The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Watery Low-Acidic Aftertaste. What Is It?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Watery Low-Acidic Aftertaste. What Is It?

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:08 am

I was up in Sonoma today and stopped in a few places. In one, the name of which will remain unstated to protect the guilty, I found a peculiar "finish" on several wines (and I use that term loosely).

I had a Nebbiolo, a Sangiovese, a Primitivo, and a Barbera. Each had a finish which resembled a non-vinous tart fruitiness which was somewhat watery. It was the oddest thing, almost akin to drinking unsweetened, low-acid, very thin, grape Kool-Aid or some other bug juice reminiscent of my youth. The whites and a couple of the other reds didn't share this characteristic.

Anybody else ever run across this?
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

Re: Watery Low-Acidic Aftertaste. What Is It?

by J Nolan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:58 am

What Vinyards did they come from?? Strange that the four varieties gave the same result!!
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Italy

by J Nolan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:02 am

Where the Corks alright? I remember having had the same sensation once but I think it was with a multipulciano D'abbruzzo or was it a merlot?? its sometime that I haven't had a flat wine so to say!!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:18 am

Like I said, I don't want to mention the name of the vineyard. No point in sullying someone's good name if it's my tongue which needs recalibration. (I was, however, not alone in my reaction.)

All of these grapes were grown in Sonoma County, mostly Sonoma Coast. And that is exactly what intrigued me. Four wines coming out of the same winery from about the same geographical area with the same odd "finish." The fellow pouring was not familiar with the wines so I chose not to engage him on the matter. I will, however, return and try them again to see if the results are repeatable. If they are, then I'll investigate a little further.

For the moment, however, I am curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar experience or if this just Gary's palate going off half cocked (again)!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:20 am

I didn't get a chance to see the corks. In fact, I didn't think to ask, but I will store that for the next round. These were, by the way, recent releases, i.e. '03's and '04's.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:55 am

Gary, When I have noticed that "unsweetened Kool-Aid" finish it often seems to be associated with wines that have set out in air for an extended time, and have been served quite warm. Could the wines that you tasted have all been left out on the counter in a warm tasting room for some time?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Sam, I don't know when they had opened the bottles. They looked rather full, but that's still no guarantee that they hadn't spent the night open on the shelf. The room itself, however, was wonderfully air-conditioned! I'll make note of your observations and ask the appropriate questions next time I go up there ... provided, of course, I find the same issues.
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Italy

by J Nolan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:57 pm

Maybe they hadn't fully finished their fermenting cycle?? (Too Fresh) even if they were sitting open for a while they should be at least acidy or smell off! Just a hunch I'll ask tomorrow what could be the cause. Going to visit some vinyards tomorrow morning!!
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Italy

by J Nolan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:07 pm

Sorry couldn't find out why, but they did say something interesting however, allot of vinyards especially the Bio sometime over dose their plants with a substance (I can't remember the name of it for the life of me) that prevents or slows down the fermentation process like salt and yeast.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Mille grazie for your efforts, John. Like I said, I'll go back and try them again. If the results are the same, I will pose the question.