The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

POLL: Are you a smoker?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Do you smoke?

1. Yes
10%
2.. No
90%

Total votes : 86
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

POLL: Are you a smoker?

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:10 pm

A friend the other day asked how many cigarette smoking wine drinkers I know. Truth is, only one: Bill Spohn's friend of many years and now my friend, "Broocie". I know many former smokers, though. Not sure which came first, but looking back most seem to have become both more serious about wine and more serious about their health at more or less the same time.

It made me wonder how many serious wine drinkers are left who are also smokers? And if you're one, what's it like to be you? Do you feel persecuted by the non-smokers? Do you see any reason to quit? Do you believe wine will taste better to you when if and when you do?

For the purposes of this poll, the occasional cigar doesn't count. We're talking about a daily smoking habit, be that pipe, cigarette or whatever. And if you are tempted to say "sometimes" because you don't smoke every day or you only smoke other people's cigarettes, then you're a yes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: POLL: Are you a smoker?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:15 pm

I smoked for maybe 10 years when I was young and stupid (hey, I grew up in Kentucky!) But I gave it up cold turkey on the first try on March 17, 1974, at 4:30 p.m., not that anybody is counting. I haven't touched another ciggie since.

I found a marked improvement in taste and smell capability within a few weeks of quitting, and I've gotten to the point where the smell of somebody smoking 100 feet away outdoors is very obvious to me; I can't sleep in a hotel room previously occupied by a smoker, and despise a rental car so abused by the previous client. A library book that was read by a smoker is spoiled for me. And then they wonder why ex-smokers are militant. Feh!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Was one, but, thankfully, not any more.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Jenise wrote:A friend the other day asked how many cigarette smoking wine drinkers I know. Truth is, only one: Bill Spohn's friend of many years and now my friend, "Broocie". I know many former smokers, though. Not sure which came first, but looking back most seem to have become both more serious about wine and more serious about their health at more or less the same time.

It made me wonder how many serious wine drinkers are left who are also smokers?

Dale pointed out a while back that Clive Coates MW is a heavy smoker. Go figger. My sense of smell is severely compromised if someone's smoking upwind from me.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Slightly off-subject but Jacques Recht was still smoking last I heard, and Andre Tchelistcheff was also a smoker. My understanding is that quitting changes the palate, but does not necessarily make it better or worse. Apparently one does have to recalibrate.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:30 pm

One of the nicest people on this forum is a smoker. FWIW. I have never inhaled, lit, or otherwise put to my lips ANY sort of weed, tobacco or .....
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:32 pm

James Roscoe wrote:One of the nicest people on this forum is a smoker. FWIW. I have never inhaled, lit, or otherwise put to my lips ANY sort of weed, tobacco or .....

For the record, I would never deny a friend my friendship (or my company) because he or she smoked. But I would sure feel bad about seeing them do it because of the undeniable health issues involved.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:For the record, I would never deny a friend my friendship (or my company) because he or she smoked. But I would sure feel bad about seeing them do it because of the undeniable health issues involved.

Same here, although I do have asthma which means that even when I am otherwise symptom-free I have very limited lung capacity. It's enough of a problem that sometimes during the winter, we can't even have a fire in the fireplace. I would have to excuse myself if a smoker felt the need to smoke around me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:56 pm

I quit on October 15, 2004 at the stroke of midnight after smoking for 32 years. Yes, 32. I never thought I could quit and was so overwhelmed when I did that sometimes at night I would cry out of gratitude and occasionally still do. Wow. This is the first I've talked about the crying.

I didn't drink for a month because I knew that was a trigger for me. I remember having my first sip of post-smoking wine at my friends, Peg's and Dave's house. I took a sip and quickly realized that I could indeed drink without a cigarette in my hand.
Patti
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:18 pm

James Roscoe wrote:One of the nicest people on this forum is a smoker.

That's not unthinkable. Smoking and niceness don't have anything to do with each other--is there anything about the way I framed the poll that implied I thought so?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Patti L wrote:I quit on October 15, 2004 at the stroke of midnight after smoking for 32 years. Yes, 32. I never thought I could quit and was so overwhelmed when I did that sometimes at night I would cry out of gratitude and occasionally still do. Wow. This is the first I've talked about the crying.

Congratulations, Patty. That must have been very very hard after so many years. I too was once a smoker but never felt that addicted. Quit the day of my first day with my husband, and it was like I'd never smoked. It was just something I used to do--but it's much harder for most people.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Patti L wrote:I quit on October 15, 2004 at the stroke of midnight after smoking for 32 years. Yes, 32. I never thought I could quit and was so overwhelmed when I did that sometimes at night I would cry out of gratitude and occasionally still do. Wow. This is the first I've talked about the crying.

I didn't drink for a month because I knew that was a trigger for me. I remember having my first sip of post-smoking wine at my friends, Peg's and Dave's house. I took a sip and quickly realized that I could indeed drink without a cigarette in my hand.

Great work!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks! It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. And everyone around me I suppose.
Patti
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Jenise wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:One of the nicest people on this forum is a smoker.

That's not unthinkable. Smoking and niceness don't have anything to do with each other--is there anything about the way I framed the poll that implied I thought so?

Evil people in the media smoke. Good people never do. It's a loaded question. You didn't load it, the media did. I just wanted to put it out there. I am a fairly virulent anti-smoker. I happen to think this person is one of the greatest people in the world.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Smoked for a couple years in my youth, no trouble giving it up when I decided to. I try not to be too self-righteous about it though. :wink:

However, I have a friend who has smoked cigarettes for nearly 40 years. Cannot quit. Has tried and tried everything.

He gave up heroin cold turkey after 20 years and never looked back. But those cigs....... just can't do it. :?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm

23 zip ..... great news, but doesn't anybody here smoke apart from James' mystery smoker?

I know some of the lads in chat enjoy a cigar or two with a nice cignac or fortified on the odd occasion!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:16 pm

I gave up 'cold turkey' too after marrying Neil. He didn't smoke.
Last ciggie was February 1983.
That was before I became a wine taster. It was beer, or rum and coke, back then.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:My sense of smell is severely compromised if someone's smoking upwind from me.

Mine seems severely compromised if someone's smoking outdoors in the same suburb as me...
TCA and ciggie smoke. What great sensitivities to have!
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:14 am

I don't consider myself a smoker - I've never smoked cigarettes. I will have a cigar once in a great while, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:45 am

I've smoked for over 30 years and find it is one of life's great pleasures.

However, I smoke only cigars and only about 2 or 3 a week.

Dogmatic anti-smokers are rare where I live, but the government did enact a smoking ban in bars and restaurants in January.
That still leaves half the year to smoke at outdoor tables...

If I were invited to dinner tomorrow and knew I would be drinking great wine, I would abstain from smoking 48 hours beforehand.

However, it would be hazardous to claim that smokers can't taste wine.
You have only to go to a professional tasting in Bordeaux. You would see that a significant percentage of the wine professionals smoke.

To me, a good smoke caps and excellent meal, but I try to stay atuned to the wishes of those around me and have been known to abstain if it bothers anyone
(I always ask).

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:43 am

I am indeed a smoker, fairly heavy on cigarettes and moderate on cigars.

Before I go into a defense of my smoking and how it does/does not impact on my palate, I will say that any intelligent person (myself included) who smokes cigarettes is an ass and that precisely because we know exactly what smoking cigarettes does to our hearts, lungs, circulation system, skin and other parts of our body and how it impacts on our health, well-being and possibly longevity. I have never encouraged anyone to smoke and never will. On the other hand, being both intelligent and informed, smoking is a life option.

As to palate and nose - a good deal of research has shown that those who started smoking at a quite early age develop their repertoire of tastes and aromas on the background of the cigarettes. What that means is that smoking changes but does not harm the ability to taste or smell. When I talk about blackcurrants or gooseberries, the people with whom I am talking and I have precisely the same repertoire and language. Whether our brains are perceiving exactly the same sensations is something I will leave to God and the MRI people to decide.

As to the question of how my smoking impacts on others (the issues of passive smoking and of annoying others), there too I have no problem, the solution to that being simply behaving as ladies and gentlemen, respecting in both cases the rights of others. As to the draconic laws in the USA, Israel and much of Europe these days, let it merely be said that I am opposed to draconic laws of any nature, especially when those come more from Puritanical than logical needs.

In my defense (justification?) let it be said that the majority of chefs and winemakers as well as owners of chateaux and other wine estates in Europe smoke as do the majority of wine and restaurant critics on that continent.

I do have the feeling that I am about to be attacked on all of this. Fair enough and I shall rise to my defense. Let me request only one thing though.....let's avoid deep emotions and try to stay with facts.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:16 am

No I do not smoke (I did, until I finally stopped 25 years ago).

I hate it when a place gets filled with smoke and tobacco smell, I hated it even when I used to smoke.
I hate it when someone blows the smoke in my face.
I even more hate it when I drink wine and someone who is around smokes a cigar.

Nevertheless, people have the right to smoke outdoor, as long as the respect the others right to smokeless air,
and do not ignore everyone else - behaving not as cigarettes or cigar lovers, but as addicts needing their fix.

Eli
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:32 am

Why such hate?

Alex R.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:38 am

Sorry it came so hard, this is mainly because in some countries, mine (Israel) included, smokers tent to ignore the no smoking rules and smoke in closed malls, staircases of office buildings, and even elevators.

No hate whatsoever...

Eli
Next