The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Organic Wineries: Any Good Ones In Napa?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Organic Wineries: Any Good Ones In Napa?

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:14 pm

My cousin is coming in from Scottsdale and has expressed an interest in 1) going to Napa and 2) tasting organic wines by which I assume she means wines made from organically or biodynamically grown grapes.

Any tips as to where I might take her where the organic show and tell might be good? Heading up to Mendocino or down to Livermore is out unfortunately. And I have done some homework, but since I do not necessarily place organic way up there in my criteria for wine I am woefully uninformed.

Hey, she might reward good tips with nice Mary Kay discounts! :wink:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Organic Wineries: Any Good Ones In Napa?

by Peter May » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:57 pm

Benziger in Sonoma ( funny I thought it was in Napa) is organic and biodynamic.

I greatly enjoyed a vsisit there. The thing that I remember most and that made the lasting impression was their demonstration vineyard that had different rootstocks planted.

Now, I have never seen before, or since - the vines that are used for rootstocks growing. Also the 'insectorium', a riot of wild flowers planted in the vineyards to attract insects.

Very friendly people there.

http://www.benziger.com
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am

Well, if it has to be in Napa, there's Sinskey and Frog's Leap.

But if you go over to Sonoma and Mendocino, you get into several organic and biodynamic places. Or you could go up to Lake County and visit Ceago Winegarden, on the north end of the lake. It's pretty fantabulous and about as biodynamic as they come. Quite an experience.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:33 am

Thanks, Hoke, that was exactly the problem. All the really "hot" biodynamic places were too far a drive for last Sunday and Frog's Leap didn't keep Sunday hours!! But we did manage to have a good non-organic time with lengthier stops at my friends at Goosecross and then we hung out at Saviez for a couple of hours. After that I drug 'em southwards from Calistoga to American Canyon and revealed the tourist's Napa to them.