Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

The Wine Critic's Saturday Morning

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:48 am

Well, Saturday morning and early afternoon......

My favorite crow, who seems to have a nest on the roof opposite that of our own apartment building, woke me at about 05:30, obviously uncomfortable because our local cafe had not yet opened and nobody was giving him his daily croissant. Fair enough....I'd complain a bit as well if deprived of my morning croissant so considering his squawking and that the cafe opens at 06:00, I dressed, made my way to the cafe and there shared my first croissant with my buddy, his wont being to squat on the edge of the table there to much away like a gentleman. Being a family man, he ate his fill and then took a somewhat larger chunk to fly away to his family.

My second croissant, parts crumbled, were shared with several of the sparrow that had come to call. The birds did leave my coffee entirely to me.

Home to a small tasting (only 11 wines this morning..... after all, it is Saturday) and then off to meet friends for a 10:00 brunch at Dixie. In my case a small entrecote steak topped by two fried eggs, a generous portion of spicy home-fried potatoes, and after that two fat knockwurst with nothing more than a bit of sharp Dijon mustard. With the meal and shared with the friends one bottle of Cava and one of the 2005 Yatir Forest.

Home, more coffee, formalizing some tasting notes, planning the week ahead. And now to my afternoon nap. At the moment at least, not a complaint in the world.

Best
Rogov
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

Re: The Wine Critic's Saturday Morning

by Doug Z » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:33 am

if i was the crow, i would be wondering why i was taken to dixie as well.

he is probably muttering, "all i get was croissant crumbs while he eats knokwurst". sheesh.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:44 am

Finest kind.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:56 pm

No choice but to confess that the afternoon and early evening were quite pleasant as well.

At home, mostly working but quite comfortably at my machine (my name for the computer when I'm in an affectionate mood), and not long ago a break for a light meal of a salad in which cold pasta (bavette) was tossed together with barely cooked and then chilled fresh green peas, and a melange of fresh green herbs, those treated to nothing more than black pepper, mayonnaise and lemon juice. With that, for a change in pace, unsugared lemonade (I do not add sugar to my wine, my coffee or my lemonade). In the background Mozart.

Nicely, nicely!

Best
Rogov