Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rosé Wines Grow In Popularity: Justified or Merely a Fad?

Roswines deserve their new-found popularity
64%
The increase in popularity of rosé wines is merely a fad
28%
No opinion
8%

Total votes : 25
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Wine Poll #005: The Increasing Popularity of Rosé

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:45 pm

That the demand for and popularity of rosé wines is on the rise worldwide is beyond question, some even saying that sales are increasing of these wines are increasing by between 20-50% annually.

The question, simply put, is this rise justified and is rosé becoming a permanent major part of the wine scene or is it merely a passing fad? And, of course, your comments and observations are most invited.
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Wine Poll #005: The Increasing Popularity of Rosé

by Hoke » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:04 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:That the demand for and popularity of rosé wines is on the rise worldwide is beyond question, some even saying that sales are increasing of these wines are increasing by between 20-50% annually.

The question, simply put, is this rise justified and is rosé becoming a permanent major part of the wine scene or is it merely a passing fad? And, of course, your comments and observations are most invited.

How about splitting the difference and saying it is a fad that won't fade.

I think as the wine-drinking public gets both more numerous and more sophisiticated as to what they are drinking (and one would hope more immune to pretension, but that will take a while), and gets more comfortable and confidant with drinking what they want to drink rather than what they are told to drink, that roses will take their proper place again.

It has always been interesting to me that in France, that icon of wine consumption, that the majority of wines made and consumed are roses.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Hoke wrote:It has always been interesting to me that in France, that icon of wine consumption, that the majority of wines made and consumed are roses.

Welllll ... statistically valid, but how much of it is good rosé. Hoke? I love a crisp Provence pink when the weather and what's on the table fit, but I'm not sure I would say that rosés form the majority - or anything close to it - of all the wine I drink, French or otherwise.
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 pm

I refer to local, simple Rosés in my answer. I believe the key aspect is they're fun and accessible. Many of the local Rosés are easy drinking, go well with food, have attractive color and are usually very conveniently priced (~10$). In the local summer - the average rosé can be even nicer than a white purchased for a similar price, and could be more refreshing. Personnaly speaking - why not?

Lior.
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Welllll ... statistically valid, but how much of it is good rosé.

"Statistically valid": a correct statement.

How good it is must be left to the drinker to decide. Apparently rose is good enough for the French to drink more of it than either red or white wine. As I said, in the country that's synonymous with wine, for most, that's a pretty strong indicator that there must be a strong attraction for rose.

I know you've never been a particular fan of rose's charms yourself, Robin, but that doesn't negate the fact that a hell of a lot of people are---people that are drinkers, not hobbyists or fanciers.

I've always felt some of my best times, in terms of sheer enjoyment of the essence of wine, was when I was in the south of France, in a gite, stopping at every winery in the vicinity, and lugging home bottles of rose (and yes, sure some reds as well, although not that many whites, truth told) to glug away with dinner...or just sitting in the Provencal sun and watching the heat shimmer up off the olive groves. Sure seemed like "good" rose to me at the time. :D
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 am

I've had some wonderful Rosés, and much of their charm has been situational - the place, the weather, the food.

I don't know about any great resurgence for these wines = I'd settle for them to simply get over the undeserved perception as poor cheap wines when many are quite good.

I would note however that I would susbcribe to the proposition (were anyone to espouse such) that there will never be a 'great' Rosé - they can attain modest heights and that should be enough. The very best versions, the ones that I would rate most highly would be sparkling wines - I've had some damned fine Champers that was Rosé.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:44 pm

I'd say they well deserve a higher profile, and I'd like to see more readily available quality rose's at competitive prices.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Michael Greenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:32 pm

by Michael Greenberg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:50 pm

I am not a big Rose fan--never touch the stuff...
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:06 pm

Michael Greenberg wrote:I am not a big Rose fan--never touch the stuff...

Michael, Hi.....

May one be bold enough to ask: "And why not?"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Hoke wrote:
It has always been interesting to me that in France, that icon of wine consumption, that the majority of wines made and consumed are roses.

Hoke, what is your source for this, which surprises me greatly? From a quick Google, it looks to me as if French consumption of rosé in 2004 was 7 million hl out of a total wine consumption of 33 million hl. Rosé has progressed since then but not so much as to reverse the proportions.
Tim York
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 am

More wineries seem to be making rose, and taking care about it. Whilst there is plenty of pink lolly-water to be had if that's what you'll settle for, there has been a big increase in Oz of drier, more interesting rose wines over the last handful of years. If rose has increased in popularity, it has also enjoyed an increase in quality too. There are some roses that I like, and enjoy with casual meals at home, and there are few things nicer than a really good rose champagne/sparkling wine.

Matilda
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:09 pm

Tim York wrote:
Hoke wrote:It has always been interesting to me that in France, that icon of wine consumption, that the majority of wines made and consumed are roses.

Hoke, what is your source for this, which surprises me greatly? From a quick Google, it looks to me as if French consumption of rosé in 2004 was 7 million hl out of a total wine consumption of 33 million hl. Rosé has progressed since then but not so much as to reverse the proportions.

That surprised me, too. Especially the "always" as there were a couple articles this summer about the increased French purchases of rose, all variations on this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wine/main.jh ... ose113.xml

20-22% is different from most. The article say IF there is an especially hot summer, it might be half sales, but that is a guess (and based only on summer sales,not annual). And I'd guess that exports are less than domestic, which means probably less than 20% of production.

I'd guess that most pinks worldwide are insipid, some are decent for what they purport to be, and a small percentage are worth attention. But I love that last group.

In my case (geeky guy in a major market) shopping for French or Italian pinks I think there are some good filters, that mostly eliminate the truly insipid, and increase the possibility of the interesting:
1) the most insipid are seldom picked up by a US importer.
2) beyond that,  paying attention to US importer makes a big difference- if I know something is imported by Dressner, Lynch, Rosenthal, etc I'm more likely to buy.
3) good wines stores add another layer of selection.

I look for suggestions from people I trust. I picked up a new pink for me Saturday. An Etna Rosso rosato by Terre Nere. Skurknik import, I've heard good things about producer on WLDG, good store. Never heard of this particular wine, but worth a shot based on those factors.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 pm

I have been impressed with the roses I have had lately. Both from France....Baudry Chinon and Lancyre Pic St Loup.
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:07 pm

Dale and Tim:

My most recent edition of Decanter magazine reports that rose sales are greater than white wine sales in France.

But, okay, I'll take out the "always". I'll say instead that in French wine drinkers have always consumed copious amounts of rose. How about that?
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Hoke wrote:My most recent edition of Decanter magazine reports that rose sales are greater than white wine sales in France.
But, okay, I'll take out the "always". I'll say instead that in French wine drinkers have always consumed copious amounts of rose. How about that?

Hoke,
no one disputed that the French consume a lot of rose. No one disputed that for the first time the French drank more rose than white. But 20% rose beating 18% white is quite different from a "statistically valid/correct statement" that "rose is good enough for the French to drink more of it than either red or white wine."

I like pinks, drink them a lot, just was surprised by that assertion.