Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Beef Jerky

User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 am

Sacramento/Davis, CA

Beef Jerky

by Ilan T » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:14 am

Hi everyone,

For those of you who do not know me, this is my first time venturing here from my regular stomping ground in the wine forum, but in addition to my love of wine, I also love cooking. A lot.

I just made my first homemade beef jerky last night. I first marinated the strips of lean beef beginning Friday morning in a blend of terriyaki, Worscestershire sauce, honey, salt, pepper, and hot red pepper flakes and then dried it last night (Saturday night-Sunday morning) on a wire rack in an oven set to about 150 degrees F (about 65 C). The results were pretty good for a blind first shot. I wanted to know if anyone in the forum makes beef jerky at home and if they could share some tips or ideas. Thanks.

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Beef Jerky

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:56 am

Love munching on jerky but much to lazy to make it at home when Basari (the meat shop on Rehov Pinchas, not far from the intersectionof Remez in Tel Aviv) does it so well.

Best
Rogov
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

by Charlie Dawg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Interesting this comes up now. The other day I was telling my wife how I would like to make some jerky.

Rogov what would be a good cut of Kosher meat to make jerky?
You are what you eat.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Love munching on jerky but much to lazy to make it at home when Basari (the meat shop on Rehov Pinchas, not far from the intersectionof Remez in Tel Aviv) does it so well.

HI Daniel,

I would be really interested to know if the meat that Basari uses to make the beef jerky is hekhshered? Thanks much in advance.

Best wishes,
E.Y.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Charlie...
Best cut to use for jerky in my opinion is beef brisket.

Eugene...

Sorry but Basari is a definitely non-kosher butcher shop.

Best
Rogov
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

by Charlie Dawg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Thank you Daniel. i was looking at the piece of brisket the other day, just as if I knew about this thread.
You are what you eat.