Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Ella Valley R&R ?

User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

Ella Valley R&R ?

by Menach N » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:56 am

Hi
a friend told me about this new wine from Ella Valley, its a Vineyards Choice and .. R&R (??) not sure though what vintage but its was just released, it retails about 50 $ if i rememebr correctly
has anyone heard or tasted this wine ?
Please and Thank you
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Ella Valley R&R ?

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Menach, Hi....

In my vocabulary "R&R" is American military jargon for "rest and recreation". I think I've tasted all of the 2005 Ella Valley wines and this was not one of them. Perhaps your friend can share more information from the label?

Best
Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Saw this is a store today. I believe it is from the 2004 vintage and is a Merlot/Cab blend.

Sorry, that is all I got...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:42 am

The "R&R" beats me. Perhaps a special label for export or for an importer.... Closest I can come with a guess is the following

Best
Rogov

Ella Valley Vineyards, Vineyard’s Choice, Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon, 2004: A blend of 60% Merlot and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, oak-aged for 16 months. Showing generous oak, firm but well-integrating tannins, plums and black cherries on a spicy and harmonious background and with hints of vanilla that rise on the moderately long finish. Drink now. Score 88. K
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Thank you Rogov & Gary
ill probably go the wine shop sometime soon and ill confirm the wine, in the mean time thanks
ciao
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:06 am

The people at many of the wineries may not join our little forum but they do often read it. I just received an email from Ella Valley Vineyards about this wine.

The RR is not the same wine as that I tasted above but is the first blended wine in the Vineyard's Choice series,that of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot as the winemaker felt it special enough to release separately. The wine has indeed is now available in the USA but will be released in Israel only in about December at the same time as will be the 2006 Syrah (also a first for the winery) and an unoaked Chardonnay.

I shall of course report back once I have tasted the wines in question.

Best
Rogov

P.S. Wondering (and hoping that Iris reads this) if it would be a chutzpah to request a bottle of the RR for tasting at this time so long as it has been released in the USA. I would, of course, post only here and not write about the wine in my column until it is released formally in Israel.
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Thank you Rogov,
Ciao
Menach