Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine with surf and turf

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kirk Arnott

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am

Columbus, Ohio

Wine with surf and turf

by Kirk Arnott » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:33 am

We're going to one of the best restaurants in town for a July 3 surf and turf celebration. The place has an extraordinary wine selection, on the Wine Spectator's top list for decades now. I'm wondering about what wine to have with surf and turf. The Food Advisor wine match says to pick either the cabernet for the filet mignon or the chardonnay for the lobster, but if anyone has any great suggestions, i'm listening.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Wine with surf and turf

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:40 am

I would recommend Vouvray for the lobster, CS with the filet. However, if you decide on one wine to pair with both, I'd go with either a red Burgundy or Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:59 am

Kirk,

Given the time of year when most places are pretty hot, I'd choose a rich, cold chardonnay for a one-wine solution. Chardonnay is my personal favorite for the lobster-butter combination, and a good rich chardonnay won't offend the steak. The same is not true for cabernet and lobster.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:57 am

One warning: A Wine Spectator award wine list will always mean Big Names and High Markups. Don't be afraid of being adventurous and trying to find the little oddballs which sometimes end up on the list. There is a big world beyond chardonnay/cabernet. If there's a good sommelier, put yourself in his/her hands.

I was just at a business dinner in Chicago at one of the old-line surf'n'turf places with a WS Award wine list (Shaw's Crab House). Once I got past the 3-4x retail markups of already overpriced wines, I noticed that there were a few interesting bottles hidden amongst the usual big name garbage. The guys at our table ended up raving about these wines they never heard of- Savennieres? Sancerre? Pernand-Vergelesses? Gruener Veltliner? Gamay?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Once I got past the 3-4x retail markups of already overpriced wines, I noticed that there were a few interesting bottles hidden amongst the usual big name garbage. The guys at our table ended up raving about these wines they never heard of- Savennieres? Sancerre? Pernand-Vergelesses? Gruener Veltliner? Gamay?

Kirk, Stuart gave you great advice here.
no avatar
User

Kirk Arnott

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am

Columbus, Ohio

by Kirk Arnott » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:34 pm

In case anyone gets back in here, my thanks for your suggestions. We wound up having a Gregory Graham 2000 Carneros pinot noir, and it was mighty fine. The waiter also suggested cotes du rhone.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Kirk, thanks for reporting back. It's always nice to know how things worked out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Kirk Arnott wrote:In case anyone gets back in here, my thanks for your suggestions. We wound up having a Gregory Graham 2000 Carneros pinot noir, and it was mighty fine. The waiter also suggested cotes du rhone.

I was going to suggest an Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir...but I guess you found a good pinot anyway. :)