The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cellar Interloper

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

Cellar Interloper

by Dave Moritz » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:23 pm

From time to time, I like to go down into my old basement cellar just to stare at my collection of wines, perhaps just to watch them age a bit! I suppose you could call it one of life's cheaper pleasures (i.e., the staring, not the acquisitions). At any rate and subsequent to a two-week absence of not having done so, I decided to "commune" with my precious bottles this eve. After a minute or so of low light adjustment for my aging eyes, I was startled to find a pair of shiny black eyes staring right back at me!

Ah, so Mr. Mouse has come to pay my cellar a visit! For whatever reason, I've never been able to summon much enmity for a creature as visually endearing as a mouse. Thus I was pleased that he hung around for a few minutes, affording me the opportunity to observe wildlife in my own home (yeah, right!)!

Upon his departure, I did a quick inspection of bottles and found that he'd chewed a quarter-inch hole through the aluminum capsule of a recently-acquired 2004 Schmitt-Wagner Riesling Kabinett. A note to David B.: The little beast took only one small bite out of the cork (TCA, perhaps?).

Notwithstanding my ambivalence for keeping this type of company in my cellar, could anyone give me an idea whether this capsule chewing business might develop into a serious problem?
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: Cellar Interloper

by TimMc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:56 pm

I'm thinking your rodent will pose more of a problem for the household....they chew electric wiring, too.

I'd call your local exterminator and take him out, er...the mouse, I mean. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:09 am

Capsule chewing is no big deal. Cork munching is another matter. I am in agreement with Tim as to other damage the rodent might do. He is a rodent after all. He lives to chew.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:46 am

Just a reminder that mice are carriers of hantavirus and other communicable diseases. That's not Mickey you're looking at.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:29 am

Get a cat! :twisted:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:35 am

Howie Hart wrote:Get a cat! :twisted:

You know you're in trouble when the cat asks whether mice should be served with red or white.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:

You know you're in trouble when the cat asks whether mice should be served with red or white.

If the mouse is chewing cork, maybe the cat will drink the corked wine?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:39 pm

I think there are two issues, David, aesthetics and integrity of the cellar.

Mice and insects may chew on the labels as well as the capsules and the cork. Not so pretty when sharing your treasures with friends and family.

More important is how the mice get into the cellar itself. If your cellar is heavily insulated, you certainly will have heat loss, and perhaps other problems. I would carefully inspect for the entry point -- I found one in our cellar in the ceiling where the electrician failed to close in his cable for the light.

If you have a passive or less than air tight cellar, it's best to get rid of the mice -- as a farm boy, we were taught that if you saw one mouse or rat, you probably had a hundred or more. We certainly learned the truth of that rule of thumb as we finished feeding out the last several bushels from a corn crib in the late spring or early summer.

One other consideration, if you are like lots of other WLDGers, based on a survey awhile back, you are apt to store foods and other things in your cellar.

Off them I say.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:55 pm

However there lies a further problem. Let the cat have access to the cellar and the bottles might start smelling of Sauvignon Blanc :twisted:
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:43 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:

However there lies a further problem. Let the cat have access to the cellar and the bottles might start smelling of Sauvignon Blanc :twisted:
regards
Ian

Is this a bad thing? At my house the litter box is in the wine cellar. It reminds me to drink more SB!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:45 pm

I say terminate with extreme prejudice. Fievel is spreader of disease, a destroyer of property, and no respecter of fine wine.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:27 pm

I had a family of mice move into my tractor late one fall. They were all snug and cozy until I turned the engine over for one last time prior to the winter. Not only was my intake now full of mouse bits but they had gnawed the insulation off of quite a bit of wiring. :evil:
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

by Paul Savage » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:24 pm

Dave,

I had a few mice in my cellar last year, and found that my local hardware store had inexpensive little "Catch 'Em Alive" traps made just for mice! It's a little plastic box, about 2" x 4", with a hinged plastic door that closes when they crawl in to get a piece of cheese or peanut butter. It took me all of 10 minutes to catch the first mouse! <g> I guess he was hungry! I turned him loose in the back yard! If you can't find them, I can send you one of mine! ...Paul
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:

Let the cat have access to the cellar and the bottles might start smelling of Sauvignon Blanc :twisted:
regards
Ian

ROTFL!! Pipi du chat, anyone?
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:10 pm

I think the tough question is which cheese to serve in the trap. Maybe you could just use a capsule of the 2004 Schmitt-Wagner Riesling Kabinett since it chose that from your entire cellar (better taste than some critics). Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: I am in agreement with Tim as to other damage the rodent might do. He is a rodent after all. He lives to chew.

Thanks, David.

You see? Powerful minds do think alike :D
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:28 pm

Well it looks like the verdict is in, and it's thumbs down for the rodent! I like Paul's trap and relocate idea, though I might take the little gray one a bit farther than the back yard. Thanks to all of you for a truckload of hoots!
Dave Mo...