Let me tell you how many viogniers I own

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: Let me tell you how many viogniers I own

Postby Jenise » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:58 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:Viognier does very well in Washington State, where it obtains enough acidity to be interesting. Two producers that readily come to mind are Rulo and Whitman Cellars. Cougar Crest is good, but their last version had too much wood for me. A wine friend tells me Cayuse is a dandy -- no personal experience.

I put in an order for the Rulo, Whitman and Cayuse, Randy, thanks for the reccos. And I note, that the store I was at had exactly two viogniers in stock: one Washington, a Terra Bianca whose shelf-talker made me think "dead old lady" and a cheapie Montpelier from California. Tends to suggest that demand for the grape, at least in my area, is low.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Peter May » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:28 pm

After posting here last night went for a meal. Restaurant has full, but as we have been regulars in past week we were asked to wait 5 minutes + given a glass of house wine.

A smell. No! Could it really be? Here in Italy? A taste of apricots and a oily fat bodied mouthfeel. 'What do you think it is?' I asked Jo. ' Viognier' she replied.

Quiet pleasant but not enough acidity for Jo for us to buy a bottle for dinner. But I asked to see the bottle and it was a Viognier blend with Chardonnay and Greciato.
What a co-incidence, eh?
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Jenise » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Peter, what karma! Too bad it wasn't a better example--I'll bet that "oily fat" thing only accentuates everything that many of us tend to dislike about the grape. Where in Italy are you?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Paul Winalski » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:44 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I've read two to four years, Paul. Sound right? Thanks. Bob

Most Condrieu is ready to drink on release. Two years won't hurt. Four years is about the outside limit, by conventional wisdom.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Bob Ross » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:24 pm

I got what I like about this wine.

My first big love affair. She wore "Wind Song". :-)

Only great memories -- although she booted me.

Worked out great for us both -- and Viogner has some of those Wind Song elements I remember so well.

Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby James Dietz » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:32 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I got what I like about this wine.

My first big love affair. She wore "Wind Song". :-)

Only great memories -- although she booted me.

Worked out great for us both -- and Viogner has some of those Wind Song elements I remember so well.

Regards, Bob

Love and Viognier, Bob, yeah.. .that happened to me too...and maybe that explains my appreciation of Viognier too.....fortunately I have not yet gotten the boot... and hope I don't....

Nice vignette...
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Postby Bob Ross » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:04 pm

I wonder James how much of our appreciation of particular wines is informed by earlier memories of smells, pleasant and unpleasant.

I know that the smell of new mowed grass brings back a particular memory of when I was five -- so real that it seems like it happened yesterday.

I'm glad things are going well on the domestic side -- they sure are here. :-)
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Peter May » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:55 pm

We're staying in Sirmione, which is at the tip of a narrow peninsula jutting into the mid-southern end of Lake Garda in Northern Italy.

There is only one entrance to the old town, and thats through the gatehouse and over the wooden drawerbridge of the 13C castle that defends it. The castle is surrounded by water and looks just like a castle should, with high towers and impessive battlements.

Vehicle access is strictly limited,and we don't understand how deliveries for the hotels and restaurants are handled as we've not seen delivery lorries, the road is not much wider than a car at several arches through ancient fortifications and there is low height clearance.

see http://www.sirmione.com/english.htm for views of the castle entrance
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby James Dietz » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I wonder James how much of our appreciation of particular wines is informed by earlier memories of smells, pleasant and unpleasant.

I know that the smell of new mowed grass brings back a particular memory of when I was five -- so real that it seems like it happened yesterday.

I'm glad things are going well on the domestic side -- they sure are here. :-)

I think context makes a huge difference. I have had wines that probably were less-good than I thought at the time in some absolute sense, but which were stunning given the place, the company, the ambience in general.

Wine is always better if the domestic side is good!! :D
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Wow, is that beautiful, Peter! I am/was previously unfamiliar with it; you apparently holiday there often?
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Frank LaClair » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:52 pm

Hello folks, my first post here. I don't have a great deal of experience with Viognier, but have had both good and bad ones. I'm thinking of trying a Bridlewood for this evening. I'll let you know what I think.

I was at Lake Garda two weeks ago. Didn't get down to Sirmione, but went through Garda and Malescine and Riva del Garda. Immensely beautiful area. The view of the Lake from on top of Mt. Baldo is unbelieveable. Enjoy your stay.
The best adventure is often found when you have no idea where you're going.
Frank LaClair
Cellar rat

Postby Frank LaClair » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:57 pm

Hey Jenise,

I was hiking in the Wiemenuche area a couple of years ago and fell in love with the SanJuans. Great place to get to, and I'd love to visit the hot springs in Pagosa Springs. Stayed a night in Durango and a night and day in Creed as well. I envy your view. A toast to the mountains !!!
Frank LaClair
Cellar rat

Postby Robin Garr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Frank LaClair wrote:Hello folks, my first post here.

Frank, a warm welcome to you, and thanks for jumping right in!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Randy Buckner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:10 pm

Another very fine producer of Viognier from WA is McCrea -- hard to find though. He has established an impressive track record for this wine.
Randy Buckner
Wine guru

Postby Frank LaClair » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:14 pm

I appreciate that. I've been reading for quite sometime, so I decided to register so I could converse with other wine lovers.

I just returned from a two week adventure in Northern Italy and Catalonia in Spain. I visited a winery in the Priorat called Mas Igneus. It was special, intense, muscular reds with just the right amount of tannins to make you smack your lips. They produce a value priced white that is unusual for the Priorat that was served very cold, it was delicious. :)

The best adventures are often found when you have no idea where you're going!!!
Frank LaClair
Cellar rat

Postby Bob Ross » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:16 pm

Welcome Frank. Love to read about your travels. Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:42 pm

Yeah, welcome Frank. Great to have a travelling man here and looking forward to reading some of your tasting notes.

Bob/Edmonton aka Doris.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Peter May » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, is that beautiful, Peter! I am/was previously unfamiliar with it; you apparently holiday there often?

No, its our first time. The location and hotel were recommended by friends who do regularly holiday here.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Peter May » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, is that beautiful, Peter! I am/was previously unfamiliar with it; you apparently holiday there often?

No, its our first time. The location and hotel were recommended by friends who do regularly holiday here.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Peter May » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:13 pm

Frank LaClair wrote:

I was at Lake Garda two weeks ......Enjoy your stay.

Thanks, Frank, and welcome to the forum.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby OW Holmes » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:38 pm

Welcome, Frank. We look forward to your participation. :D
-OW
OW Holmes
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:36 pm

Bucko--I'll add the McCrea to my list. Or have Nancy ship me a bottle.

Frank--glad you decided to emerge from lurkdom. But I don't think we mean the same San Juans--I was talking about the Islands in Washington State's Puget Sound region.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby JC (NC) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:03 pm

Just got caught up with the Viognier postings. I enjoyed Jenise's introductory essay and David Bueker's comment among others. I've had the Miner Viognier at a wine dinner and wasn't terribly impressed but I did rather like one I had in Virginia (either Horton or Barboursville--I don't remember which.) The Miner Viognier and the Steele Viognier (when young) were such different types that I was left unsure which one was more typical of the variety and which was atypical.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Jenise » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:08 pm

JC,

Never had Steele's viognier but in general, I haven't found Steele wines typical of anything except the ripe, oaky California style. My meager experience suggests the Miner has better varietal character.

Horton--now there's a blast from the past. The very first time I ever heard the name was ten or 15 years ago when they made a viognier that literally everybody on the 'net was talking about. By the time I caught up with a glass of it, there might have been a vintage change or maybe it's just further proof that the grape isn't for me. I found it too soft on acid, and a bit sweet.

Say, pinotlady, have you had Arcadian yet? I'm on the hunt, as everything I've read lately suggests it's my kind of Cali-pinot.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

PreviousNext

Return to Wine Focus