The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

WTN: 2003 Schloss Gobelsburg Gruner Veltliner 'Steinsetz' - Wow!

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:25 pm

Well if there's one thing that 2003 did for us it was make the inexpensive Gruner Veltliners into mini-prestige cuvees.

This is a rockin' good time. And I mean that literally, as there are lots of rocks in here to go along with copious fruit. I could quibble about the alcohol, but I am drinking it a bit warm, so I won't. This is just an awesome mouthfull of Gruner! The aromatics remind me of the 1995 Brundlmayer Alte Reben when it was young, and that is about as high praise as I can give a Gruner. It's all there right in front of you, but oh so young. There's still a touch of youthful CO2 spritz, but underneath it all is a balanced acidity I would never expect from 2003. LOts of fruit and stones from the front to the back. Just delicious.

I paid $16.99 on direct import offer in fall 2004, but I see it on Winesearcher for around $23, and it is easily worth that. Great stuff! I can't wait to see how it goes with the ginger-lime chicken.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2003 Schloss Gobelsburg Gruner Veltliner 'Steinsetz' - Wow!

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:35 pm

That is one of the most jubilant reviews I've read for an '03 wine...except for Robin's love of '03 Rhones. :wink:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:That is one of the most jubilant reviews I've read for an '03 wine...except for Robin's love of '03 Rhones. :wink:

I saw Robin being qoted by Arpy to back up his own scores.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:13 pm

I drank about 3 bottles of the 04 Steinsetz (couldn't keep my hands off of them) and I see K and L has the 05 now in stock. Have you tried the 05, David? I missed the 03 and I'm sorry I did. Thanks for the note.
Marc Davis
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:44 pm

Marc D wrote:I drank about 3 bottles of the 04 Steinsetz (couldn't keep my hands off of them) and I see K and L has the 05 now in stock. Have you tried the 05, David? I missed the 03 and I'm sorry I did. Thanks for the note.

I tried the range of '05 Gobelsburgs, and they were the only Austrians I had that day (of about 45) that impressed me.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.