Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR: Several Iraeli whites

no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

TNR: Several Iraeli whites

by Eli R » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:26 pm

Daniel Hi,

TNR for several Israeli white wines, most recent ones please:

Golan Heights Winery, Chardonnay, Yarden, 2005
Golan Heights Winery, Chardonnay, Odem Organic Vineyard, 2005
Dalton, Sauvignon Blanc, Reserve, 2006

Thanks,

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR: Several Iraeli whites

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:22 am

Eli, Hi...

Following are my most recent tasting notes for the wines in question.

Best
Rogov

Golan Heights Winery, Chardonnay, Odem Organic Vineyard, Yarden, 2005: Full-bodied, opening with floral and citrus, those going on to tropical fruits and figs, all set off by hints of smoky oak, ginger and, on the long finish, ripe pears. Drink now–2012. Score 91. K

Golan Heights Winery, Chardonnay, Yarden, 2005: Oak-aged for seven months, full-bodied, bright gold in color, with nutty, floral and woody notes highlighting ripe tropical fruits, pears and citrus. On the background a nice hint of white pepper, all leading to a long finish. Drink now. Score 89. K

Dalton, Chardonnay, Reserve, 2006: Light golden-straw in color, showing tantalizing hints of light but spicy oak, and opening to show grapefruit, orange and apricot fruits, those backed up by good natural acidity to keep the wine both sophisticated and lively. Drink now. Score 89. K
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:07 am

Daniel, Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe I picked a nice mix.
As the "drink now" wines are for consumption in the very near future, is it alright to keep them in the kitchen fridge?

How about the Odem Organic Chardonnay that I may want to wait for next year - no room in the wine fridge.... :(

Eli

P.S. could you please add the Dalton, Sauvignon Blanc, Reserve, 2006.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:57 am

Eli, Hi....

Worth keeping in mind that my notation for "drink now" translates into drink now or in the next year or so
The notation "drink up" means that you should be getting to the wine as soon as possible

With regard to white wines in the refrigerator - truth is no harm will come from keeping them in a regular frig (ideally on a lower shelf, one with minimum vibration) for a year or so. If there is a danger it is that a good deal of condensation will form on the bottle and although this will not harm the wine in the short run it might loosen the label which might float off leaving you wondering just which wine is what.

As to Dalton's 2006 Sauvignon Blanc Reserve, please don't ask how it happened (because I do not know) but somehow that one and my tasting table never crossed paths.

Best
Rogov