beans, chili, deviled eggs, etc......
Thank you Chef Carey for posting. It helped make my son's homecoming a memorable occasion.

Thanks, Howie, glad I could be of assistance in some small way. I remember the greeting (or lack thereof) when I returned from Vietnam - coming out of the Oakland terminal - don't think any American should ever have to experience that.

And thank you, Howard!
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:41 am

Howie,

Thanks for re-posting Chef Carey's dry rub recipe. Elaine and I tried it yesterday with some baby back ribs. Great stuff! About 8 hours in the BBQ seemed about right. We are already looking for an opportunity to try it again, maybe with a pork loin.

Best

Alan
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:07 am

Don't thank me, thank Chef Carey! Now my mouth is watering again, so I think I'll do another batch soon! I have some pork shoulders in the freezer and a sirloin tip roast also. However, the best BBQ I ever had was in Beaumont, TX, catered from a place called Doug Nelson's - the smoked beef ribs were out of this world. But the results of the Chef Carey stuff on pork is outstanding! 8)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:50 pm

Alan, what kind of cooker do you have that you did ribs for 8 hours. And, at what temp did you do them? I am guessing not much over 225 degrees F.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Bob,
My cooker looks like a modified 30 gal. grease drum with a stack at one end and an air inlet at the other. I built a small fire at one end and placed the ribs at the other, and added charcoal periodically during the day to maintain 200 - 225 degrees F., according to the thermometer on the cooker. I probably could have completed cooking in a shorter period of time but wanted to be sure they were thoroughly done.
Best
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:04 pm

Alan, we have missed you in chat on Sunday of thes past several months. I will look for you next Sunday. Also I sending you a Private Message so check for it.
Bob Henrick