Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Zemora Winery - Any News?

User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Zemora Winery - Any News?

by David Raccah » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 am

Hello Daniel,

On Startsplace there was talk of the Zemora Winery. With the talk of Binyamina Winery being sold, I thought about Zemora, any news?

Best Wishes!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Zemora Winery - Any News?

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:17 am

Nothing to report yet. As far as I know, the winery is still for sale. What with Zemora, Amphorae and Binyamina as well as major ownership/partnership arrangements at La Terra Promessa and several other boutique/artisanal wineries though, one begins to wonder.....

Ye faithful albeit thoroughly confused curmudgeon
Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:10 am

As long as you bring up La Terra Promessa it should be noted that this small family run winery has been doing well and a partner was brought in so that the winery can move to a new larger location, expand production as well as the scope of their business. The owners/winemakers at LTP are also fabulous chefs and the new facility will include a gourmet restaurant.

Just wanted to clarify that new partners were brought in as part of an expansion plan, not because things were going poorly...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Nothing to report yet. As far as I know, the winery is still for sale. What with Zemora, Amphorae and Binyamina as well as major ownership/partnership arrangements at La Terra Promessa and several other boutique/artisanal wineries though, one begins to wonder.....

Ye faithful albeit thoroughly confused curmudgeon
Rogov

Daniel, Hi,

Why do you wonder?
In today's economy partnership, alliances and investment groups are everywhere, so why not in the small winery sector.
If a family run winery does not have a financial backing and would like to make a living from producing wine and grow, the above events are expected.

My only hope is that they are all interested in wine and not for example in real-estate - re Binyamina.
Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Eli, Hi.....

One of the things that gives me cause to wonder,especially with small and medium-small wineries is the partnership arrangements. A not uncommon happening in the wine industry is the taking in of a partner with a certain cash input to give to the winery. The winery grows, say from 20,000 to 50,000 bottles annually and the new partner decides that it is time to grow to 150,000 bottles. The agreement says that in such a case the earlier partner (invariably the winemaker) must match the expenses involved in that growth. If that partner does not have the cash available he/she simply loses all control of the winery and is literally quite "out of the picture". Too many cases involving what might be thought of as an unfriendly takeover.

More than that, with the case of out-and-out sale of a winery, what bemuses me is the earlier statements of the former owners that they had started producing wine "out of love and passion". I suppose it bothers me that love and passion may be only cute little keywords to some. It bothers me even more that love and passion seem to have a price when that love and passion fade.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Daniel, Hi,

I totally agree, but this how our capitalistic economy works.
Hi-tech startups work out exactly the same:
If the idea is good and has the potential for making profits, and the person behind it is reasonable, and has proven that he can deliver, there is no problem to find new investors for second, third and more rounds of investments.
The founder will stay in the picture if he responds to sound economic reasoning.
However, if he wants to protect his "baby", which in the wine business will involve spending like there is no tomorrow to make everything perfect, and then not willing to release the wine to the market when the "time is right" and at the right price and so on, he will be shown the way to the exit door and may have, if he still has the passion, restart from scratch.

Eli
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Taking the emotional side out of the equation is tough. Being in the startup business in California/Silicon Valley, I can say that I have seen this occur all too many times, some are nice, and some are ugly as sin. I guess a few things come to mind:

1) Usually, in the startup business, the founder gets stock and at least will something for his/her work/effort. But in the wine business - this sounds less likely and that is truly sad
2) Passion and all is fine, but when the thing you built is ripped from your hands, it gets personal (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... B0E641.DTL) - by the way the suit was won by the founders.

I guess - business is business and if you place your name on a contract or allow a new name on that contract, the game changes.

Best Wishes,
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.