Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

TNR - Hagafen 2005 Reserve Napa Valley Mélange

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 am

Rogov - have you (or anyone else) tasted this wine?

Thank you,
Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR - Hagafen 2005 Reserve Napa Valley Mélange

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Yossie, Hi....

The wine in question was released officially only two days ago. I have already been in contact with the USA and a bottle will soon be winging its way to me across both the North American continent and the Atlantic. My guess is that I'll have a bottle on hand within a week, then to give it a week to recover from its voyage before tasting. Because the wine was made in a quite limited quantity, this delay may present a problem to potential buyers. I'll make a stab though and, based on the tasting note of the 2004 release of this wine (following) and on winemaker Ernie Weir's reputation, would suggest making the plunge and buying before the wine is sold out.

I will, of course, post here as soon as the wine has been tasted.

Best
Rogov

Hagafen, Prix Reserve, Melange, Napa Valley, 2004: Very possibly the best ever from Ernie Weir at Hagafen and one of the best kosher wines ever. A Bordeaux blend, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins, gently vanilla-richwood, acidity and fruits in fine balance. On first attack generous cherry, red berry and cassis, those yielding to blackberries and spring flowers and then to reveal chocolate, white pepper and cinnamon all of which come together harmoniously and linger on and on in a mouth-filling finish. Drink now-2015. Score 95. K

Note to New Readers: In my tasting notes the symbol "K" at the end of a review indicates a wine that is kosher.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:08 pm

I am ordering it based on the 2004 which is amazing but was just checking to see if you had gotten an advance tasting which might encourage me to overspend on more bottles... :)

Thanks as always!
Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Anyone in the USA have any idea how much this is selling for?
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:03 pm

$75
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks for the note and welcome to the new forum!

I just tasted Hagfen wines last weekend, and I found the place very charming. I picked up their library wine, a 2001 Syrah, that was verry peppery and earthy and nice, so...this wine sounds quite intriguing!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

by Michael P » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:49 pm

Yossie H wrote:$75

Anyone care to comment on the value of this wine?

I have been a long time buyer of Hagafen and of recent Prix, and while their prices have always been high, the recent jump seems excessive, esp. considering Prix's 'allocation' system. Any thoughts?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:37 am

Michael, Hi.....

I've been a long-time admirer of Ernie Weir and to date his Hagafen wines continue to offer an overall high level of excellence. I am, I admit concerned about two things - first the seeming expansion into very limited, by subscription edition labels and second the prices.

(a) It always worries me somewhat when a relatively small or even medium-sized winery begins to issue a goodly number of single vineyard, special reserve, or limited edition wines. That raises a red flag in the eyes of the critic because too often this has happened and sometimes reflects a too-rapidly rising level of ego (the sudden need for fame) or a distinct onset of greed. As I say though, a red flag and not a certain sign, for there have been cases where such releases have indeed reflected a major step-up in quality of upper-level wines. I am hoping of course that it will be the positive outcome in the case of Hagafen.

(b) Prices for upper-end kosher wines have been going just about as crazy as is possible these days and that in California, France and Israel. Indeed quite a few of the wines in question attain excellence and even more, but we will have to wait a while to see whether consumers determine those prices acceptable. As often I have observed, my knowledge of the business world is limited but prices have long-ago gone wild in Bordeaux and frankly, I do not see the Mouix, Rothshchild or Lurton families losing any sleep. I suspect much depends on how much of their wine they have to sell and whether there will be (as there have in the past) enough people willing to pay the price.

As Yul Brynner put it so nicely: "Is a puzzlement"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:41 am

Thanks Rogov.

I find that Hagafen is becoming a marketing machine. Two wine clubs, three+ brands, lots of special offerings.

I keep buying the wines because they are superior to the rest, but I am getting annoyed.

I believe last year the Prix Melange was offered at $50/bottle. This year its $75/bottle. Too fast an increase.

I am also slightly bothered by the fact that long time customers and club members are not being offered any discount (of any sort) on Prix wines. Perhaps we should be offered futures, or case discounts or something. Our loyalty is evident in the $'s spent over the years. Instead prices get jacked and we get threatened that if we don't buy our full allocation we may get a smaller allocation next time.
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Yossie H wrote:Rogov - have you (or anyone else) tasted this wine?

Thank you,
Yossie

Rogov,

Has the wine arrived? Have you tasted?

Anyone else tasted?

Thanks!
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:53 am

Michael, Hi....

The wine has quite literally just arrived. I have set it aside to rest for a week and will then have it added to my blind tastings.

Best
Rogov