Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Oven roasted tomatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Oven roasted tomatoes

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:53 pm

Using suggestions by David Rosengarten and John Ash, I had some fun with rather early Roma tomatoes. Trim off the navel, cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and goo, then lay them face up on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle generously with coarse salt, then bake for 4 hours in a 250 degree F oven. This concentrates the flavors beautifully. I tossed this batch with olive oil, crushed garlic, pepper, and a little balsamic, then put them on garlic-rubbed bruschetta. Finished with a slice of fresh mozzerella.

These would also be great cut up and tossed with pasta and some olive oil. Or on focaccia. Hmmm, I've got a few left, I think I'll combine them with some fried okra, red pepper, and mustard seeds...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Oven roasted tomatoes

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:33 am

That sounds so easy... and so good!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:14 am

I am looking for something vegetable to plate with some tellegio/grilled radicchio/truffle pastries I'm making today. Was going to fill some cherry tomatoes with cucumber mousse, but oven roasted tomatoes suddenly sound like just the ticket (for a brunello tasting).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:23 am

What they really are is sun-dried tomatoes without the sun. Juicier and sweeter, too. For that side/garnish, I'd dress with some olive oil and maybe top with a little chopped marjoram.

Saaaay, when are you coming down to get Stupified?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:35 pm

Stuart,

Done these many times in the past--they come out like tomato candy. Anyway, thanks to your suggestion, when I got up this morning (the second time) I went straight to the market for romas and a tray is in the oven as I type.

About getting stupefied--darn, I want to! Been having trouble getting away though lately: my husband's been pretty ill.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Jenise wrote:Stuart,

Done these many times in the past--they come out like tomato candy. Anyway, thanks to your suggestion, when I got up this morning (the second time) I went straight to the market for romas and a tray is in the oven as I type.

About getting stupefied--darn, I want to! Been having trouble getting away though lately: my husband's been pretty ill.

Well if you do get a chance to come down here, you will need to let me know, too!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:32 pm

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Well if you do get a chance to come down here, you will need to let me know, too!

Mike

This sort of thing ought to carry the Surgeon General's warning.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Oven roasted tomatoes -love these.....here is how I do mine

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Today, I picked Romas, Cherokee Purple, German Strip, Early Girl, Sun Gold Cherry and a red cherry. Prepare a large cooking tray with foil wrap, toss in the washed cherry toms. Cut the rest into wedges, about the same size. Drizzle with EVOO, coarse salt and freshly gr. pepper. This was a large juicy batch, so I roasted at 425° until the juice is almost dried up and they begin to brown. Cool a little, toss into food processor with a small head of roasted garlic and/or two to three anchovy fillets. Whirl away.
Makes a wonderful tomato sauce or paste (depending on the juice content) which I use for pasta sauce, pizza sauce, soups, etc.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Mike

This sort of thing ought to carry the Surgeon General's warning.

Aw who wants to live long enough to end up looking like C. Everett Koop, anyway....

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:41 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Today, I picked Romas, Cherokee Purple, German Strip, Early Girl, Sun Gold Cherry and a red cherry. Prepare a large cooking tray with foil wrap, toss in the washed cherry toms. Cut the rest into wedges, about the same size. Drizzle with EVOO, coarse salt and freshly gr. pepper. This was a large juicy batch, so I roasted at 425° until the juice is almost dried up and they begin to brown. Cool a little, toss into food processor with a small head of roasted garlic and/or two to three anchovy fillets. Whirl away.
Makes a wonderful tomato sauce or paste (depending on the juice content) which I use for pasta sauce, pizza sauce, soups, etc.

Sounds great, Karen! Do you freeze it for further use or make small batches as needed?

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:51 pm

Oh, give me a break.

Rain, rain, rain.

Wonderful flowers.

No tomatoes.

Do I have to buy some tomatoes from Florida or Holland to make this stuff?

Is there any way to bring this topic back automatically, say on August 1, Robin?

Pox on youse!

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:35 pm

Sounds great, Karen! Do you freeze it for further use or make small batches as needed?

Mike

Yes Mike, I store in those one cup plastic throw away containers from the grocery store and freeze. They keep just fine until I run out by next tomato season. One year I had enough for two years.
Just finished my sauce a few minutes ago and for some reason the anchovy was very salty. I had a few frozen and wanted to use them up. I wonder if they got saltier from freezing? I think next time I will only use one fillet per batch.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Jenise, I am sorry to know that Bob has been ill. Here is hoping that he is on the mnend and will be back to normal very very soon. Please give him my best.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:45 pm

Bob, on August 1 you'll have tomatoes too good to roast!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:46 pm

Stuart, thes sound made to order for me to do on the new ceramic grill. I am thinking of maybe 4-5 hours at the recommended temperature, cooked over the Coconut Extruded Charcoal. WOW, this might be the recipe of that I file right along side of your minestrone recipe! Hey, any chance of seeing you at Mo'Cool this august? weekend of the 26th!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:51 pm

From your mouth Stuart ...

With all the water we've had this year I may have plenty to eat and to roast/freeze.

I'm busy pruning back these days.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:27 am

FWIW, I've always done oven roasting at 200-250, six to eight hours. Yesterday I had a time crunch so I sped it up, starting at 300. I also sometimes do them in a dehydrator. Anyway, I figured I'd lower the temp as soon as they started looking worse for wear, but they never did. Yes, they browned a little more than they otherwise would have, but that wasn't unattractive or untasty. After three hours the thinner walled tomatoes in the bunch were done and could be removed, and the others dried out a little more in the next 30 minutes.

Nice to know one can speed up the process without damage, if needed.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Proud Daddy Moment: My five year old at Round Table Pizza (with mommy, not me!), asking if they had "sun-tried tomatoes."

Second Proud Daddy Moment (OT): I bought some Brentwood corn to take over to a Stupidfest. I left two ears behind for Linda to cook for herself and Jimmy. She puts them in the pot of water like I showed her, whereupon the 5 year old pipes up, "Don't leave it in there too long or it will turn to MUSH!"
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:26 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:...scoop out the seeds and goo...

It just dawned on me to ask... what did you do with them? Compost or did you find an edible use for them?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:02 am

An ecologically responsible person would compost. Me, I toss 'em down the In-Sink-Erator.
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:28 am

Not that I'm ecologically responsible, but I save all the seeds/juice/goo in a container in the freezer, and add to soups in the winter. IMO, that's where the tomato flaver is concentrated, and adding it to soups that contain tomatoes (like veggie soup, or mushroom barley soup) just punches up the flavor a bit.
Cheers,

Niki