Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

WTN request - French K new arrivals

by Menach N » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Rogov hi
i was wondering if you tasted these wines, can i pls have your TN ? ( in some wines im not sure if the 05 vintage was released )

Baron Edmond & Benjamin De Rothschild Haut-Medoc k 2004 & 2005
Chateau Leoville Poyferre 2004 & 2005
Chateau Pontet Canet k 2004 & 2005
Chateau Labegorce Margaux k 2004 & 2005
Chateau Gisqours Margaux k 2003 & 2004 & 2005
Chateau Piada k 2006

would you know if the Chateau Malmaison in the 04 & 05 vintage has been released /

Please and Thank you !
Best regards
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN request - French K new arrivals

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 am

Menach, Hi....

As of this writing, I have tasted none of these wines. Several points. First of all, for various reasons the kosher Bordeaux wines of 2001 and 2003 have proved to be "slow movers" for most importers and are still on the shelves. Because of that, and because the kosher editions of wines are made to order, several of the chateaux did not do kosher releases in 2004, 2005 and 2006. You indicated in your email to me that you had found many of the wines on this list on-line but I cannot help but wonder if there may be an error in some of those.

I have sent off emails to the various chateaux and to their importer/distributors in the USA concerning each of these wines. When I have definitive information, I shall post again. Also, when known which of these have actually been released, I shall seek out bottles of the kosher editions.

Best
Rogov
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Thank you Rogov !
i'll look fwd to it.
Just last night i went to eat at the La Carne restaurant in NYC ( http://www.lacarnegrill.com ) on the wine list they had the Baron Edmond & Benjamin De Rothschild Haut-Medoc 2005 but only by the btl, since i was the only wine drinker there i didnt get it, .... i should have :x !
anyway my curiousity is growing here,
thanks again
Ciao
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Menach, Hi....

Of the wines in question, each recently released, I have not yet done any tastings. I have, however communicated with Royal Wine in the USA, and they inform me that the wines now released under their jurisdiction include:

Baron Edmond de Rothschild, 2004 and 2005
Chateau Piada 2006
Chateau Labegorce, 2004
Chateau Pontet Canet 2004
Barons Edmond & Benjamin de Rothschild, 2004 and 2005

A friend is now in the process of obtaining the above wines for me and they should be on hand within a week or so. I'll give them a bit of time to rest and will then post. I am trying to track down the Giscours 2004 and 2005 as well as the Malmaison but so far with no luck. I am following up on this.

Best
Rogov
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 pm

Thank you Rogov !!!
much appriciated,
best ..
Menach
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:19 pm

I am also eagerly awaiting the TN for Chateau Piada 2006, as my supplier in London has now informed me that he cannot obtain any more of the 2001. I am also curious as to how the two years compared for Sauternes in general.

On the subject of kosher dessert wines: Daniel, do you know if there was ever a successful kosher production of Chateau de la Guimonerre or Chateau de Fesles (I believe they were both produced by the same winery) other than 1997?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Considering the very recent arrival of these wines, I have tasted several already and the others should be tasted no later than Thursday. I will post then. Sorry for delays but in fairness to the wines, one has to give them a chance to recover from their journeys.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Rogov - have you had a chance to taste the 2004 and 2005 Malmaison of Nadine de Rothschild?

Thanks,
Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Menach and Yossi, Hi......

Sometimes you guys grab me just at the right time. Today's tastings were devoted largely to kosher Bordeaux releases, those matched during my session by parallel releases from the same wineries as well as a host of other Bordeaux releases from the same vintage years. An interesting tasting and some very good wines indeed.

Best
Rogov

Barons Edmond & Benjamin de Rothschild, Haut Medoc, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Deep garnet, medium-bodied, with firm tannins that seem not to want to settle in and integrate but opening to reveal blackberry, currant, Oriental spices and, on the medium-long finish, a hint of mint. Drink now-2010. Score 87. K (Tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Barons Edmond and Benjamin de Rothschild, Haut Medoc, 2005: When tasting this wine blind, I was ready to take an oath that it was the 2001 wine that I was sampling, so similar are the two. As was that earlier release, medium- to full-bodied, with chunky tannins that give the wine a Provencal note but opening nicely to reveal black fruits on a background of minerals and white pepper. Drink now-2012. Score 88. K (Tasted 3 Aug 2008)

Chateau Leoville Poyferre, St. Julien, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Full-bodied, with firm tannins starting to integrate with hints and vanilla from the oak in which it aged. Opens to show traditional currant and blackberry fruits, those on lightly spicy background. Needs some time. Best from 2010. Score 89. K (Tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Leoville Poyferre, St. Julien, 2005 (Kosher Edition): Perhaps the best kosher edition ever from Leoville Poyferre. Deep garnet towards royal purple in color, full-bodied, with gently caressing tannins and just the right hint of spicy and vanilla rich oak. On first attack blackcurrants and blackberries, those followed by hints of blueberries and, on the long finish notes of lightly minted chocolate. Approachable and enjoyable now but best from 2010. Score 92. K (Tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Pontet Canet, Pauillac, 2005 (Kosher Edition): Whomever is "doing it" at Pontet Canet is doing it very well indeed and this kosher edition, although not the regular edition (that scores a generous 95 points) is just fine on its own. Dark, almost impenetrable garnet in color, full-bodied, with soft, gently mouth-coating tannins. On first attack currants and mint, those opening to reveal blackberry, licorice and mineral notes and, on the super-long finish the tannins and fruits rising a generous note of espresso coffee. Approachable by 2009 but best starting only in 2011 and then cellariung comfortably until 2025. Score 93. K (Tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Pontet Canet, St. Julien, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Medium- to full-bodied, showing traditional Caberent Sauvignon blackberry and black currant fruits, those complemented comfortably by hints of spices, minerals and licorice. Long and near-elegant. Best 2010-2014. Score 91. K (Tasted 3 Aug 2008)

Chateau Labegorce, Margaux, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Think of this as the younger brother of the non-kosher edition if you will – younger, ready to drink earlier but reflecting much the same personality. Medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins only now starting to recede and opening in the glass to reveal blackberry, raspberry, black cherry and white chocolate all leading to an appealing After-8 minty note. A generous wine, but not one for long term cellaring. Drink now-2012. Score 89. K (Re-tasted 3 Aug 2008)

Chateau Giscours, Margaux, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Garnet towards royal purple, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and hints of spicy wood integrating nicely to show black cherry, blackberry and vanilla notes. On the long finish a generous hint of olives and Mediterranean herbs. Drink now-2013. Score 88. K (Re-tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Giscours, Margaux, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Dark garnet, full-bodied, with gripping tannins and rather generous sweet cedar notes, those opening slowly in the glass to reveal black fruits and hints of mocha. Best 2009-2013, perhaps longer. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Giscours, Margaux, 2005 (Kosher Edition): Well done indeed and very close to the standard (i.e. non-kosher) edition. Garnet towards royal purple with orange reflections, full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely. Opens on the palate to show red and black berries, cherries and notes of citrus peel. Long, mouth-filling and generous. Best from 2011. Score 90. K (Tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Piada, Sauternes, 2006 (Kosher Edition): Not the superb 2001 but a wine that stands quite comfortably on its own. Medium- to full-bodied, with light botrytis influence, generously sweet and with good balancing acidity. Opens to reveal citrus peel and butterscotch, those yielding to show notes of summer fruit-flavored marzipan. Approachable now but best from 2011. Score 90. K (Tasted 6 Aug 2008)

Chateau Malmaison, Barone Nadine de Rothschild, Moulis, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Not much here to exite this year. Dusty garnet in color, medium-bodied, with soft, almost flabby tannins and showing basic black fruits and spices. Drink now-2010. Score 84 K (Tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Malmaison, Barone Nadine de Rothschild, Moulis, 2005 (Kosher Edition): Deep, almost impenetrable garnet in color, full-bodied, with smooth tannins and opening in the glass to reveal currant, wild berry and citrus peel notes all leading to a long chocolate-rich finish. Very close in style and personality to the non-kosher edition but approachable somewhat earlier. Best 2010-2020. Score 91.K
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:56 pm

Sorry to be a pain, but can we get the regualar edition notes for the following?

Chateau Pontet Canet, Pauillac, 2005
Chateau Giscours, Margaux, 2004
Chateau Malmaison, Barone Nadine de Rothschild, Moulis, 2005

These three sound very exciting

ANY idea as to the relative prices of the three? Even for the non-kosher editions, would love to see relative pricing.

Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Menach, Hi....

Following, three sets of tasting notes, the non-kosher and kosher editions of the wines in question. As to prices, check Wine Searcher at http://www.wine-searcher.com/index.lml as that will give you some rough ideas.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Pontet-Canet, Pauillac, 2005: Deeloping beautifully and every bit as superb as at barrel tastings. Dark almost impenetrable purple towards black in color, and with still firm tannins integrating nicely but needing time. At this stage showing great concentration, structure and balance. Given tie, however, this is going to prove truly elegant. A gnerous array here of blackcurrant, blackberry, spicy cedar wood, licorice and, on the long finish a note of what at one moment seems to be vanilla, at another chocolate. Approachable by 2012 but best from 2015 and then well into mid-century. Score 96. (2005 Bordeaux Tastings, Mar-Apr 2008)

Chateau Pontet Canet, Pauillac, 2005 (Kosher Edition): Whomever is "doing it" at Pontet Canet is doing it very well indeed and this kosher edition, although not the regular edition (that scores a generous 95 points) is just fine on its own. Dark, almost impenetrable garnet in color, full-bodied, with soft, gently mouth-coating tannins. On first attack currants and mint, those opening to reveal blackberry, licorice and mineral notes and, on the super-long finish the tannins and fruits rising a generous note of espresso coffee. Approachable by 2009 but best starting only in 2011 and then cellariung comfortably until 2025. Score 93. K (Tasted 1 Sep 2008)

++++

Chateau Giscours, Margaux, 2004: Showing better than at barrel tastings. Medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and spicy oak and sweet cedar integrating well. Opens to show generous blackberry, black cherry and cassis fruits, those on a background of earthy minerals. Drinking nicely now-2018. Score 91. (Re-tasted 1 Sep 2008)

Chateau Giscours, Margaux, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Dark garnet, full-bodied, with gripping tannins and rather generous sweet cedar notes, those opening slowly in the glass to reveal black fruits and hints of mocha. Best 2009-2013, perhaps longer. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 1 Sep 2008)

++++

Chateau Malmaison, Moulis, 2005: Full-bodied, complex and concentrated but with remarkably soft tannins. Deep royal purple. On the nose and palate look for blackberries, blackcurrants and spices, all leading to a long tantalizingly mineral-rich finish. The star of Moulis for the 2005 vintage. Best 2012-2025. Score 93. (2005 Bordeaux Tastings, Mar-Apr 2008)

Chateau Malmaison, Barone Nadine de Rothschild, Moulis, 2005 (Kosher Edition): Deep, almost impenetrable garnet in color, full-bodied, with smooth tannins and opening in the glass to reveal currant, wild berry and citrus peel notes all leading to a long chocolate-rich finish. Very close in style and personality to the non-kosher edition but approachable somewhat earlier. Best 2010-2020. Score 91.K
no avatar
User

Jaicky T

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

by Jaicky T » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:43 pm

I received a bottle of 2003 Chateau Fourcas Dupre as a gift. I have no idea how it has beeen cellared. Any WTN's for this?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:08 am

Yaakov, Hi....

Following is my most recent (and alas, not all that postive) tasting note for the wine in question. The kosher editions of Fourcas-Dupre are, as is said in Arabic, yom assal, yom bassal - that is to say, one day honey, one day onion, varying enormously from vintage to vintage.

Best
Rogov

Ch Fourcas-Dupre, Listrac, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Nothing complex here but a pleasant enough little Bordeaux red. Medium-bodied, with soft tannins and generous currant, blackberry and white chocolate aromas and flavors. An appropriate entry level wine. Score 82. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)
no avatar
User

Stephen W

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 am

by Stephen W » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:27 am

DG please advise if these French wines (K) are imported to Israel and by whom. Can you give an Idea of the prices?
Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:47 am

Steve, Hi....

A good many of these are indeed imported into Israel and those by a variety of importers. Best places to check on availability and on price will be Wine Route, Wine and More, and Mendel in Tel Aviv. In all cases, a bit of comparison shopping is definitely in order as many of these can be obtained for far less in New York or London.

Best
Rogov
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 am

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Rogov,

Do you have notes on the kosher Chateau Larose-Perganson? I don't remember what vintage I had, but it was definately in the 2000s. Thanks.

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:37 pm

Beautifull notes ! and quite promising :wink:
exited and looking fwd to them
Thank you Rogov !!
rgards
Menach
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Rogov hi
have you tasted the Ch LeCrock Snt. Estephe 2004 & 2005 ?
Pls and Thank you
-M
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

by Menachem S » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Daniel, do you have the note for the 2002 Moulis?

(Chateau Malmaison, Barone Nadine de Rothschild, Moulis)

Thanks!
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:56 am

Menachem, Hi...

Interestingly, the 2002 kosher edition might be marginally better than the regular edition. My tasting notes for both follow.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Malmaison, Baronne Nadine de Rothschild, Moulis, 2002: Dark ruby towards garnet, medium-bodied with soft tannins integrating nicely and showing plum, wild berry and minty-chocolate. Moderately long. Drink now-2008. Score 87. (Tasted 6 Oct 2005)

Chateau Malmaison, Baronne Nadine de Rothschild, Moulis (Kosher Edition), 2002: Dark ruby in color, with soft tannins, a gentle hand with spicy wood and appealing berry, black cherry and plum notes backed up nicely by a hint of herbaceousness that comes in on the medium-long finish. Drink now-2009. Score 88. K (Tasted 6 Oct 2005)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:59 am

Menach, Hi.....

Mea culpa. I have not yet tasted the kosher Le Crock editions of 2004 or 2005. Soon to be tasted, I hope.

Best
Rogov
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

by Menachem S » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 am

I presume the kosher edition is medium bottled as well?

thanks - this wine is on sale at kosherwine.com - for $20 seems like a great value.

Does anyone know anything about KW's storage conditions?
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:56 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Menach, Hi.....

Mea culpa. I have not yet tasted the kosher Le Crock editions of 2004 or 2005. Soon to be tasted, I hope.

Best
Rogov

non si preocupi signore :wink: (no worries)
when ever it will be ..... it will be great
regards 8)
Menach