Wine Poll #008: Name Your Poison

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wine Poll #008: Name Your Poison

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:21 pm

This afternoon it actually happened! I walked into a restaurant, had to wait a few minutes for my table so I siddled up to a stool at the bar, the barman came and completely straight-faced asked me, in just these words, to "Name your poison". I'll admit it made me smile (even made me think for a second that I might be the reincarnation of Humphrey Bogart), and then I ordered the beverage of my choice.

Given similar circumstances before lunch or dinner, what would be your "poison" of choice? Options are open.....name your drink and the reason you would select that one specifically.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Wine Poll #008: Name Your Poison

Postby Shlomo R » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:32 pm

The answer really depends on a number of factors, but my choice is most likely to be whiskey of some sort, picked by scanning the shelves behind the bar and picking what interests me most without being prohibitively expensive.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Ben Kfir » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:04 pm

Campari

Just because I love it all year long

Ben
Ben Kfir
Wine geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:08 pm

If I'm waiting for a meal I'd usually go for a simple dry white or a Cava by the glass.

Not meal-related, definately draught Guinness (when I trust the place to serve it properly and fresh). Sometimes whisky, but what I like is usually too expensive for me to drink outside so I go for something simple such as Grants Ale Cask or Ledaig.

For desert: outside - a double espresso, and at home often malt whisky, usually smokey or peaty, my current favourite selection is Talisker 18.

My two most frequent poisions are a post-lunch "mud coffee" - an Israeli/Arab (?) strong black coffee and an evening/night green tea.

Hope this wasn't overly rigorous :)

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Ken Schechet » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:28 pm

In that situation I tend to like something fizzy to perk up my taste buds before the meal. If a good craft beer is available that's an excellent choice. If it's a hot day a gin and tonic does the trick. A glass of cava, prosecco, or any simple sparkler always works and always makes me happy.
Ken
My Indian name is "Walks With Wine".
Ken Schechet
Ultra geek

Postby Matilda L » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:22 am

Campari and soda... or a whisky sour.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Aviram K » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:16 am

Before eating- mostly Campari. on the rocks, with soda, or in a classic cocktail (Negroni, Americano etc.).
after eating- Fernet Branca or a quite nice Grappa (better to pour it to my empty espresso glass).
8)
Aviram K
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:49 am

In Israel, if I'm in a fine mood either a Bloody Mary or Campari-Soda. If I want to check on the bartender though, I'll order a Singapore Sling just to see if they know how to make the drink. (When made well, a cocktail I enjoy thoroughly, when made badly, I send it back and ask for a Campari-Soda)

In the United States: Depending on the place, a Bloody Mary, Single Malt Scotch (straight up) or, in the right company, a Grasshopper.

In France, Italy, Spain: Depending on the mood, a glass of Champagne or Cava and if not that Campari-Soda.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Ryan M » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 am

I assume we're refering to a drink before a meal, in which case, sparkling wine of some sort: Prosecco, Champagne, or Cava. Stimulates the appetite and the senses, without overloading them.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:54 am

I'm amazed how many of you have already mentioned my favorite when I'm invited to take a pre-dinner cocktail: It's Campari and soda, in a tall glass with plenty of ice and a twist of lime or lemon for me!

My reasoning: I love the stuff with its pleasant bitter herbal taste. It's Italian, and I've got a dash of Italian in my Heinz 57 heritage, a smallish portion of my blood but a significant piece of my soul. With soda in a proportionate mix, it's got just enough alcohol to wake up my taste buds but not to spoil my appreciation of wine with the meal, or to leave me impaired at the end of the day. It's cooling in the summer time and quenching at any time. Campari and soda or me!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Lior Yogev » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm definately gonna give this combination a try. If so many winelovers like that - it can't be bad :)
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Paulo in Philly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:I assume we're refering to a drink before a meal, in which case, sparkling wine of some sort: Prosecco, Champagne, or Cava. Stimulates the appetite and the senses, without overloading them.

I am right with you, Ryan.... to the above I would add that sparkling wine is festive, refreshing, and a great way to start the evening. I have in recent years become more and more addicted to sparkling wines! 8)
Paulo in Philly
Wine guru

Postby Ken Schechet » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:33 pm

I agree with Lior about trying Campari and soda. I've never had one in my life and it sounds like I'm missing something.
Ken
My Indian name is "Walks With Wine".
Ken Schechet
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:34 am

Bubbles or Pilsner please.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Postby Doug Z » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:54 am

Ken Schechet wrote:I agree with Lior about trying Campari and soda. I've never had one in my life and it sounds like I'm missing something.

I'm definately gonna give this combination a try. If so many winelovers like that - it can't be bad

as my mum used to say about some food i couldnt stand...."its an aquired taste"

i would prefer...either a cava or whiskey.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Yoni M » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:42 am

This thread also got me curious about trying Campari and soda. I want to see what all the fuss is about!!
Yoni M
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 am

For those new to the Campari-Soda, good to keep in mind that the drink is generally served in a tall, rather narrow glass (sometimes known as a Collins glass), the Campari already poured in the glass when it is served, sometimes three or four ice cubes already in the glass, sometimes the ice cubes served separately to be added to choice. The soda is most often served in a separate mini-container for adding the amount with which one is most comfortable.

Precisely how much ice and soda one enjoys is very much a matter of personal taste. My own choice is for two-three ice cubes, to pour over an amount of soda equal to that of the Campari for a first sip or two and then to add soda to about 2/3 the height of the glass.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Ilan T » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:37 am

I hate to sounds unoriginal, but I'd also have to go with Cava or scotch. I don't really appreciate mixed drinks, and both are great openings for a good meal.
@winemakerguy
Ilan T
Ultra geek

Postby Gamliel K » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:26 pm

I know that these days I am in an ever shrinking minority, but I believe that the dry Martini Cocktail* is one of the best drinks around to get those gastric juices flowing, and is perhaps the United States’ greatest contribution towards the enduring happiness of the human race.

I tend to like my Martini “wetter” than most theses day, making them with a standard Pre-Prohibition formula of three parts gin (preferably Plymouth) to one part Vermouth (preferably Martini and Rossi Bianco) and a dash of orange bitters, stirred with freshly cracked ice, strained into a small cocktail glass, and garnished with three green olives. Perfection . . . or close to it.

Gamliel

*Please note, the term Martini Cocktail refers to a mixture of gin and French-style vermouth, with perhaps a dash of bitters. Bastard children of this heavenly concoction, such as the Vodka “Martini,” and the Rum “Martini,” not to mention the Sour-apple “Martini,” may be good in their own way, but they are not Martinis.
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 am

Gamliel, Hi...

I recall those days when a dry Martini had to be so "dry" that the gin was poured, the vermouth was placed in a perfume spray and someone would walk to the corner of the room to spray a bit of vermouth into the air. I always wondered why people were too shy to admit that they were simply drinking gin. But then again, such things were "fashionable" in their day.

I also recall the shock on the faces of many Americans when traveling in Europe and they would order a Martini, expecting a cocktail but getting a glass instead of Cinzano or Martini and Rossi Vermouth. That, of course, still happens but not nearly as often.

Cin-Cin
Rogov
Attachments
Cinzano.jpg
Cinzano.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:48 am

Gamliel K wrote:... not to mention the Sour-apple “Martini,” may be good in their own way, but they are not Martinis.

Okay, Gamliel, no choco-tini with whipped cream on top for you, then! 8)
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jenise » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Campari and soda or me!

Um...is there a third choice? :P
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Jenise » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Invariably, it's white wine for me. Would be bubbly if better bubbly were available and affordable by the glass, but it's not so white wine is typically my choice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby JC (NC) » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:41 pm

For a cocktail I would most often name a gin or vodka drink (Tom Collins, gin and tonic, etc.) or possibly a whisky sour (I like that sweet/sour combination.) In Hawaii I would ask for a Mai Tai and in the Caribbean something fruity with a good Jamaican rum. I find a gin and tonic, vodka and tonic, etc. very refreshing in warm weather. The whisky might be more attractive other times of year.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum