Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Galil Mountain, Barbera, Israel, 2006

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:00 pm

With Galil Mountain's 2006 Barbera now making its way to market, just about everyone is curious. I had tasted this wine earlier in pre-release and I too was curious. I did not make it to the unveiling of the wine at the winery but did receive a bottle for tasting several days ago, that today making its way into my blind tastings (in the case of various Barbera d'Asti, Barbera d'Alba, and other wines made entirely from Barbera grapes). My tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Galil Mountain, Barbera, 2006: Showing darker, deeper and even more impressive than at an advance tasting. Now showing medium- to full-bodied, almost inky ruby towards garnet in color, with its impressive 15% alcohol content in fine balance with wood, tannins and fruit. On the nose and palate blackberries, blueberries, plums and violets, those supported nicely by notes of vanilla, milk chocolate and, rising on the long finish notes of black pepper, minerals and red cherries. Generous but gently mouth-coating tannins, fine concentration make this supple wine a fine candidate for drinking now or for cellaring until 2011. About as fine as you're going to find anywhere with Barbera. At NIS 60 (about US$ 18) unbeatable value for money. Score 91. K
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

Re: WTN: Galil Mountain, Barbera, Israel, 2006

by Lior Yogev » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks for the notes

My favourite store didn't have it a couple of days ago. I'm gonna call them up later this week.

A good week to all!

Lior.
no avatar
User

Isi M

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 am

Israel

by Isi M » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Galil seems to be the rising star ...

And yet affordable as an every day wine.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Isi M wrote:Galil seems to be the rising star ...

And yet affordable as an every day wine.

Galil Mountain winery does it best: offering high quality at affordable prices.
Unlike some others in the "big" wineries list in Israel (big means here anything from 400,000 bottles), they do not release any "average" wine.
And yet, even their top label: the Yiron, that was given by Rogov a record score of 93 for the 2005, can be found for less in NIS: 89.99 before discount at a major chain.
Daniel, thanks for the notes, I am, curious to see how the Galil Barbera stands with other Barbera available in Israel, especially the
Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti which is offered at the same price range with a very good QPR, and the Cascina Orsolina, Barbera d'Asti Superiore, 2004 at double the price.
I will try the Galil Barbera for sure.

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:55 pm

Eli, Hi....

Following are my tasting notes for several of the Italian Barbera based wines tasted or re-tasted in my blind tasting today together with the Galil Mountain release and several that were tasted within the last 2 months. The wines you specifically asked about are included....

Best
Rogov

Cascina Orsolina, Barbera d'Asti Superiore, Bricco dei Cappuccini, Piedmont, 2004: Dark garnet, with orange and purple reflections, full-bodied, and with soft, gently mouth-coating tannins. A big wine in every way, showing forward berry, plum and cassis fruits on a background that hints nicely of orange-flavored chocolate mousse. Drink now-2010. Score 90.

Francesco Rinaldi & Figli, Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, 2006: Garnet red, medium bodied, soft, round, and oh so fruity, showing forward berry, cherry and floral notes. Not complex but very appealing, especially if served just a bit chilled. Drink now. Score 88.

Domenico Clerico, Barbera d'Alba, Trevigne, Piedmont, 2004: A very nice Barbera, showing medium- to full-bodied, with generous soft tannins well balanced by acidity and fruits. On the nose and palate raspberries and strawberries, those with appealing overlays of licorice and lightly spicy wood. As the acidity rises a bit look for a long citrus-like finish. Drink now. Score 90.

Negro Giuseppe, Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, 2004: Dark ruby towards garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with tempting black- and blueberry fruits on first attack, those yielding to licorice and mint on the long, mouthfilling and firmly tannic finish. Drink now-2009. Score 89.

Michele Chiarlo, Barbera d'Asti Superiore, Cipresse della Court, Piedmont, 2004: Michele Chiarlo makes some fine Barberas and, reflecting a fine vintage, this may be one of the best he has ever done. Dark cherry red, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins already itegrated nicely with a light spicy oak nature. On first attack violets and vanilla, those going to blackberries, plums and minerals, all leading to a generously fruity finish Drink now-2009. Score 91

Renato Ratti, Barbera d'Alba, Torriglione, Piedmont, 2005: Medium-bodied, with soft tannins and gentle hints of smoky and spicy oak and cedar. On the nose and palate appealing red currant and wild berry fruits. Not complex and not for long term cellaring but a very good match to small cuts of beef or mutton. Drink now-2009.

Vietti, Barbera d'Alba, Scarrone, Vigna Vecchia, Piedmont, 2005: Almost as good as the very, very good 1998 wine. Full bodied, still firmly tannic at this stage but with fine balance and structure that bode well for the future. Opens to reveal cherries, raspberries and purple plums on the nose and palate, those complemented by hints of baking chocolate and vanilla. On the long finish hints of red licorice. Best 2009-2014. Score 91.

Vietti, Barbera d'Alba, Scarrone, Vigna Vecchia, Piedmont, 1998: With its once searing tannins now integrated nicely with spicy wood and finally showing its inherent elegance. Opens with purple plums and licorice, those yielding to red cherry, citrus peel and vanilla and finally, on the long finish an appealing hint of raisins. Drinking beautifully now but don't hesitate to cellar until 2011. Score 93

Michele Chiarlo, Barbera d'Asti Superiore, La Corte, Piedmont, 2004: Youthful dark royal purple in color, medium-bodied, with soft tannins, a light spicy element imparted from oak-aging made as always it is from 100% Barbera and showing fine balance. Opens to show an appealing array of red berries, cassis, and red licorice and, on the long finish a hint of dark chocolate. Drink now-2013. Score 90.

Michele Chiarlo, Barbera d'Asti Superiore, Cipresse della Court, Piedmont, 2004: Michele Chiarlo makes some fine Barberas and, reflecting a fine vintage, this may be one of the best he has ever done. Dark cherry red, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins already itegrated nicely with a light spicy oak nature. On first attack violets and vanilla, those going to blackberries, plums and minerals, all leading to a generously fruity finish Drink now-2009. Score 91
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:48 am

Looking forward to finding the Galil Barbera in the states. Recently, I had the pleasure of trying the Dalton Barbera (can't recall the vintage but pretty sure it was the most recent release). How do you think the Dalton and Galil Barberas compare from a style and quality standpoint?
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:05 pm

Very good news, I will seek out some bottles. This wine "reads" like it is very different from some of the Italian Barberas that are listed in Daniel's post. That is not a bad thing though, as long as the difference in style is recognized. We need more Israeli wineries that experiment with new varietals and add their own interpretation to them.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Daniel, Hi,

Thanks for the tasting notes.
I was wondering about this specific wine:
Michele Chiarlo, Barbera d'Asti Le Orme - which is sold in the price range of the the Galil Mountain wine.
The other more superior labels, start at double the price.

Eli
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Eli, one of my everyday favorites, but completely different in style from the Galil Mountain wine (as I interpret Rogov's note):

2005 Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti Superiore Le Orme - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti Superiore (7/9/2008)
One of my favorite food-friendly quaffers. Bright purple. Fresh plum. Slightly tangy acidity. Cleansing and refreshing finish of red fruit and a bit of new-car leather. (88 pts.)

2005 Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti Superiore Le Orme - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti Superiore (5/29/2008)
A consistent performer. Black cherry and cassis on a background of lively acidity leading to a pleasing finish with some cigar box/earth. Works very well with food. (88 pts.)

2003 Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti Superiore Le Orme - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti Superiore (12/24/2005)
A bit disapointing when compared to the 2002 vintage. Candy store nose. Cherry, piercing acidity. Food-friendly. (85 pts.)

2001 Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti Superiore Le Orme - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti Superiore (11/1/2005)
Still one of my favourite QPR Barberas, with its strong acidic backbone. The fruit of the 2001 is fading a bit, giving way to more minerals / leather. It's probably time to drink this one up soon. (87 pts.)

2002 Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti Superiore Le Orme - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti Superiore (5/24/2005)
Bright red in color. Cherry on the nose / palate. Clean and crisp. More round / friendly than the 2001. Should go well with food. (87 pts.)

2001 Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti Superiore Le Orme - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti Superiore (2/17/2005)
A nice Barbera, with a strong acidic back bone. I like it better than the "Ciprese della Court" range of the same producer. Guess this one is more traditional very food friendly. The 2001 is still OK at the moment, but should be drunk soon. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:50 pm

I saw this in a shop this afternoon and opened a bottle tonight. Most enjoyable, with a very refined and smooth feel. Seems just ready to drink now. Oh yes, I also managed to get it for only NIS 50 which makes it a real bargain as well (not that NIS 60 wouldn't be a bargain as well, but ...)!
no avatar
User

Josh Patt

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm

by Josh Patt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:31 am

Picked up a few bottles. At 55 NIS I'm willing to purchase before tasting based on the notes in this thread.

I think Galil Mountain gives the best value for money of any Israeli winery, and I've rarely been dissapointed with any of their wines. I'll open a bottle when I get the chance and post my opinion.

Regaring the other Israeli Barbera, I like the Recanati and it captures something of the 'raspy' Barbera style. I've also tried the Dalton Batbera and found it simpler and less distinctly Barbera than the Recanati, but still a good wine.

Barbera is a great match for dishes with tomato sauce, where the acidity of the tomato gives other reds a hard time.

Josh
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:11 am

Josh Patt wrote:Barbera is a great match for dishes with tomato sauce, where the acidity of the tomato gives other reds a hard time.Josh

This is probably not the case with the Galil Mountain-style of Barbera. Nothing against the wine though.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:52 pm

I just posted some pictures of my first tasting on the FLDG Forum Kitchen board of this wine - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15139&p=146947#p146947. I shared it with fellow forum member Avi Hein, the blogster of "Hakerem - Israeli Wine 2.0."
I purchased two bottles, one from two different stores in Machaneh Yehudah Shuk this afternoon for 55 NIS.

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Josh Patt

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm

by Josh Patt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm

I tasted the Galil Mountain Barbera tonight (along with some other GHW wines) at Wine route in Modiin.

Jan, you're right, this is less typical of Barbera and more like most ripe Israeli reds. It's very fruity and is softer and less tangy than other Israeli Barbera. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was full bodied, but it's at least medium bodied and the concentrated fruit and high alcohool give it a soft warm feel in the mouth. The wood is quite gentle and definitely not overdone, so it adds complexity without taking away from the fruit. A very good wine that will probably be even better in another year or so.

This is a very good wine at a great price, that will probably be even better in another year or so. It's just not a light tangy Barbera to have with Pizza or pasta. It needs a more meaty dish, maybe Osso Buco Milanese?

Josh