Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

cheese and jam

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: cheese and jam

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 am

Randy R wrote:I'm curious as to the general view on this question. Do you ever eat cheese with sweet things like jelly or jam? I just noticed a new line of jams in the supermarket placed on the "gourmet" cheese shelf with the mention that they are made specifically to accompany cheeses. Some have thyme or basil or lavender in them, others, like fig, are pure.

I'd say generally not, with one broad exception: It's not at all unusual to use cream cheeses, including mascarpone and <i>possibly</i> very mild goat cheeses, in <i>recipes</i> involving jelly, jam, fruit preserves, etc. I love to dollop mascarpone on halved fresh figs. And at least in the U.S., an old horse doover of the '60s involves dolloping jam on top of a block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese and dipping it up with crackers until you've got a nasty, sticky mess. (In Louisville, a traditional variation involves replacing the jam with a sweet-savory concoction called Henry Bain Sauce that has Major Grey's Chutney and Worcestershire sauce in it ... )
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:38 am

We've got a Maroccan fig chutney which works really with cheese. I think the trick may be that sweet on it's own will invariably not work, but a chutney with a balance of sweet, savoury and a little spice can work brilliantly.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:53 am

We have a traditional dish that is a flat, baked cheese which is eaten with seabuckthorn jam on top. Delicious. If only I could eat soft cheeses :(

Otherwise I've never really been too fond of the combination when it's been served. But one thing I do like, which causes a hint of sweetness to the cheese, is chevre or parmigiano reggiano with a bit of good quality Balsamico sprinkled on top. Or if you want more than a hint of sweetness, then PX sherry works really well also!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:01 am

Back in the '60s my sister had a room mate who introduced her to eating guava paste with muenster cheese. It's a delicious combo with toast and morning coffee.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:22 am

Yes. Manchego and membrillo. Humboldt Fog with fruit and honey. Parmesan and old Balsamico. Apple pie and cheddar. I'll think of more...
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:03 am

An interesting recipe I make on occasion:

slice of bread
sharp cheddar
strawberry preserves

Slice cheddar and place over entire face of bread.

Slather with strawberry preserves.

Place under broiler until cheese and preserves are bubbly.

Actually quite tasty.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:57 am

One of the favorite tastes we returned with after a trip to Tuscany: pecorino toscano (staggionato(sp?--well-aged) and a drizzle of honey.

Make sure it's Tuscan pecorino--Roman is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too salty. This is just heaven.

B
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:08 pm

Randy R wrote:Apple pie and cheddar? That sounds so 1966!

No, apple pie and cheddar was so 1976. The 1966 fad was apple pie and Velveeta.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:33 pm

David Rosengarten gave me a good tip- put the cheddar in the crust. Retro, maybe, but it's good.
no avatar
User

Jodene Hayward

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:06 am

Fresno, CA

by Jodene Hayward » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:44 pm

" Do you ever eat cheese with sweet things like jelly or jam?"

Definately Randy,

The Italians like a mustardos (sp) with their cheese such as onion, also fig jam is verygood with a nice Bue Cheese. We also like to serve Hot pepper Jellies with either Cream Cheese or Brea.
Jody H
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Similar to Larry, I love a sandwich of sharp cheddar with jam. Usually I'll choose orange marmalade or apricot jam, but any flavor will do nicely. I like this either grilled or not.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:39 am

Me? Never. It's just not a combination I'm into. But I see a lot of sweet/hot jellies poured over logs of Kraft Cream Cheese at parties--which inevitably look like a superfund site after the 7th person has dug his cracker into it. I won't go near them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:43 pm

Well, speaking of nuts, the French now have bigger problems. This headline just popped up on my Google desk top of constantly-replenished headlines: "Brigitte Bardot, angered over what she called France's insensitivity to the plight of minks, has threatened to move to Sweden."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:52 pm

Randy R wrote:And this is a bad thing? But I think you may need some help setting up filtering on your alert bar.

I presume not. But as soon as you dump her we'll give you Pamela Anderson, which means you'll get Kid Rock too. You might want to stick with Brigitte.
no avatar
User

Shaji

by Shaji » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:59 pm

baked brie with apples and fig jam...with a nice crusty bread and a glass of Grenache..