The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Spell checking my post

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Spell checking my post

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:43 pm

Since Robin has retired the "how to" folder, and since this forum is the most read of the remaining folders, I am posting this here. (Robin if this is out of place or too far off subject, please remove it)

Since the beginning of the original WLDG I and many others have wished for a built in spell checker. Some time ago I realized that I have the next best thing. I downloaded and installed the Google tool bar, which has a spell checker as one of it's tools. works great too, if I remember to use it!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

You CAN ...

by Bill Spencer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:13 pm

%^)

... teach an ol' dog new tricks !

Thanks ! I HAVE Google toolbar and didn't know that !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

Re: You CAN ...

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:00 pm

Hi Bill!

I have read and approved your signature line on your posts for years now. And I find it more endearing every post you make. We had the sad occasion of having to put our Max down in Feburary 2004 and we still miss him every day. He was only 8 years old, and we fully expected to have him for some 8-10 years more. I am sure there are dogs in heaven! And if there aren't, I too want to go where they go!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Spell checking my post

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:07 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Since Robin has retired the "how to" folder, and since this forum is the most read of the remaining folders, I am posting this here. (Robin if this is out of place or too far off subject, please remove it)

Bob, really The Basement is the logical place for off-topic posts, and I assume that all the "regulars" check it. But there's no point in moving this one now that it's already started. :)
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:01 am

Bob, I use ieSpell, from http://www.iespell.com/ and find this works well. For those that don't like the idea of using the Google toolbar thingy. I have enough toolbars clogging up a limited amount of screen space already.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:43 am

Bob, really The Basement is the logical place for off-topic posts, and I assume that all the "regulars" check it. But there's no point in moving this one now that it's already started.

I am probably one of a few who does not even remember the last time I read any folder in the basement other than the "how to" since the inception of the forum. Since I did not read there, I innocently assumed that lots of other posters did not either. I thought that this was a feature that might affect most of the posters quite frequently. Of course I will in the future restrict any posts of mine to the subject of wine.

Looking back at the basement Friends and Fun threads I see that I did post there on 23 Mar 2006, so I evidently did look over there once.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:50 am

Bob Henrick wrote:I am probably one of a few who does not even remember the last time I read any folder in the basement other than the "how to" since the inception of the forum. Since I did not read there, I innocently assumed that lots of other posters did not either. I thought that this was a feature that might affect most of the posters quite frequently. Of course I will in the future restrict any posts of mine to the subject of wine.

Looking back at the basement Friends and Fun threads I see that I did post there on 23 Mar 2006, so I evidently did look over there once.

Bob, there's no real answer to this ... there's no firm rule against off-topic posts in WLDG - we're not strong on firm rules here. I'm surprised, though, as I honestly assumed that all the regular participants routinely at least peek in to all the folders. The "Friends & Fun" section in the basement folder contains a lot of the enjoyable OT stuff that used to fall into NWR posts in the original forum, and the advantage of having a separate folder is that it keeps the wine folder tidy.

Actually, the new forum software makes it easy for me to move threads around and pop them from one folder to another (you can even leave a trail of bread crumbs behind so people can follow it), but I haven't bothered to do that much.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 am

I don't mean to be a PITA Robin, and am not trying to be contentious. I also do not often participate in polls on the forum. The honest truth is that I have time for the Wine forum, and the Food forum, then I have so much other stuff that I rarely look at any other folder. I do once a day look into the forum dedicated to my Kamado grill as I learn form those there who have been cooking on one for years. Sort of like I learn from the people here about wine. I wonder if this would be a good subject for a poll asking who looks at which folders. If you do put this one out as a poll, I will for sure participate in this poll.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:35 am

Bob, participation in the forum is up to everyone, and nobody is required to participate in all the sections, or the polls. The forum is really a community, and it's up to everyone to decide where and how to participate. I really don't see this as a good question for a poll, though.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Truly "man's best friend" ...

by Bill Spencer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:He was only 8 years old, and we fully expected to have him for some 8-10 years more.

%^)

Our beloved Oynx Lait (a.k.a., "The Blackracingdog") just turned 9 on July 4th ... we're headed out to Morro Bay on vacation this Saturday and remember all too well 9 years ago when our annual vacation trek to Morro Bay was the last for Oynx's predecessor, Toby Sue ... she spent her 2 weeks just laying in the sun and taking an occasional walk with us on the beach ... 2 days after we got home, she passed away, having celebrated her 16th birthday earlier that Spring ... our Onyx is an amazing animal ... long vocabulary and can tell time ... we hope to have her around for many more years ... don't know what we'd do with that first cocktail at 5 o'clock - we spend it throwing the ball to her ... she DOES have us well trained !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html