Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Pronunciation?

no avatar
User

Marlyne K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Pronunciation?

by Marlyne K » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Have recently been devouring (if such can be done with a wine) something new for me, an Italian called Nero D'Avola (or D'Avolo). Enjoying different wineries and just wanted to know how to pronounce it, where the accent goes on the second word ... is it da vo' la, or di a' volo...heard it both ways, and not being from Italy, don't know which is correct.
Thanks for your help.
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

Re: Pronunciation?

by Ehud W » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:06 am

Marlyne, Hi

Nero d'Avola is actually a grape from Sicily, dark and very intense, no wonder it's called the Black Devil - Nero d'Avola.
Though from Israel, myself, I know the pronunciation as - (Nero) di Avola.
Ehud
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

by Doug Z » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:50 pm

its ne' ro....da' vola (accent on first a)

(or so says my wop wife!)

it is not diavolo which means devil, but rather, nero d'avola, the dark grape from avola, a town in sicily.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
no avatar
User

Marlyne K

Rank

Wine geek

by Marlyne K » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:47 pm

ooookay...which of you is correct? I was saying "da vo' la" accent on the "vo", then I heard "di a' vola", accent on the "a"... I'm pretty confused here! After spending some time in Tuscany and mispronuoncing EVERYTHING (!) and having the servers correct me time and again...I'd like to get SOMETHING right! At least I'm getting " Nero" correct!
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by Doug Z » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:43 pm

Marlyne K wrote:ooookay...which of you is correct? I was saying "da vo' la" accent on the "vo", then I heard "di a' vola", accent on the "a"... I'm pretty confused here! After spending some time in Tuscany and mispronuoncing EVERYTHING (!) and having the servers correct me time and again...I'd like to get SOMETHING right! At least I'm getting " Nero" correct!

my wife is. she is milanese.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

by Ehud W » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:25 am

Marlyne K wrote:ooookay...which of you is correct? I was saying "da vo' la" accent on the "vo", then I heard "di a' vola", accent on the "a"... I'm pretty confused here! After spending some time in Tuscany and mispronuoncing EVERYTHING (!) and having the servers correct me time and again...I'd like to get SOMETHING right! At least I'm getting " Nero" correct!

Though I don't know Doug and his wife, I would trust an original Italian :!:
I guess mine was the legend brought to uplift the story behind the wine, like many stories behind many wines.

Doug
Thanks for the info.
Ehud
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

by Trevor F » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 am

Marlyne

In Italian the accent is on the first syllable.

In Spanish it tends to be on the second syllable, which can lead to unintended consequences.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:52 pm

Doug Z wrote:my wife is. she is milanese.

The correct answer is "my wife is. because she is my wife" :wink:

personally I'm aligned with you on this ... nehr-rho DA-vola would be my lame attempt at expaining it.

Definitely a grape with both grunt and potential - I think we'll see some great ones out of southern Italy over the next decade and perhaps even places like Australia and US will take to it.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Marlyne K

Rank

Wine geek

by Marlyne K » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Thank you all! It didn't take me long at all to figure out "pinot grigio", but this one had me stumped. Fortunately there are a few Italians among us, or married to us, to help us along! Thanks to the wife!!!!!
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by Doug Z » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:15 am

prego
no avatar
User

Josh Patt

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm

by Josh Patt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 pm

I learnt a little Italian, and Italian pronounciation is really pretty simple (certainly compared to English or French).

Generally, the stress is on the next to last sillable.
If there is an accent on the last sillable, then it is stressed, as in citta'.

In D'Avola we have the preposition di or da (of or from) preceeding a word starting with a vowel. In this case the words are joined (dropping the i in di). The accent here is on the first sillable, though I'm not sure if this is a rule or an exception.

Josh