Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Niter Kibbeh (Ehtiopian spiced clarified butter)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

RCP: Niter Kibbeh (Ehtiopian spiced clarified butter)

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:34 pm

Just the other day I made (for the first time in a while) Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Stewed in Berbere Sauce). I had posted this recipe, and its ingredient recipes for Berbere and Niter Kibbeh, in the previous fora, but I realized that they haven't been posted here yet, and IMO they're too good to be forgotten. So here they are again, starting with the Ethiopian version of clarified butter or ghee.

Enjoy!
=================

Niter Kibbeh

This seems to be Ethiopia's answer to ghee. It is the cooking fat that is almost ubiquitous in Ethiopian recipes. Plain butter (clarified preferred) or oil can be substituted in recipes, but the original has a marvelous aroma and flavor.

1 lb unsalted butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 1/4" thick slices ginger root
3 cardamom pods (broken open)
1 2" stick cinnamon
3 cloves
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds

Substitute an equivalent amount of ground spices for the whole, if you don't have them. Dried or ground ginger can be used in place of fresh.

1) Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.

2) Add all the other ingredients. Simmer over lowest possible heat for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally in the first 10 minutes or so helps get rid of the surface scum.

3) Pour the butter off the solids, straining it through cheesecloth so as to remove the solids and spices (which are discarded). Refrigerated, Niter Kibbeh will keep for several months.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: RC: Niter Kibbeh (Ehtiopian spiced clarified butter)

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:26 pm

Paul, I've been meaning to thank you for posting this recipe. It works wonderfully well with roasted vegetables, which I add a minute or so before taking the vegetables out of the roaster.

The cardamom and the ginger add a wonderfully exotic aroma.

Did you post the Doro Wat recipe?

Regards, and thanks again, Bob
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks, Bob. Yes, the recipes for Doro Wat and Berbere are also posted to this forum. You can find them using the "search" feature.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:07 pm

Damn, I meant to make this and never did. Thanks for the repost.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

"FLDG dishwasher" request

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:58 pm

Jenise,

In your role as "FLDG dishwasher", could you change the title of the root topic of this thread (and also the Berbere and Doro Wat recipes) to have "RCP" rather than the unsearchable "RC" in their names?

-Paul W.

P.S.: Last time I went to make an Indian recipe calling for ghee, I found that my stock of ghee had gone rancid. I used niter kibbeh instead, with nothing but positive results.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: "FLDG dishwasher" request

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:44 am

Aha! The "edit" feature of this forum software let me change the title to read "RCP" rather than "RC" myself, without intervention from the archangels.

-Paul W.