Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Two Kosher Wines from Bordeaux

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:30 pm

An increasing number of negotiants, many based either in Israel or the USA, are hunting for wineries, large and small that will produce kosher wines for them in Bordeaux. All of which is fair enough, for an increasing number of observant Jews in both of those countries are seeking to broaden their culinary and wine horizons.

Don't expect to see any of the truly great chateaux starting to produce a kosher line. Do, however, expect a generous increase in the number of such wines from little-known producers, some of which will be doing a fine job and others not so fine.

Both of the following wines were made for Shimshon Welner whom as many will recall was the founding CEO of the Golan Heights Winery and now the negotiant responsible for the Tierra Salvaje wines from Europe and South America. Both wines will be available only in the USA at this time and the suggested retail price per bottle is US$ 12.00.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Haut Philippon, Bordeaux, 2007: Dark ruby towards garnet in color, medium-bodied, with soft tannins and generous spicy wood, those parting in the glass to reveal appealing blackberry and currant fruits. Not complex but easy to drink and a good match to small cuts of beef or lamb. Drink now-2009. Score 85. K (Tasted 24 Aug 2008)

Chateau Haut-Mont-Saint-Pey, Bordeaux, 2007: A simple little quaffer, pale garnet in color, somewhat watery and dilute on the palate, with almost unfelt tannins and only the skimpiest of red fruits. Drink now. Score 80. K (Tasted 24 Aug 2008)
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

Re: WTN: Two Kosher Wines from Bordeaux

by Menachem S » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Daniel, what you consider the best effort to make a kosher version of a non-kosher wine?

What aboutthe best kosher wine from a non-kosher winery (not a copy of another wine exactly)?

I would think the answer to the second might be capcanes peraj ha'abib . . . but wolcome your thoughts

thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Menachem S wrote:... what you consider the best effort to make a kosher version of a non-kosher wine?

As an "off the top of the head" response, I'd say Chateau Giscours and several of the other Bordeaux producers. Let me keep those to myself for a while though - at least until my new "Rogov's Guide to Kosher Wines" makes its appearance.

What about the best kosher wine from a non-kosher winery

I might be very tempted, as you are, to think of the Capcanes Peraj Ha'Abib wine.

Best
Rogov
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

by Menachem S » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:03 pm

Are you putting out a new book?

Did I miss something?

A book on kosher wines, not Israeli Specific?

Details please, details . . .
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Menachem, Hi....

I've dropped a few hints before but here are a few details. There will indeed be a new book "Rogov's Guide to Kosher Wines" that to carry the (tentative) subtitle "The 500 Best Kosher Wines of the World" and, like the Israeli wine book, this too will be an annual publication. Same format as the Israeli book, divided in this case not into wineries but into countries and regions and with crits of the 500 best kosher wines I have tasted each year.

For sure many of the wines listed will be Israeli but I am putting a limit on those in order to give the rest of the world (a considerable portion of the planet) and Israeli wines will only enter if they have scores of 89 or higher while world-wide wines will enter if they have scores of 85 or higher.

The first edition is scheduled for release before Rosh HaShannah 2009.

Best
Rogov
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

by Menachem S » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:57 pm

Fantastic, looking forward.

Will there be information on wineries as well, or really just the wines?

Also, I have to wait till Rosh Hashanah 2009 to get some advice on Bordeaux?

Want to try some very good bordeaxs - can you give me 3 kosher recemondations and their notes?

I like my wines full bodied, and my prices under $75

Thanks!
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Menachem, Hi....

No one will have to wait. Tasting notes will be posted according to special tastings on my part as well as to requests (as always).

As to recommendations.....here are a few. I'll have to let you check prices yourself as those can vary enormously from locale to locale and even from store to store....

Best
Rogov

Chateau Labegorce, Margaux, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Think of this as the younger brother of the non-kosher edition if you will – younger, ready to drink earlier but reflecting much the same personality. Medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins only now starting to recede and opening in the glass to reveal blackberry, raspberry, black cherry and white chocolate all leading to an appealing After-8 minty note. A generous wine, but not one for long term cellaring. Drink now-2012. Score 89. K (Re-tasted 3 Aug 2008)

Chateau Pontet Canet, St. Julien, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Medium- to full-bodied, showing traditional Caberent Sauvignon blackberry and black currant fruits, those complemented comfortably by hints of spices, minerals and licorice. Long and near-elegant. Best 2010-2014. Score 91. K (Tasted 3 Aug 2008)

Chateau Peyrat-Fourthon, Haut-Medoc, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Dark garnet, this traditional Bordeaux blend (55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 36% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot) shows full-bodied, with soft, gently mouth-coating tannins and light hints of spicy wood highlighting blackcurrant and blackberry fruits, those complemented nicely by hints of bitter-sweet chocolate and tobacco. Long, round and generous. Drink now-2011, perhaps longer. Score 90. K (Tasted 5 Jan 2008)

La Demoiselle d'Haut-Peyrat, Haut-Medoc, 2003 (Kosher Edition): The second wine of Chateau Payrat-Fourthon but with no need at all to feel second-class. Garnet towards royal purple, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot,Cabernet Franc and PetitVerdot (55%,36%, 5% and 4% respectively), almost but not quite a twin to the first wine, this one showing medium- to full-bodied, with good balance between soft tannins, wood, acidity and fruits. Opens with blue- and blackberries, goes on to show blackcurrants and chocolate and on the medium-long finish, a hint of espresso coffee. Drink now-2010. Score 88. K (Tasted 5 Jan 2008)

Chateau Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2001 (Kosher Edition): A kosher wine that has beguiled in the four times that I have tasted it, that because it has always shown better than the regular (i.e. the non-kosher edition) and because it seems to show positive and unanticipated developments in the bottle each time I taste it. Full-bodied, with fine balance between gently mouth-coating tannins and dusty oak. Opens to reveal a complex array of blackcurrant, blackberry and purple plums on a spicy and vanilla-rich background. Generous and long and perhaps finally showing its best. Drink now-2011. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 12 Jun 2008)

And one from Sauternes

Chateau Piada, Sauternes, 2006 (Kosher Edition): Not the superb 2001 but a wine that stands quite comfortably on its own. Medium- to full-bodied, with light botrytis influence, generously sweet and with good balancing acidity. Opens to reveal citrus peel and butterscotch, those yielding to show notes of summer fruit-flavored marzipan. Approachable now but best from 2011. Score 90. K (Tasted 6 Aug 2008)
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

by Menachem S » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks.

Do you have a tasting note for the Chateau Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2003?

Thanks again
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

by Menach N » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm

There will indeed be a new book "Rogov's Guide to Kosher Wines" that to carry the (tentative) subtitle "The 500 Best Kosher Wines of the World"

Fantastico !!
really looking fwd to it,

The first edition is scheduled for release before Rosh HaShannah 2009.

is this release date for Isrl or the US ?

pls and thnx
best..
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Menach, Hi....

The book will be released simultaneously in Israel, the UK, Canada and the USA. Should be available for advance purchase if anyone is interested via Amazon and Barnes and Nobles several months before the official release date. The point is to have it available for purchase and as gifts well before Rosh HaShannah.

Best
Rogov
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:39 pm

Thank you
i will look out for it
ciao
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:42 pm

Menachem, Hi....

Following is my most recent tasting note for the wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Medium- to full-bodied, with generous but gently mouth-coating tannins and showing fine balance between those, wood and fruits. A blend this year of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petite Verdot (50%,35%, 10% and 5% respectively), showing blackberry, currant and blueberry notes, those supported nicely by hints of spices and Mediterranean herbs. Long and generous. Drink now-2012,perhaps longer. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 22 May 2008)
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

by Menachem S » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:36 pm

and while I'm making requests - the regualr (non-kosher) edition?

Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

TN: Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2003

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:37 am

Menachem, Hi...

Following is my tasting note for the regular (i.e. non-kosher) edition of the wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2003: Dark garnet towards youthful royal purple, medium- to full-bodied with soft tannins integrating nicely and showing appealing black and red berries, cassis and orange peel notes, those on a floral and spicy background. Long and elegant. Approachable now but best 2009-2015. Score 91. (Tasted 26 Apr 2006)
no avatar
User

Simon P

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 am

by Simon P » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:52 pm

Daniel,

Wonderful news about your Guide to Kosher Wines. I await it eagerly!

Simon
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Menach, Hi....

The book will be released simultaneously in Israel, the UK, Canada and the USA. Should be available for advance purchase if anyone is interested via Amazon and Barnes and Nobles several months before the official release date. The point is to have it available for purchase and as gifts well before Rosh HaShannah.

Best
Rogov

Rogov hi
i just did the "advance purchase" -on amazon.com- of your 2009 isrli wine book (nice cover) but i couldnt find the other one, actually im not sure how its called, can you please direct me :? ?
i figured its a little over a month before Rosh Hashana so it could be availabe already, ..?
Per Favore e Grazie !!
looking really fwd to them ;)
best regards
meanch
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:05 am

Menach, Hi......

When you refer to the "other book" I suspect you are referring to Rogues, Writers and Whores which is also listed on Amazon. As to Rogov's Guide to Kosher Wines , that book will be available for Rosh haShannah next year (2009).

Best
Rogov
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:27 pm

:lol: :oops:
Thanks Rogov, i tought this year.
i also relaized i didnt put the name of the "other book" my apologies, but yes i ment the Rogov's Guide to Kosher Wines
thank you again
best and :-)
Menach