Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

SHL 1998 - regular fridge ???

by Menach N » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:04 am

Rogov hi
a friend of mine has recieved this wine -Smith Haut Lafitte 1998- as a gift, a month later i still saw it on the shelf in his dining room, i gave him over the head that such a wine should be stored properly and not wasted onthe shelf (otherwise ......give it to me :wink: :lol: ) so then he put it in the fridge, a regular fridge ie for food, i guess the tempature there is about 48-50 or maybe 46-48 or even lower, anyway its been there for another month, soo my question would be what do you say about all of this and what should i or maybe he should expect from this wine ? i guess BAD i didn t get BUT ...!!
he asked me and im fwding it to you, thoughts and advice please and please again.

and BTW -my extended question- how long could a wine live in a regular fridge ??

Please and Thank you
best regards
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: SHL 1998 - regular fridge ???

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:30 am

Menach, Hi....

Wines, thankfully, are often more resilient than we think. A month on the shelf of the living room (unless the living room attained 35 or higher degrees on a regular basis) probably did little more than deduct a year or two from the lifespan of the wine. As to keeping sealed wines in regular refrigerators - not ideal but will probably do no harm in most cases for six months or so.

Best
Rogov
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

Re: SHL 1998 - regular fridge ???

by Menach N » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Thank you very much Rogov !!
best regards