Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wedding wine

no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Wedding wine

by Eli R » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi, All

We discussed this topic on our old forum:

http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=16501

Just wanted to share with you that the wedding was on Thursday, July 31 - my son got married.

We did serve Galil Mountain as I planned, only that the current availability in the market is only for the 2007 vintage.
We had the CS, Merlot and the Viognier- all from 2007.
With all the single malts served, we heard no bad comments on the wine.
I did make a toast with few friends and family over a couple of GHW Merlot 2003 and CS 2004 bottles.
And the young couple selected the Viognier for the ceremony, the Rabbai did not object and everyone was happy.

Here is my original contribution on that thread:

My choise is Galil Monutain.
If fact this fine winey is my personal choise for a family event.

All of their basic wine's are listed around 40 NIS: C.S., Merlot, Syrah, and 2-3 whites including the Viognier

The Shiraz-Cabernet blend is around 50 NIS. All of the wine's are more than just plain basic.

Rogov's latest TN:

Galil Mountain, Chardonnay, 2006: Light straw in color, medium-bodied, crisply fresh and aromatic, aged partly in oak and partly in stainless steel, showing apple, melon, citrus and tropical fruits with light creamy and soicy notes. Drink now. Score 88. K (Re-tasted 24 Dec 2007)

Galil Mountain, Viognier, 2006: My earlier tasting note holds firmly: Lightly golden with greenish tinges, this medium-bodied, lightly oaked white opens with a lively and spicy nose, then reveals enticing aromas and flavors of peaches, nectarines, pears and apples backed up by spring flowers and minerals, all complemented by hints of white pepper that play nicely on the palate. Delicious. Drink now–2009. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 24 Dec 2007)

Galil Mountain, Shiraz, 2006: Dark garnet, medium to full-bodied and araomatic with soft tannins integrating nicely and showing a generous array of red and black berries, cherries and plums, those on a lightly spicy background. Easy to drink but with enough complexity to command our attention. Drink now–2009. Score 88. K (Re-tasted 24 Dec 2007)

Galil Mountain, Merlot, 2006: Dark ruby towards garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins settling in nicely now. On the nose and palate an array of red and black berries, purple plums and orange peel notes, those on a light background of Mediterranean herbs. Drink now-2010. Score 90. K. (Re-tasted 24 Dec 2007)

Galil Mountain, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006: My earlier tasting note holds firmly: Super-dark garnet, showing moderate spicy and vanilla input and soft, near-sweet tannins . On the nose and palate blackberries and blueberries, currants and, coming in from mid-palate, hints of earthiness and freshly turned mushrooms. Best from 2009. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 24 Dec 2007)

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Wedding wine

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Eli, Hi.....

A warm mazal tov* on your son's wedding.

Best
Rogov

* For those perhaps not in the know mazal tov (pronounced maZahl tov in Hebrew and maZel tuf in Yiddish) translates to "congratulations"
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

by Doug Z » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:52 pm

* For those perhaps not in the know mazal tov (pronounced maZahl tov in Hebrew and maZel tuf in Yiddish) translates to "congratulations"

in hebrew-best of luck
in yiddish- anything from "congratulaions" to "your mother in law just got run over by a freight train"
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Eli,

Mazal tov and many blessings upon your family!!!

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Daniel, EY, Doug,

Thanks for all the wishes, Eli
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:53 pm

bsd
Mazal Tov,lots of joy from them,
Being the 2007 was used could we ask fro a posting on the TN's for those??
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Galil Mountain 2007

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Harry, Hi.....

Ask and ye shall receive.....

Best
Rogov

Galil Mountain, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007: Super-dark garnet in color, showing moderately firm tannins in fine balance with Cabernet black currant and blackberry fruits. Round, concentrated and near-elegant. Drink now–2010. Score 89. K

Galil Mountain, Merlot, 2007: Unoaked, with soft, near-sweet tannins and showing inky-garnet in color. On the nose and palate red and black berries, cassis and hints of Oriental spices and dark chocolate. Drink now–2010. Score 88. K

Galil Mountain, Viognier, 2007: Dark golden-straw with tinges of orange, showing good balance between wood, acidity and fruit. On the nose and palate floral, light mineral, summer fruits and melon come together nicely. Drink now–2009. Score 89. K
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi

Galil Mountain, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007: Super-dark garnet in color, showing moderately firm tannins in fine balance with Cabernet black currant and blackberry fruits. Round, concentrated and near-elegant. Drink now–2010. Score 89. K

Two comments:

1. I tried the above wine at home, as I drink only a glass a day on week days, I can testify that the wine was at its best on the second day with additional 30 minutes in the glass. For me it remains one of the best supermarket price reds available in Israel.

2. There will be a Galil Mountain tasting in the wine route chain this coming friday with the above wines and the Barbera.

Eli