The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bosconia Sandwich

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Bosconia Sandwich

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:12 pm

1998 R. López de Heredia Viña Bosconia Reserva
$30. 12.5%abv. Imp: USA Wine Imports, NY.
Very well structured traditional Rioja. Tart cherry tastes, lots of old oakiness, lots (and lots) of mouthwatering acidity, and fine grain tannins. The finish adds some smokiness and spiciness to the cherry. From what I’ve tasted of 1998 Rioja, it seems like a fairly acid forward, less powerful vintage than say, 1995 or 1996. I’m all for acid, and while I really enjoy this wine, if the acidity was throttled back slightly it would be fantastic.

After dinner, Lill and I ran out to do some errands and saw the “Wine Tasting 4-8pm” sign next door. Never one to pass up a taste, off we went.

2005 Sileni Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is very rich, ripe, and flavorful but a little short on acidity
2003 Moillard Haute Côtes du Nuit Chardonnay is flabby and dull
2004 Moillard Pouilly Fuissé Domain Greffet is well balanced, fruity, and has a tasty finish
2004 C.G. di Arie Rosé d’Arie (Sierra Foothills) is a blend of zin, syrah, and mourvedre (plus a kitchen sink of touriga national, termpranillo, barbera, and a partridge in a pear tree). The rep said it is “most resembles something from Bandol”. This wine is a mess of fruit with no structure and no minerality. It’s as far from Bandol as you can get.
2004 Moshin Pinot Noir Tusi Vineyard (Dry Creek) is a big ole chocolate covered cherry.
2003 Kaleido Malbec (Mendoza) has lots of great malbec flavor but is almost completely devoid of tannic structure. How they managed to de-tannin a malbec is beyond me. Fruit-bombers and “smooth wine” lovers should go ga-ga over this one.
2002 Black and White Topanga Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa) was actually fairly decent. Good fruit, fine tannins, good overall balance, and subtle hints of oak. Worth drinking but at $29 it wasn’t worth buying.

So to wash this tasting out of my mouth I poured another glass of Bosconia (now opened for 3 hrs). I’m just so grateful for traditional wines like ones made by the López de Heredia family. Life is good. Now if only the Sox can break out of their 3 game losing streak.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Bosconia Sandwich

by Mark S » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:36 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:1998 R. López de Heredia Viña Bosconia Reserva
$30. 12.5%abv. Imp: USA Wine Imports, NY.
Very well structured traditional Rioja. Tart cherry tastes, lots of old oakiness, lots (and lots) of mouthwatering acidity, and fine grain tannins. The finish adds some smokiness and spiciness to the cherry. From what I’ve tasted of 1998 Rioja, it seems like a fairly acid forward, less powerful vintage than say, 1995 or 1996. I’m all for acid, and while I really enjoy this wine, if the acidity was throttled back slightly it would be fantastic.

The 96 of this is just so much better, isn't it? Formed the same opinion as you: while still enjoying it, the wine wasn't as balanced as the 1996.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm

Keep 'em coming!

Did you save any for day 2 or 3?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:00 pm

I havent had the '96 Bosconia, Mark. I was going by the other 1996 (or 1995) vs. 1996 rioja's I've had. (mostly La Rioja Alta Vina Alberdi and Vina Ardanza reservas, Marques de Riscal GR, Prado Enea).
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:04 pm

Did you save any for day 2 or 3?
I finished this on Sunday night (day 2), Joe. The acidity was a little softer and the nose and flavor were just as yummy. I had it without food this time and it was very good.