The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

St. Innocent Pinot....so not innocent....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

St. Innocent Pinot....so not innocent....

by Paulo in Philly » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:08 pm

On my recent trip to northwest CT in the Berkshire area I ran into a lovely wine store. Lo and behold I found some SI pinots, and immediately grabed 2 bottles. Last night I had the 2000 Seven Springs and tonight was the 03 Shea. I did not decant the 00 but the 03 had a couple of hours decanting while I finished teaching a few voice lessons. I love this PN because it is almost like tasting a pure sangiovese. These deep pinots embrace you with warmth and then grab you with an electrifying snap. Definitely a modern world wine but with much finesse, which is a joy to sip. It's deep dark berry yet somewhat ripe raspberry zing. There was an unidentifiable perfume that was intriguing, which later made sense when I went to their website and the wine maker described it as lavender - certainly a great word to describe this almost anise like perfume. Were I stranded on an island I would bring pinots and sangioveses; garlic and olive oil - all the foundation for a wonderful meal.
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

Re: St. Innocent Pinot....so not innocent....

by Paul Savage » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:05 am

Paulo,

A friend of mine has a wine store in that area, in Kent, CT, I think. I don't know it's name though! ....Paul
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:42 am

I have just stocked up on SI Shea, Termprance Hill, Pinot Blanc and their wonderful sparklng wine.... I think Jenise turned both of us on to these wines, no???

And who the hell is that svelte figure in your avatar???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:40 am

ST. Innocent: the only USA Pinot Nior I buy where I don't personally know the winemaker.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:17 pm

James Dietz wrote:I have just stocked up on SI Shea, Termprance Hill, Pinot Blanc and their wonderful sparklng wine.... I think Jenise turned both of us on to these wines, no???

Just got my delivery of Shea and Temperance 04's last week. I squood up and didn't get my order in early enough to catch the SS.

Paulo--the 00 Seven Springs. You say you didn't decant? Haven't had one in awhile but these are opening up and showing early; or perhaps they just didn't sleep as hard as usual. Not quite sure which is the case.

I love it that you're into these wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:03 pm

Jenise.. I did get the SS.. the Seven Springs I don't get til fall...

Have you tried the sparkling?? it is quite nice and a steal at, I think, $15...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:01 pm

Jimbo, which vintage is the sparkler? We bought a case of the 99 (which was the last sparkler I thought he made) about the time we moved here and have been gently working it down. It just gets better. Only paid around $20 for it then. If it's cheaper now, I should consider another order.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Jenise.. it's the '00.... yeah.. if they have any left, it's nice...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Paulo Faustini wrote: I love this PN because it is almost like tasting a pure sangiovese.

Paulo,
Just can't let this one go by. I am a major Sangiovese fan but drink only a few domestic PNS. If you love SI because it almost tastes like sangiovese why don't you just drink sangiovese. :lol:

Reminded me of a past thread that said a west coast PN was great and tasted like a good Syrah. Why would anyone want their PN to taste like a syrah, just buy syrah. Think Hoke jumped on that one.
Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:37 pm

Walt, I took him to mean that he loves those pinots for much the same reasons he loves sangiovese. Nuance, all that. Or maybe I just understood it that way because I would say the same thing in reverse about why I like sangiovese. But of course, he can speak for himself....