Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Michael Greenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Wines we enjoyed last week (July27-Aug2,2008)

by Michael Greenberg » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:52 pm

I will start the thread again this week on last week's tastings..though I had more beer than wine last week so I only opened 1 new wine:

NAVARRO COREAS GRAN RESERVA MALBEC 2005,Mendoza Argentina

I expected a lot (ince Bodegas Correas was a Top 100 Wineries of the World named by Wine &
Spirits Magazine -Nov. 2007),but though I found the wine to be a pretty godd Malbec,it failed to make an "outstanding" impression with me...some nice aromatics waft off the glass and lots of flavour (blackberry,black cherry,cedar ,some coffee hints) BUT found the flavours stonger on the finish in sort of a rebound after effect combining with the power of the tannins
than a more plush but bursting effect on the palate ---I've tasted better Malbecs on the palate.so I would only give this wine about an 88 score in the overall ...
no avatar
User

William Laird

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:35 am

Re: Wines we enjoyed last week (July27-Aug2,2008)

by William Laird » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:16 am

Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva 2005

A wine the enjoyment of which probably exceeds its score.
I found this already very approachable and enjoyable, especially the long lingering pleasure of earthy vanilla.
Also good value in Israel at 100 shekels ( c. $ 28 )

Bill
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

Re: Wines we enjoyed last week (July27-Aug2,2008)

by Ryan M » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:53 pm

I drank on cheap but decent mag of Cali Merlot over the weekend but that hardly deserves mention. But I did take advantage of the wines being offered for tasting while I was wine shopping. Three wines, with no themes I could see. One very nice, one good but not my style, and one very dissappointing:

Kenwood, Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma 2006
Inviting nose. Delightful, sweet but reasonably focused fruits. Citrus, peach tropicals, and vegetal tones. Very Californian. I'm not usually a fan of Cali SB, but this is one of the better ones I've had. Good value for $10. Excellent (87 - 90) [8/2/08]

Evil, Cabernet Sauvignon, SE Australia 2006
Burly, big cherry/cassis, with pehaps some tobacco and spice undertones. Extracted fruit character - very Aussie. A very good wine, but lacks the underpinnings to give its ripe fruits contrast - not quite my style. Around $12 - not unreasonable. Very Good / Excellent (86 - 88) [8/2/08]

MacMurray Ranch, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast 2005
The alcoholic nose made me wary from the start, and my first sip resulted in what I'm sure must have been a nasty face. Actually has pretty nice, albeit a bit light, dark red fruits, with some interesting ashy tones, but is completely overblanced by a pure alcohol character. Smells and tastes mostly of alcohol - but suprisingly it's only 13.5%. It turns out that this is my second tasting of this wine, the previous having been 2/26/07 - and although the character was similar, that bottle was more balanced and fairly nice. Quite a suprising difference - perhaps the fruits have started to subside, but I find that quite suprising. Can't say I cared for it this time. Not a bad drink, but not worth its $16 price tag. Pleasant (80 - 83). [8/2/08]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)