Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

de Sacy Kosher Champagne in Israel (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:16 pm

Those concerned with maintaining kashrut know that kosher Champagne has been around now for a good many years and that kosher editions are produced by some of the best-known Champagne houses. Among those I have tasted and enjoyed in the past, many very close in quality and style to their regular editions have been the kosher Champagnes of Pommery, Laurent Perrier, Piper Heidsieck, Charles Heidsieck, Monopole Heidsieck, Louis de Sacy, Nicolas Feuillatte and Charles Lafitte. Among others that I have not (yet) tasted are the Champagnes of Roi David and Comte de Tebault.

As noted, I have tasted the Champagne of Louis de Sacy on several earlier occasions. The reason for my most recent tasting was that for the first time this kosher edition of this wine, already widely available in the USA and France has become available in Israel.

Established in 1633, and with vineyards located in Verzey in La Montagne de Reims (about 20 minutes from Reims), the de Sacy clan is the only Jewish family in the region producing Champagne. The non-kosher Champagnes of the house have a good name and I have always found that their kosher editions every bit as good as the non-kosher. I will also admit that I rather like the house's slogan: "The Other Great Louis". Whatever, my tasting note follows. The wine is being imported to Israel by Jean Michel Gozlan, a member of the de Sacy family, and can be ordered directly by telephoning M. Gozlan at 052 2400218.

My tasting note and a comment on value for money follow.

Best
Rogov

Louis de Sacy, Champagne, Brut, Grand Cru, n.v. (Kosher Edition): A traditional Champagne, a blend of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Meunier (60%, 35% and 5% respectively). With a good mousse and sharp, long-lasting bubbles, the wine shows deep golden with an orange tint, opens with a rather generous whiff of yeasts but that settles down quickly to reveal appealing aromas and flavors of red berries, peaches and citrus peel, those complemented by notes of sourdough bread and minerals. Score 90. K. (Re-tasted 28 Aug 2008)

As to comments –

(a) That this is a very good wine is obvious. If I have any problem with it at all it is with the price in Israel of NIS 420, which at today's exchange rate is approximately US$ 120. The wine sells in the USA for between US$ 45-50. Considering that Champagne prices within Israel have fallen considerably and that this wine is going for at least double the price in the USA, I cannot help but scratch my head just a bit…..

(b) That the wine is mevushal (flash pasteurized) does not take away from its charm but I would suggest drinking this one within a year of purchase in order to "be on the safe side"

(c) On the off-chance that anyone is wondering, my comparative flight for tasting this wine consisted of the brut n.v. Champagnes of Veuve Cliquot, Piper Heidseick, Duval Leroy as well as the Gamla Brut and Carmel's Private Collection Brut.
After my tastings and with lunch two of those bottles were consumed between four people. You had best believe that today's afternoon nap was well deserved!
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: de Sacy Kosher Champagne in Israel (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:34 am

P.S. to My Above Post: I have just received a communication from the importer. He wrote that he regrets his error but that the price of the Champagne in Israel is NIS 320 (about US$ 89)

Best
Rogov