Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Five from Recanati

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Five from Recanati

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:39 pm

This afternoon, in the good company of winemaker Gil Shatzberg and CEO Noam Jacoby of Recanati winery, I tasted or re-tasted five of the winery's newly released or about to be released wines. Good company, good conversation and good wines. My thanks to Gil and Noam for their courtesies.

My tasting notes follow. For the record, all but one of the wines were re-tasted blind earlier this evening in my own tasting room.

Best
Rogov

Recanati, Chardonnay, 2007: With its notes of melon, lemon, lemon peel and light hints of fresh sea air and minerality, calls to mind a Petit Chablis. Developed sur lie for several months, showing fine crispness and liveliness, a very good bet for summertime drinking. Drink now-2009.NIS 59. Score 88. K (Tasted 22 Jul 2008)

Recanati, Sauvignon Blanc, Reserve, 2007: Crisp and aromatic, unoaked and showing fine fresh fruit and good balancing acidity. Light straw in color, light- to medium-bodied, with appealing grapefruit, kiwi and passion fruit backed up by hints of white pepper and a note of freshly mown grass. Lively and refreshing and with just enough complexity to grab the attention. Drink now. NIS 69. Score 89. K (Re-tasted 22 Jul 2008)

Recanati, Petite Sirah-Shiraz, Special Edition, 2007: Lives nicely up to the good reputation that this wine has earned in past years. A blend this year of 60% Petite Sirah and 40% Shiraz, dark royal purple in color, medium-bodied, showing soft, well integrated tannins and just the right note of dusty oak. On the nose and palate blackberries, blueberries and cassis, those matched nicely by notes of chocolate and mocha. Simultaneously "fun" and elegant. Drink now-2011.Price Not Yet Available. Score 90. K (Tasted 22 Jul 2008)

Recanati, Cabernet Franc, Reserve, 2006: With its once firm tannins now integrating nicely, showing medium-dark garnet, full-bodied, and reflecting its 14 months in oak with generous but not imposing sweet cedar. Opens with blueberries and blackberries, those going on to show black cherry and plum fruits highlighted by notes of tobacco, bell peppers and a hint of licorice, all lingering nicely on the finish. Drink now–2013. Score 91. K (Re-tasted 22 Jul 2008)

Recanati, Cabernet Sauvigjon, Reserve, 2005: Showing better than at an earlier tasting. Dark garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with softly caressing tannins and showing a generous array of blackcurrant, wild berry and purple plum fruits, those supported nicely by hints of sweet herbs. Rich, round and generous. Drink now-2011. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 22 Jul 2008)
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: WTN: Five from Recanati

by EY Han » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Daniel,

Thank you so much for continuing on your generous, exceptional, and quality posts of your recent winery visits! I am very much looking fowarding to tasting the Recanati Special Edition Petit Syrah-Shiraz, 2007 and Reserve Cabernet Franc, 2006. I sure hope that the new Special Edition bottles will be priced similarly to that of the 2006 release…

Best wishes,
E.Y.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:55 am

A communication received now from the winery informs me that the suggested retail price of the Special Edition wine will be NIS 75 (about US$ 23).

Best
Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:59 am

I purchased my first few bottles of that special edition (2004) less than 2 years ago for about $15/bottle. Damn inflation!!!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Loweeel

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:05 pm

Triangle Below Canal, New York, NY, USA

by Loweeel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:A communication received now from the winery informs me that the suggested retail price of the Special Edition wine will be NIS 75 (about US$ 23).

Best
Rogov

Oh man. I have to get my hands on some of that this year. Is it only being sold from the Derekh HaYain stores again?
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 pm

The wine is surely available at the Derekh HaYain (Wine Route) chain and at selected restaurants. I simply do not know if it is available elsewhere. Perhaps a phone call to the winery would answer the question....

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Alek W

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

by Alek W » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Gary J wrote:I purchased my first few bottles of that special edition (2004) less than 2 years ago for about $15/bottle. Damn inflation!!!

I thought that the wine in question was first released in 2006. Have I missed something?

Daniel Rogov wrote:The wine is surely available at the Derekh HaYain (Wine Route) chain and at selected restaurants. I simply do not know if it is available elsewhere. Perhaps a phone call to the winery would answer the question....

Lats year I got it directly at the winery, and for a very good price.

Alek.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:39 pm

The first edition of this popular Recanati blend was released in 2003 and until 2005 was part of the Reserve series. In 2006 it moved into the category of "Special Edition".

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Alek W

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

by Alek W » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Could you please provide TNs for 2003-2005 editions? Your books list only Petit Syrah-Zinfandel, and no Petit Syrah Shiraz.

Thanks,

Alek.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Whoops.......From 2003-2005 it was indeed Petite Sirah-Zinfandel. My goof.

Best and Blushing
Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Whoops.......From 2003-2005 it was indeed Petite Sirah-Zinfandel. My goof.

Best and Blushing
Rogov

Can't say that I am blushing, but I too was talking about the Petit Sirah/Zin blend. I did try the 2006 PS/Syrah blend while in Israel last year and thought it was great, but have never seen it here Stateside...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Leanne S

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:32 am

Rogov, Lewis isn't there anymore, is he? Where did he go?
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:35 am

Other than the Chardonnay, do any of the other recently released wines bear Gil's signature?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:28 am

(a) The Chardonnay, Petite Sirah-Shiraz and the Cabernet Franc carry Gil Shatzberg's name as winemaker

(b) Lewis has made the move back to the United States. Should anyone care to contact him, please send me an email to drogov@cheerful.com and I will send you his personal email.

Best
Rogov