Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

The Role of the Sommelier?

The Sommelier's Role Includes Tasting the Wine and That's Fine With Me
31%
The Sommelier's Role May Include Tasting the Wine But I'd Rather He/She Left the Tasting to Me
45%
Tasting the Wine Should Not be Part of the Sommelier's Role
7%
Depends on Several Factors (Please List Those)
10%
No Way, No Time, No Place!!!
7%

Total votes : 29
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Wine Poll #001: Who Should Taste Your Wine?

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:56 pm

An interesting article in the Washington Post Sunday Magazine of July 20, 2008 was about a 24 year old studying to take the Master of Wine exam. He is a sommelier here in DC who, apparently, always tries the wine he has opened for customers - to make sure it's good. This very much surprised me when I read it. In the past I have offered to let the sommelier have a taste, especially of an old or rare wine, but routinely?
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 pm

The sommelier who is tasting your wine is not doing it to become familiar with or to enjoy the wine but to check and see if the wine is off. Think of a busy restaurant where he/she opens and sips from fifty or more bottles a night. Also realize that the sommelier takes a small enough sip that it can be tucked into a corner of the mouth without swallowing (one swallow from each of fifty bottles and you'ld have a very loopy sommelier). His/her tasting is work. Not pleasure.

The glass we choose to offer is a different story altogether.

Best
Rogov
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:The sommelier who is tasting your wine is not doing it to become familiar with or to enjoy the wine but to check and see if the wine is off.

Then the restaurant would be remiss or negligent if they hired a sommelier that was insensitive to TCA, and unable to detect corky wine. Yet I have seen this repeatedly. Many otherwise perceptive tasters may be relatively insensitive to corkiness.
Previous