The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SF Chronicle Article On Rieslings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

SF Chronicle Article On Rieslings

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Here's the article:

Refreshing German Rieslings are sweet, but not to a fault. W. Blake Gray, Chronicle Staff Writer, Thursday, July 6, 2006

The article doesn't say too much, but I kind of take exception to the following:

"German wines require learning not just new words, but new concepts. The most important is ripeness level -- grapes for Auslese wines are riper than those for Spatlese, so the wines are sweeter(emphasis added). Kabinett grapes are less ripe than Spatlese."

Certainly the grapes may be riper the higher up the Prädikat ladder one climbs and this may mean relatively more sugar. Still in all, it doesn't mean that the grapes are not vinified to dryness with the resultant wines not being sweet.

What say you, oh Riesling experts and Liebhaber?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: SF Chronicle Article On Rieslings

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:24 pm

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE it when some cheap hack tries to simplify German Riesling. They invariably get it wrong (or at least party wrong) and actually make it more complicated.

I don't care how "resepcted" the author might be. When it comes to German Riesling he's a cheap hack.

I won't harp on the technical issue that it's not ripeness that is measured but sugar content (they are different things...you would think a guy from CA would know that).

And there does not have to be any relationship between sugar content and final sugar. Some producers make auslesen that have lower residual unmentionable than other's spatlese. Then there's the acid issue. It's all about balance. Leitz Dragonstone (a QbA) has some of the highest residual sugar around, but all that buffering material makes it balanced. Then give the wines a year or two from the vintage (something not hard to do in wine shops where 2002s are still lying around) and the sugar, acid and extract come together in an even less sweet tasting, integrated whole.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Ach du liebe Schande, David, I didn't want to send you careening into a Charlie-Brown-Lucy-has-yanked-the-football-again Urschrei!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:16 pm

and also the opportunity to voluntarily downgrade (say from auslese to spatlese).
If the audience is a very general one, then it would have been a decent approximation a few years ago, but the recent trend for dry wines has thrown that generalisation out of the water.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:26 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:and also the opportunity to voluntarily downgrade (say from auslese to spatlese).
If the audience is a very general one, then it would have been a decent approximation a few years ago, but the recent trend for dry wines has thrown that generalisation out of the water.

Ain't that the truth...
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Just remember , Guys...the Chronicle is now owned by the Hearst Corporation; famous for the use of yellow journalism.

Anymore, I take anything I read in that paper with a large grain of salt.

Too bad....it was once a very well written paper. :(
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:35 pm

Thank goodness I was away and did not have to read this drivel.
Mind you, I might have posted it and said "here is an interesting article" without reading it. LOL.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:27 pm

Are you insinuating that this article was for the birds? :lol:

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:36 am

Very droll!! So which species?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:01 am

Bob, these are goslings, but I couldn't tell you what kind. I didn't see any bottles of vodka, so I'm assuming they're not Grey Geese. One did keep hanging an "eh" at the end of his sentences, so my suspicion is that they are Canadian Geese.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:14 am

They look like Canadian Geese to me. Although they now breed up and down the east coast. Like many Canadians, they can't stand the cold weather in Canada so they flock to the U.S. :P :twisted:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:27 am

Did you all know that the Canada goose has been split again. We now have the Cackling Goose which is the smallest sub-species around. They migrate through here on their way north, so could be seen on the east coast maybe?

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/cackling_goose.htm

If one scrolls down, there are also some nice images of Ross Goose and Snow Goose. Glad I have your attention!!!!!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:24 pm

TimMc wrote:Just remember , Guys...the Chronicle is now owned by the Hearst Corporation; famous for the use of yellow journalism.

Err... How long ago would that have been? Recall Tom Lehrer's quip on TWTWS: "A considerable amount of commotion was stirred up during the past year over the prospect of a Multi-Lateral Force, known to the headline writers as MLF. Much of this discussion took place during the baseball season so the Chronicle may not have covered it..."

That pretty much sums up my experience with the Comical. I used to read it mostly for Art Hoppe and the comics.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
TimMc wrote:Just remember , Guys...the Chronicle is now owned by the Hearst Corporation; famous for the use of yellow journalism.

Err... How long ago would that have been? Recall Tom Lehrer's quip on TWTWS: "A considerable amount of commotion was stirred up during the past year over the prospect of a Multi-Lateral Force, known to the headline writers as MLF. Much of this discussion took place during the baseball season so the Chronicle may not have covered it..."

That pretty much sums up my experience with the Comical. I used to read it mostly for Art Hoppe and the comics.

Mark Lipton

Why shouldn't they have nuclear warheads? England says no, but they all are soreheads...

Tom Lehrer, the original politically incorrect comic.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:33 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:

Mark Lipton

The owners of the SF Chronicle sold out to the Hearst Corporation August 6, 1999.

I was a very sad day in journalistic credibility.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1999/08/07/MN58756.DTL