The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine probation support group starts here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine probation support group starts here

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:30 am

Sam, don't look to me to discourage you from buying that Volnay. I love Volnay wines! David, how close were you to the bear?--looks like closer than I would care to be. My nephew and his wife on a hike out west saw some bears and also had to scramble up a stream bank when they encountered sudden canyon flooding conditions. The park rangers had failed to inform them of the possibility of flooded areas. I'm going to a Fayetteville Wine Society meeting tonight and attending the Taste of France at the French Embassy Saturday. That might prevent any purchasing of wine for a week (unless I find myself with free time in DC prior to the tasting and in the vicinity of Macarthur's or Calvert and Woodley...)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 am

OK. My problem is basically critical. Lay awake at night worrying critical. Totally my fault, and by no means not only or primarily wine (a history of poor self control.

But...on a lighter note, this is a great thread! I did fail this weekend, though, but at least it was only a cheapish Sancere. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:32 am

We're here for you Brian - get back on the wagon to cellar sesibility.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:57 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Congratulations. I would not have been so strong.

The temptation, while avoided temporarily, remains strong.

I had a bottle of this about a year ago, and I have to say it was one of the more memorable bottles of wine that I've enjoyed.

PS - Charlie, if you come to Detroit, I can give you directions. :D
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:30 pm

My buying problem is largely due to online purchases. I love Wine Library and Wine.com and I'm particularly susceptible to their enticing email specials. (You've probably all seen them: "1cent shipping", "New 94 pt arrivals","92 pt Napa Cab under $30",etc.) My past buying philosophophy has been- "I'd better get a case of that" or "I NEED 2 cases of that". I've reached the point where I'm on a first-name basis with several UPS and FED-EX drivers and my credit card balances are a smaller version of the current Wall Street mess. :cry: I have much better control at the local wine shops, as my purchases are (mostly) limited to cash on hand.

I haven't ordered anything in the past month and I've been deleting those emails as the arrive, thus reducing the temptation. :!: I have more than enough wine on hand to survive the holidays, so I could be on the road to reducing my inventory as well as debt. Only time will tell.

CHEERS!

Art
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:45 pm

The beauty of on-line purchases is that you can stop by here first for some support. We'll help you keep it in check.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:52 pm

Two quick points:

1. One of the few advantages of attaining a certain age is that one no longer has to shop for and thus cellar wines that will reach their peak only in another 25 years.

2. My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell, all depending on which I will have to visit first. (And from what I read, bankruptcy court in Israel is far worse than Hell)

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:04 pm

Help, I'm about to violate probation. There was an attractive St. Emilion at the Fayetteville Wine Society meeting last night priced about $35. I didn't buy it on the spot but we have one month to put in an order at the members' price. Even worse, Carolina Wine Company sent out an e-mail about some Kermit Lynch Burgundies to which I don't usually have access. I'm tempted by the Marsanny Rouge and a Morey-St-Denis.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:14 pm

JC,

St. Emilion wines are a dine a dozen & besides the St. Emilion satellite wines are better value & 95% as good.

As for the Burgs - the really good 2005s have cleared the market, 2006 is no great shakes & pretty much what is left is what everyone already passed on.

How's that?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:21 pm

You are good, David.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:34 pm

Art Morris wrote:My buying problem is largely due to online purchases. I love Wine Library ...
Art

Art,
They call it Wine Library. As far as I know, a library is where you can check something out, use it, and return it. Tell them you won't buy anything from them unless they let you borrow the bottles, consume the wine, send back the bottles and only charge you (a few cents) if you return the empties late. That should get you off their e-mail list.

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:33 pm

A wine library indeed - snort. You'd think they would expect you to return the bottles with the <used> wine.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Doug Levens

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm

by Doug Levens » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:25 pm

I've been reigning in the purchases, but have not been able to stop all together.

One thing that has definitely helped is that I canceled all of my email subscription to wine retailers. With less temptation its easier.

I decided in August that I was not buying anything else for the rest of the year and when I told my wife she said "We're still getting the Ridge ATP and Copains, right?" Gotta love her :D Unfortunately this immediately destroyed my plan so it was easier to justify other "needs."
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

Re: Wine probation

by Steve Kirsch » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:39 am

Here we go! When this thread started I knew I had seen the term "wine probation" in the past. Here it is, from our own geo t. of the Gang of Pour.
no avatar
User

Ted Judd

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Idaho

by Ted Judd » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I have been doing fairly well not adding to my wine purchases till now. My dilemma is, I just received in the mail my order forms from both Leonetti and Cayuse. As you know, the wait list for Leonetti is about 6 years and 4ish for Cayuse. So, if you talk me out of ordering, it will remove me from temptation for many years to come. However, I am not sure it is a temptation from which I want to be protected.

ted
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:05 pm

Ted,

Are there are options between ordering everything available and dropping from the list ?

Maybe there's a partial order amount, enough to stay current ? Do you know other wine folks, someone who might be interested in these wines enough to help you fill out an order ?
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:05 am

I think I'm now in Double Dog Wine Probation...

I couldn't help myself and ordered '07 von Hovel Oberemmeler Hutte Spatlese this morning... :oops:
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:21 am

This isn't working. You've made my problem worse.
A few months ago I tasted the 2007 Leitz Rudeshimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett not once but twice. It's amazing. It's also $16.
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:25 am

Dan Smothergill wrote:This isn't working. You've made my problem worse.

Dan, sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. Although I can't see how that axiom applies here, but I just thought I'd throw it in.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:27 am

The temptation is rising, as tomorrow is payday. The thought of a fantastic, light colored Mount Veeder Grenache from one of my favorite producers, Ramien, is intruding into my thoughts. :| It was almost a rose in color...light in tone, with incredible white pepper and earth and strawberry flavors. One of the best domestic Grenaches I may ever have tasted. It's only $17. At least I would not be charging it.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:39 am

Sounds like a summer wine, Brian. We're into fall. Maybe next year...
no avatar
User

Ted Judd

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Idaho

by Ted Judd » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:43 am

Yes, there are always friends willing to share my allotment. Perhaps I should let them purchase, keep my name active on the lists, and then have them share wine with me. hmmm
Ted
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Ted Judd wrote:I have been doing fairly well not adding to my wine purchases till now. My dilemma is, I just received in the mail my order forms from both Leonetti and Cayuse. As you know, the wait list for Leonetti is about 6 years and 4ish for Cayuse. So, if you talk me out of ordering, it will remove me from temptation for many years to come. However, I am not sure it is a temptation from which I want to be protected.

ted

Cayuse! The mysterious Cayuse, of which I've never seen a bottle (whereas I see plenty of Leonetti around). I'm pretty sure you must have that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Ted Judd wrote:Yes, there are always friends willing to share my allotment. Perhaps I should let them purchase, keep my name active on the lists, and then have them share wine with me. hmmm
Ted

Sounds like an excellent plan.
And then you can drink theirs!
(sharing something of yours from your cellar, that you'd already bought before you were on probation).

Charles
Charles Weiss
PreviousNext