Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

First Fruit / Friday Night wine

by Harry J » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:51 am

bsd
There could have been a time during the year when all was bare;
no sight of growth anywhere.
But the farmer tilled, plowed & pruned whatever & whenever was needed.
And then suddenly that first blossom,that first fruit.
An appreciation that can run so deep & so profound.
The fruit itself lasts only so long,but the gratefullness
can be without limit.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

Re: First Fruit / Friday Night wine

by Yossie Horwitz » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:41 am

In honor of the birth of my daughter this week Wednesday I plan to open wines from the birth years of my older two children. I will be serving the Capcanes Peraj Ha'Abib 2001 and the Yarden, Single Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon, El-Rom, 2001 as well as a couple bottles of Hagafen's Late Harvest Chardonnay 2006.

Shabbat Shalom,
Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

by Doug Z » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 am

" Look down from your holy place in heaven, send your blessing on your people Israel and on the land which you have given us, as you said in your oath to our fathers, a land flowing with milk and honey."

well, cant add anything to that now, can i?

however ironically, tonight, in a reversal of spaniard yehuda halevi's "My heart is in the east, and I am at the end of the west...." , i am in the east and my wine is from his locale....marques de riscal rueda 2006...to go with a lovely baked salmon.

when will summer ever end? had a few drops of the yoreh this morning in tel aviv. finally.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:47 pm

Doug Z wrote:" Look down from your holy place in heaven, send your blessing on your people Israel and on the land which you have given us, as you said in your oath to our fathers, a land flowing with milk and honey."

well, cant add anything to that now, can i?.

Well, I may just be one of those bleeding heart liberals but I would ask God to bless all of the people and other living creatures on the planet.

Grilled salmon in our case and most probably with the 2004 Il Ducale of Ruffino. With that a spiced pumpkin puree, haricot beans in butter and garlic and a green salad following that and before several cheeses. With the cheeses (including a sweet Gorgonzola) a good chance at a sip or two of vishniak.

Best
Rogov
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by Doug Z » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Well, I may just be one of those bleeding heart liberals but I would ask God to bless all of the people and other living creatures on the planet.

absolutely. well, maybe except those nasty "jukes" i sometimes find in the kitchen.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:09 pm

I might well be tempted to agree with that!

For those not in the know the term djuke (singular) or djukim (plural) are the Hebrew words for the infamous cockroach. Interesting note that there were no cockroaches in the Middle-East until the immigration of Jews from Germany who brought their furniture with them and in that furniture, cockroach eggs.

Best
Rogov
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by Doug Z » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:19 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote: Interesting note that there were no cockroaches in the Middle-East until the immigration of Jews from Germany who brought their furniture with them and in that furniture, cockroach eggs.

Best
Rogov

wow, thats interesting....

and on the subject of german immigration, read this beautiful article in last weeks haaretz...

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1020617.html

i know thats way off topic, but my mind works by free association.

and now back to friday night wines...
no avatar
User

Matt Walter

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

by Matt Walter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Very undecided as to what wine to have tonight. Serving something akin to apricot chicken--what would go well with that?

Matt
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Matt, Hi....

Consider a Sangiovese or a Primitivo/Zinfandel based wine. If in the mood for a white, a Viognier. If in the mood to be daring, an ice wine. Or, of course, brut or semi-brut Champagne!

Best
Rogov
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Esteemed Wine Master - could Matt also think about a acidic Pinot (not one of those oaky fruit bombs)? Does a Pinot work in that space? I am in crazy agreement about the Viognier. I am so bummed about my friends who do not appreciate white wines - even good ones. Love the Goose Bay Viognier - a real joy the last time I had it.

Best Wishes....
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Grasshopper.....

I would fear only that the Pinot would clash with the apricots.

Now....if you recall from where the "grasshopper" reference comes, on our next meeting I shall buy the coffee and croissants. If not (and no fair checking on Google), you buy the coffees.

Best
Rogov

P.S. An important P.S. Not with specific regard to this thread but in general, there is a world of difference between those who have the M.W. (Master of Wine degree) and the Wine Master degree, the first calling for the most rigorous knowledge and a fine palate, the second alas, rather easily attainable.
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by Doug Z » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:58 pm

ahh so wise master po.

u must now buy me the croissants, because i also know of the shaolin monks of which u speak.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Grasshopper.....

I would fear only that the Pinot would clash with the apricots.

Now....if you recall from where the "grasshopper" reference comes, on our next meeting I shall buy the coffee and croissants. If not (and no fair checking on Google), you buy the coffees.

Best
Rogov

P.S. An important P.S. Not with specific regard to this thread but in general, there is a world of difference between those who have the M.W. (Master of Wine degree) and the Wine Master degree, the first calling for the most rigorous knowledge and a fine palate, the second alas, rather easily attainable.

Cool thanks for the heads up master of Wine! I can see how the Pinot would clash with apricots. Learning is so much fin :D
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Doug Z wrote: u must now buy me the croissants, because i also know of the shaolin monks of which u speak.

As is said, and in all seriousness, phone me at 050 7380351, and we shall make a date to meet for that coffee. It shall be my pleasure.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Matt Walter

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

by Matt Walter » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Well, never did serve any wine at all since it was just my wife and kids and we were all tired. However, for shabbat lunch we did have a 2004 Recanati Cabernet Franc (and I just love Cabernet Franc!) served with cold sliced brisket, turkey salad, chicken/spinach salad with a basil/balsamic vinegarette and assorted kugels.

The Recanati was very nice indeed. Some nice berry notes with some wood. Everyone really liked it.

Kol Tuv,
Matt

PS. I'll have to try a viognier sometime.
PPS. Thanks to all for the wine suggestions--greatly appreciated!
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 am

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:16 am

Hi everyone,

This week I was away with family. They aren't big wine drinkers, so we had a bottle of Segal's Red Fusion, 2005. It was a hit. Big and fruit forward with no oak and softened by micro-oxygenation (I'm a fan). It's a blend of 60% Merlot, and 20% each of Cab and Cab Franc. Deep royal purple to dark red in color, with notes of chocolate covered blackberries. Went well with a honey-garlic marinated Delmonico roast.

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
User

Avi Hein

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Israel

by Avi Hein » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:13 am

My first real experience (besides a brief tasting with exabegen) with the new Carmel Private Collection Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot. Quite enjoyable! Firm and medium-bodied, this is a real improvement from Carmel and the PC series (which I may have to stop avoiding with the improvements of the 07 vintage and some good deals!)
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Hamasrek cab blush 05,not bad just a hint of sweetness.also tried red fern merlot 2003 which is at this point tired.h
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

by Menach N » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:31 pm

Had a Hagafen Prix Reserve cabernet sauvgnon MJT Block 2003 much better then last time, more open and blossoming, a full body with plum and general dark berries and twards the finish a quite noticble frenchvanilla coffe, and then the oak comes out, all in a nice balance and the finish a velvety texture, a very good wine, liked by everyone at the table.
a wonderfull week to all
Ciao
Menach
no avatar
User

Jaicky T

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

by Jaicky T » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Was at friends for Shabbat dinner and opened the Peraj Petita 2006, Herzog Alexander Valley Special Reserve Merlot 2002, and a Baron Rothschild Haut Medoc 2002. Little disappointed with the Haut Medoc, but the Peraj was as usual outstanding. Have not tried the Herzog since i bought it a couple of years ago and it has aged well, full of flavor, though my wife found it too strong, which is not unusual for her and reds. It's an uphill battle.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 pm

This past Friday night: Gush Etzion 1999 cabernet sauvignon. Our last bottle, bought at the winery some years ago. Nose of black berries, e.g. cassis. Starting to dry out a bit but still very tasty, especially with a little air. Good and long finish.

The previous week (we drink both kosher and non-kosher wines, and i hope there's no objection to mentioning the latter) 1998 Givry Clos Salomon. Still closed in, surprising for a Cote Challonais of this age. A hint of quite deep fruit in the taste. Looks like it needs a couple more years to come near its peak.
User

Billy M

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 am

by Billy M » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:02 am

First time I opened a 2005 Dalton Zinfandel. Aside of the berries, etc, had the surprise of green peppers. A different taste that I have not had before. Will definitely try this again in about a year.
(aka newlawyer)
Is this stuff on the level or are you just making it up as you go along? (Groucho)