The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vinos Piñol Ludovicus, 2004, Terra Alta, Spain. [Note from VS.]

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Vinos Piñol Ludovicus, 2004, Terra Alta, Spain. [Note from VS.]

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:07 pm

Vinos Piñol Ludovicus, 2004, Terra Alta, Spain. Unfined, unfiltered,tank fermented, 12 to 15 year old vines, three months in small oak barrels. $11.99/bottle - $128.99/case Beekmans, Glen Rock, NJ http://www.beekmanwine.com/

This wine has continued to please both Janet and myself with a number of different dishes. Deep ruby/purple color, deep hue, very good fruit and spice aroma, rich fruit taste, medium mouth feel, long finish. Lovely impression, improves in the glass for an hour or even two. 4*. Great QPR.

Victor de la Serna commented on one of my earlier notes praising this wine: "One of my favorite wineries in all of Spain, Bob. Great people, amazing commitment to quality in a forgotten region, Terra Alta, which deserves a visit for its wonderful vineyard landscapes, just south of Priorat. (And they have a nice rural hotel right at the winery in Batea.) I believe Ludovicus is the brand they use in the US for their basic red and white wines (which are called Nuestra Señora del Portal in Spain). Their top wines, L'Avi Arrufí and Mather Teresina, are as good as the top Priorats. Plus they make two unique sweet wines of amazing concentration and purity, the red (grenache + syrah) and white (grenache blanc) Mistela Josefina Piñol."

Regards, Bob