The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Knight Granite Hills and Hidden Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Knight Granite Hills and Hidden Valley

by Jenise » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Last night we wanted "something zinny" to go with a been-shopping-all-day, al fresco dinner of fresh radishes with smoked salish salt, roast Costco chicken, hot corn tortillas and a spicy homemade pico de gallo. So we did what we always do when we want something zinny--reach for a syrah.

1998 Knight Granite Hills Shiraz
Macedon Ranges, Victoria, Australia

Only an hour or so north of Melbourne, high up in the hills is a craggy, irregular landscape landscape so Jurassic that you halfway expect a velociraptor to bound out from behind one of the house-sized boulders that God seems to have tossed out there like so many dice. The wines were as different as the topography, and the Knight was our favorite stop. Less sweet and more minerally than what most people think of as "Aussie Shiraz", the Knight is very spicy and extremely well balanced between fruit and oak. It's aging splendidly--still youthful but acquiring some secondary nuances, and it should have a long future. I'll hold my remaining bottles.

Then we got to talking with our wonderful neighbors and people started lighting off fireworks around the Bay and so it was that we stayed out till midnight, chatting around the firepit and staring up into the heavens, something you can do on a warm summer night when you live beyond light pollution.

We needed more wine, of course.

1998 Hidden Valley Pinotage
South Africa

Here's the wine that might just make a believer out of Bill Spohn. It's at about the same stage of life that the Knight above is--still youthful but packing on secondary nuances, gracefully slouching into middle age. Full-bodied, rich and elegant, with blackberry, sage and roasted meat flavors. Acidity's still good, tannins are sweet...everything's coming along just fine.
[/list]
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Knight Granite Hills and Hidden Valley

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Jenise,
You were drinking pinotage? Was Paul B. out for a visit? I haven't seen him posting so I assume he's on vacation. I didn't know he was out on the left coast. Did you drink any vidal?
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Knight Granite Hills and Hidden Valley

by Jenise » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Nope, no P. I drank this entirely voluntarily. I quite like some pinotages I've had, and this one actually made a splendid after dinner, sit-around-the fire wine. I bought this one ages ago, actually had maybe ten bottles total at one time. They were $35 wines and I paid somewhere around $3 each for them, so I thought it would be a fun experiment to just toss them in the cellar and see what they do. They've gone through a lot of stages I didn't like at all, where all you could taste was oak or roasted flavors and where I'd have totally given up on them or declared myself a hater had I not had more to ignore for awhile, but I had enough to tough it out. It's current impressively harmonious state is quite the surprise. I guess like all wines, it just needs to be understood. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov