Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Wine question

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:40 pm

Can someone tell me about Cabernet Franc?
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

Re: Wine question

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:47 pm

What do you want to know, Larry? Some of the best Cab Franc I've tasted was from Chinon in the Loire valley of France. It's used as a blending grape in Bordeaux. To my palate, it frequently has an herbal edge to the flavor. There's also a tasty Cab Franc made right here in Ohio, by Kinkead Ridge...it was the first Ohio wine I've tasted that I thought was worth buying. You may want to post more specific questions on the wine board, although I know you're more comfortable on the foody side of the house....
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:56 pm

Cabernet Franc is one of the parents of Cabernet Sauvignon along with Sauvignon Blanc. The most successful place it is grown is Loire. It is also blended with East Bank Bordeaux sometimes close to 50%.

It is very aromatic with deep purple color that gets everything it touches that color. It can be filled with the same red and black fruit that its' progeny can have without the harsh tannin.

It is also grows in Italy and Califoria with spotty results.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:13 pm

In addition to what the others have said, it ripens earlier than CabSav and is more cold hardy. It is grown with mixed results in the Finger Lakes and Niagara Peninsula, depending on the growing conditions of that particular year.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:26 pm

I wasn't familiar with iCabernet Franch when I tried a bottle a couple of nights ago. I just wanted some general comments about the type of grape, characteristics, etc. And I really didn't want a lengthy oenophilic dissertation from the wine board.

At least one winery in NM makes CF, which I'll have to try. I couldn't tell you the brand we drank (I think it was Californian), but we weren't real impressed.

My questions are mostly answered, so thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:09 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Can someone tell me about Cabernet Franc?

Larry, would you object if we moved this discussion over to WLDG? It's really better suited there, and you'll probably get even more answers!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I wasn't familiar with iCabernet Franch when I tried a bottle a couple of nights At least one winery in NM makes CF, which I'll have to try. I couldn't tell you the brand we drank (I think it was Californian), but we weren't real impressed.

My first thought on tasting my very first varietal cabernet franc was "now I know why it's mainly used as a blending grape." I could immediately see the positive things that it brings to the table in Bordeaux and Bordeaux-style blends, but I could also see that, however excellent its role as a session man, it's not a solo artist.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:26 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Can someone tell me about Cabernet Franc?

Larry, would you object if we moved this discussion over to WLDG? It's really better suited there, and you'll probably get even more answers!

I got my answers. I really don't need any more discussion. I just wanted a quick in and out. Thanks. BTW, it was a Hahn 2004.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:51 pm

since it IS and earlier ripening cabernet, the one place NOT to try it from in CA - where the later ripening sauvignon still ripens plenty early. it can be less astringent and more perfumed than sauvignon and adds elegance to blends; but does well on its own in cool areas like loire, niagara, michigan, etc. new mexico would not be one of the best sites unless it is a cooler part.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Quite a while back we drank a few gallons of Ironstone Cab Franc. The last one worth mentioning was the '97. It went downhill very fast thereafter. Since then it has been mostly Loire with one or two here and there from such as Tobin James in CA and Fox Run in the FL. It can make a nice varietal, but other than the Loire it has been most consitant as a blender. Most of the Meritages in the Finger Lakes have Franc upfront, and some such as Heron Hill's Eclipse are quit nice.