Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Yiron 2001

User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

Yiron 2001

by Menach N » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:49 am

has anyone had this wine recently ??
Just had it this evening and definitly taking a steeper downhill direction but still some sips seemed fine and holding on, and some... not so much, -on the nose though not much was picked up- but then when flavors of "indian herb or spice" comes to play with this rubber band flavor and on the finish dried apricots in mud (maybe even overiped ananas !! ) ?????
the btl was finished, strange but still enjoyed. a interesting experience
porca miseria i still have 3 btl left !! :|

any thoughts ??

pls & thnks
Best...
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Yiron 2001

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:02 am

Menach, Hi....

Indeed this first release of the Yiron from Galil Mountain Winery is on the way down. My most recent tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Galil Mountain, Yiron, 2001: Dark garnet, showing somewhat more full-bodied than in its youth, this blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon and 22% Merlot offers still-generous tannins and oak, but those in fine tune with blackberry, currant and black cherry fruits. Also on the nose and palate gentle spiciness, and now showing hint of tobacco and dark chocolate. Throwing a bit of sediment now but maturing with grace. Drink up. Score 90. K
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:36 pm

I have 4 bottles left and am planning on drinking in the next 6-12 months.

Just had one 3 weeks ago. Lots of sediment, but still held strongly IMHO.

I almost felt like "drink up" might be a bit strong. Didnt seem to be falling apart to me.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi,

If the Yiron is on its way down, In MHO it can still see the top of the hill behind.
As I posted on our "old" forum, I purchased 2 bottles from the winery in March 2008. We opened one and it was superb (next to it we had a bottle of GHW Yarden CS 2003 - great match).
In a recent vertical tasting in June, I had a sample, again coming straight from the winery and it was still excellent by all means.
I then had a glass from a magnum bottle and it was one of the best Israeli wines I ever drank in my short wine-loving carrier, fresh on the nose and no closer to earth age symptoms. I could not resist taking one magnum home with me - together with one regular size which I plan to open in the very near future.

I guess after 7 hot years not all bottles are the same and when it comes to mature wines, one palette is different from the other.

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Eli, Hi.....

Agreed that in magnum format the wine will hold very nicely for another 3 - 5 years. Considering the amount of sediment though, and despite how much one enjoys their wines on the mature side, I'll hold firmly with my "drink up" regular format bottles.

I'm sure after this discussion that I'll be offered this one to taste again during my annual late autumn/early winter visit to the winery. Will certainly report back again.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi,

The GHW training team held recently several vertical tastings of the Yiron in both regular and magnum formats.
I had discussions with Ms. Debbie Shoham on several occasions including the one I mentioned in the above post.
They opened enough bottles to know what to expect from a well kept bottle that is not "corky".
IMHO the 2002 was too acidic and the 2003 will develop some more (I hope).
Galil Mountain winery is very unique in its approach, as they kept stock from each vintage of the Yiron and offer those for sale in thw winery - as aging wines in due time.

So expect 2002 and 2003 to be offered in the coming year at reasonable prices.

Eli
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

by Menach N » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Thank you
i guess i just had a semi lemon btl, ill try again in a 2-3 weeks, we'll see then
Ciao
Menach
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Indeed this first release of the Yiron from Galil Mountain Winery is on the way down. My most recent tasting note follows.
Galil Mountain, Yiron, 2001 ...

Well, it was the second release in fact (how could you of all people make a mistake like that, Daniel? :? ). I had quite a stock of the 2000 vintage at one point, but finished it before it went downhill!
Last edited by Mike BG on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Mike BG: I had quite a stock of the 2000 vintage

I missed this one, the 2000 was also offered at the winery lately - at 150 NIS a bottle, I passed on this one not risking it.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Mike, Hi....

You is right and I is wrong. Indeed, the first Yiron released was from the 2000 vintage. Thanks for the reminder.

As to how one can lose track, let us think of Georges Simenon who is reported to have slept with over 10,000 women. I'll bet you a silver dollar that he didn't remember all of them.

Best
Rogov