The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Diamond Creek foil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

Diamond Creek foil

by Tom V » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:24 am

Ok, I know this is a bizzarre request, but if anyone has any '85 ish Diamond Creek in their cellar that they know where to find, could you tell me what the foil looks like? I can't seem to locate mine in my EuroCave wine frig and I don't want to deconstruct all the bottles in my 80 degree basement to find it. The bottles will be soaking wet by the time I get them back in! Tom V :?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Diamond Creek foil

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:05 pm

Tom, I don't know the answer to your plight, but I bet if you emailed the winery you could get a description of the capsule. their url is:

http://www.diamondcreekvineyards.com/contact-diamond_creek.htm
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:09 pm

Tom, in addition to Bob's good idea, here's a link to a picture that shows a couple of '81s from the side in a fairly large image, if that helps at all.

http://images.winecommune.com/lotImage/392801811.jpg
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

nyc

by Tom V » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:22 pm

Looks like I am looking for a red foil, I'll shoot over to their web site and see if I can't get a more detailed look. Then I'll search one more time and if no luck I'll substitute. Thanks, I appreciate the ideas and photos! Have a great 4th! Tom V :D
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:01 pm

There a picture of the 1985 Diamond Creek at this link, Tom. Looks black to me.

http://redbeardsbookden.com/wine_85diam ... anic.phtml

Click on the Diamond Creek - Volcanic Hill link about halfway down the page to get the picture.

Note: I've corrected my error in calling the capsule red in my first post; Bob H. corrected my error down below, and I apologize for the carelessness. And, of course, thanks Bob for catching me up.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:22 pm

By golly, I think those are my two DC's from Mo'Cool. I don't remember what vintage of Mo'Cool it was, but it was my 2nd time bringing a vertical of DC with the other being the 79's. Both were awfully good IIRC.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:24 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:By golly, I think those are my two DC's from Mo'Cool.

Is this a reply to my post, Bob? Without the quote, it's hard to tell.

If you are talking about the link I posted, though, note that they were for sale recently, with contents and caps intact, so I doubt they're the same ones that were drunk up at a MoCool. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Red foil Tom? If you are indeed speaking of the capsule, that looks black to me and black is what my 79's and 81 's were. hope your 85 is at least as good as mine.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:58 pm

"Red foil Tom? If you are indeed speaking of the capsule, that looks black to me and black is what my 79's and 81 's were. hope your 85 is at least as good as mine."

Bob, think you are referring to my link, and I agree. I was thinking about Robin's link, and not my own, when I wrote "red".

Tom, Bob's right --that sure looks black to me.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:55 pm

If you are talking about the link I posted, though, note that they were for sale recently, with contents and caps intact, so I doubt they're the same ones that were drunk up at a MoCool. Smile

I noticed my mistake mopments after posting. Mine were also 1981's and were one from each vineyard of RRT, GM, and VH. I've never even seen a Lake DC, and I'll likely never see one. 3/4 of an acre doesn't make a lot of wine, and what it does make goes for the BIG BUCKS!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:54 pm

Pulled a bottle of 85 Gravelly Meadow out of my cellar and it's sitting next to my computer. The foil is black with a narrow gold band towards the bottom with an additional one quarter inch of black band below it. 86 is the same. I hope that answers your question. Happy 4th to everybody.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

nyc

by Tom V » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:51 am

Oh Yeah, the pictures with the black foil jarred my memory, black it is! Actually, I gave up the search before I left tonight to attend a fabulous fireworks display. After all, my '85's for tommorrow have to settle a bit and I was running short of time. Still, my lineup of '85's should be interesting, especially since everyone attending is into wine, so it's all '85's ... Carmenet, Laurel Glen, Phelps Insignia, Raymond Private Reserve, and Gruaud Larose for good measure, should be fun.
I really appreciate everyone's help with my foil dilemma! Hope everyone has a fabulous 4th of July!! Tom V :)