The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Molin 2004 - Lugana DOC Superiore

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

WTN: Molin 2004 - Lugana DOC Superiore

by Peter May » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:56 am

Molin 2004
Lugana DOC Superiore
Azienda Agricola Provenza
13%

Pale straw colour, fragrant nose, dry medium bodied with lemon and pear flavours and a twist of acidity on the finish

Good food wine with enough weight to balance both curried scampi and chicken in a lemon sauce

€17.50 in a restaurant in Sirmione, Italy

I could see the vineyards of Lugana from where I am writing this - if it wasn't for the trees in between. The vinyards are located on the southern edge of Lake Garda around the small lakeside town of Lugana straddling the border between Breschia and Lombardy regions

Lugana is famous for its white wines made from a blend of local varieties but primarly from an indigenous clone of Trebbiano, however I cannot recall having tasted any before this one
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Re: WTN: Molin 2004 - Lugana DOC Superiore

by Agostino Berti » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:09 pm

Oops. I recommended this wine to you in another post. I guess I didn't see this post! Funny how we found different characteristics in this wine. I had one tonight (Ca' dei Frati) which had a very delineated nose of flint? smoke? something I can't put my finger on. This one was non-oaked. Anyways, from what I was told the vineyards are palnted on land that used to be covered by the sea, resulting apparently in a sapid, salty, minerally wine. Enjoy.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: Molin 2004 - Lugana DOC Superiore

by Peter May » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:05 am

I should have mentioned that the wine I had was aged 6 months in oak.

I don't know about the vineyards being under the sea -- if so, it must have been many millions of years ago and I guess one could say the same about most of the worlds lands. The vineyards and winery are between the Sirmione peninsula and the motorway exit.