The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gideon Keith-Stanley

Rank

Just got here

Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

WTN: 2000 Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon

by Gideon Keith-Stanley » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 pm

2000 Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon:
Found on sale ($8.79), perhaps by accident, with a selection of 2004s, I snapped up this wine and hurried home with it, anxious to try it. Served with charcoal grilled ribeye, steamed broccoli, and sauteed red potatoes, it performed well. Upon opening, this bottle revealed pleasantly complicated flavors: mixed plum and berry, strong hints of spice, and some other tone I could not place. I allowed it to breathe for about an hour while dinner was prepared. Strong, ripe plum in the nose, smooth and complex in the mouth combining rich plum flavors with touches of berry, pleasant hints of spice in the long finish. It easily stood up to steak and potatoes, being full bodied and silky. Flavors were strong enough to handle perhaps even something peppered or strongly acidic. The wine still had some decent tannins to it, perhaps it has a year or two left in it before it peaks out. A-
Arr, I be havin' a southern accent!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2000 Woodbridge Cabernet Souvignon

by Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:39 am

Gideon, welcome to the forum. Nice note. Your Woodbridge, is that the Woodbridge that's part of the Mondavi family of wines? I can't place the name....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gideon Keith-Stanley

Rank

Just got here

by Gideon Keith-Stanley » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:21 pm

Thank you, it's great to be here. Yes the Woodbridge in question is the Mondavi owned winery. It's been a family favorite of ours for a good long time now.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:02 pm

Gideon, welcome to the forum. If this is your first post on the forum you came out swinging for the fences. :-) Where do you live is the next question. My third question is what was the size of the bottle of Woodbridge cabernet? if it is the 1.5 liter then you got a good buy. If however it is the 750ml bottle that is a tad high for my neighborhood. My favorite of the Woodbridge wines is the sauvignon blanc. If you haven't had it try it as a summer sipper...no food needed, but it handles food well also.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gideon Keith-Stanley

Rank

Just got here

by Gideon Keith-Stanley » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:09 am

Thank you Bob, this is in fact my first post here. Yes, it was a 750 mL, I tend to find the same size and brand at about $10 a bottle here, so it was a good deal for where I am. I live in Oklahoma City, where good wine does tend to be a little on the expensive side. We have an energetic wine making community here, I've had good experience with some of the local wine and bad experience with it as well. I hope to soon provide wtn for some of the local vines. I do like the woodbridge sauv blanc very much, I served it once at a small dinner party with chicken franchez and spaghetti al burro, it was a smash. I don't recall the vintage or specific flavors that it had, but I do recall that it was wonderful. Well I'm glad to be here everyone, thank you for the welcome!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:10 am

We like their Zinfandel best. Having said that they all vary from year to year. Look out for what I believe is one of their spinoff brands, Three Blind Moose. The Cab in that line, which sells at the same price point as Woodbridge, came to us as a gift. It was the worst wine we've had in decades.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:13 am

Gideon, welcome to the board. Thanks for posting on the Woodbridge.