WTN: Kahanov Winery (Israel)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Kahanov Winery (Israel)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:52 am

Located near Gadera (not far from Rehovot), the long-time vintners of the Kahanov family opened their own winery and released its first wines from the 2004 vintage. In the past two days I tasted and re-tasted two of the wines that are now on market (both at NIS 69 per bottle) as well as tasting a barrel sample of another wine. My tasting notes follow.

Best
Rogov

Kahanov, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005: Dark garnet, with chunky tannins giving the wine a distinct country-style. Good blackberry fruits here but with earthy, weedy and dusty cedary oak more prominent than fruit. Somewhat coarse. Drink now. 78. (Tasted twice with consistent notes 19 and 20 Jul 2008)

Kahanov, Merlot, 2004: Medium-bodied, a simple little country-style red with muted cherry fruits and showing too generous herbal notes. Loaded with volatile acidity. Drink up. Score 74. (Tasted twice with consistent notes 19 and 20 Jul 2008)

Kahanov, Petit Verdot, 2005 (Barrel Tasting): Full-bodied, with generous spicy wood and firm tannins and alcohol hanging on as if they do not want to yield. Some good black cherry fruit here but that overpowered by gamy and tobacco notes. Perhaps best if used as a blending agent. Tentative Score 75-77. (Tasted 19 Jul 2008).
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: WTN: Kahanov Winery (Israel)

Postby Isi M » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:21 pm

I should get some for my mother-in-law
Isi M
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Kahanov Winery (Israel)

Postby Lior Yogev » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:39 am

Hi and thanks for the notes.

I tasted the Merlot 2.5 months ago. I remember quite enjoying it. Is it possible it collapsed in such a short period of time - or (also factoring your overall impressions from the winery) I've been off mark?

Thanks,

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum