The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Prices included in WTNs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Prices included in WTNs

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:11 am

Since rejoining this forum I've noticed very few folks include prices or alcohol levels in their WTNs. This is a common practice on other forums. What do you folks think about this? I think it would be a good idea if it was competely voluntary and not a matter of policy.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Prices included in WTNs

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 am

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Since rejoining this forum I've noticed very few folks include prices or alcohol levels in their WTNs. This is a common practice on other forums. What do you folks think about this? I think it would be a good idea if it was competely voluntary and not a matter of policy.

Carl, I have no objection to it, although as we discussed in E-mail, I don't like to impose any <i>requirement</i> on tasting notes format.

I usually include the price myself ... I consider it useful consumer information, puts the TN in context, and allows us to compare pricing around the nation and the world, which can be a very good way to learn if you're being ripped off (or getting a deal). I wish more people did it. Sometimes I sense that folks are afraid it looks tacky, or like you're bragging about the expensive wines you drink, but it just ain't so.

Alcohol levels strike me a little different: I think it's worth mentioning if it's a significant factor in the wine's overall profile, whether very high or very low. But routinely? I really don't see any point in bothering if the wine falls in the standard 11.5-13 range or thereabouts.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 pm

Robin,

Don't know about current norm in American wines, but the current "trend" in Oz is for wines to be much more likely to be in the range of 13-14.5%. Not raising an issue here related to this thread, just an observation as such.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:51 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Since rejoining this forum I've noticed very few folks include prices or alcohol levels in their WTNs. This is a common practice on other forums. What do you folks think about this? I think it would be a good idea if it was competely voluntary and not a matter of policy.

It's a thought? Most of the time I've no idea what I paid for it as it's been languishing in the cellar for a year or four. I do occasionally put a price (albeit in £ sterling) when the price is notable in relation to the enjoyment, or where I'm making a comment about value. Pricing can be significantly different between europe, us and the antipodians.

A good point to raise, though I'm sure I'll still only do it occasionally.

I guess with alcohol % I post it when it's particularly high or low. For me the extremes are probably 12.5% and 14.5% with anything either side of these figures (or if the alcohol stands out) then it might warrant a mention.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:37 pm

Carl, I imagine we have a variety of circumstances here and that a lot of others are in my boat. That is, if I'm posting about new releases, I tend to include price because value, on newly released wines or relatively unknown wines, is a consideration. If it's an older wine, which is a lot of what I drink, I may include price if I remember it and if I consider it relevant to the wine's performance. If I purchased the wine at auction, price isn't relevant at all unless it was such a silly bargain that it amuses me to reveal what I paid.

So, point is, it's not always possible to include price, but I do agree it's usually an interesting and useful data point. Oh, and I would certainly never regard anyone else doing so as bragging no matter the price.
Last edited by Jenise on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:19 pm

I agree with Jenise's points. I usually include price if it's a recent purchase (either a new release or an older wine that is available via shipment). I don't bother with something I've had for more than a year or two as the price becomes less relevant.
I always try to include alcohol level, more out of habit than anything else.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:39 pm

Ian raised a point that I anticipated, and have no problem with people posting in their own currancy. That is why I try to do it $ U.S. Tom Stevenson sells a lot of his "Wine Report" books, and each writer includes prices in the currancy of the region being reported on. This is not too much of a problem most of the time; so retail currency of the poster shouldn't be one either.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:06 pm

I agree. I think especially the abv is interesting to hear. I do want to hear the price as it's nice to compare what it would be here. Well ... actually it's depressing to compare. :( I'll try to remember to post these details from now on.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:56 pm

While I can see the reason for interest (or is it morbid curiosity), I don't pay much attention to either most of the time. If something is a noteworthy value or a noteworthy ripoff then I might very well include the price. If not the the price is irrelevant enough to me that I just never think of it.

As for abv, I don't care about it. Either the wine is balanced or it is not. If there is too much alcohol (has there ever been too little?) that will show in my note.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:32 pm

I like to include as much info as possible when I do a WTN or even when I simply comment on a wine. Price and alcohol by volume interest me personally. They are pieces of the wine puzzle. Personally, I love to read those technical notes which are usually released to the trade. It's like having an enhanced label. Who knows? Maybe I'll find the magic ratio of TA to pH which will guarantee me the ultimate in enjoyment in wines made by lefthanded Portuguese winemakers. :roll: OK, now I'm making fun of myself. I am somewhat garrulous and tend to weave extraneous information into my posts and WTN's.

Seriously, though, in this forum for me getting to know the person writing about the wine is as important as getting to know the wines she/he drinks. The WTN style reflects the individual personality. It's quite enriching.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:56 am

This is a lovefest thread. Let's all get together and give each other a big group hug and sing Peter, Paul, and Mary songs ariound the campfire.

Seriously, I try to include all the information possible, I just forget. I like Gary's comments about getting to know the poster too. It is fun.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:55 pm

I don't include alcohol levels in my own tasting notes because it's not something I ever look at when evaluating wine, unless a flaw in the wine (excessive hotness on the palate or whatnot) sends me looking for it. I don't ever look at the other sort of techno-stuff on labels (brix at harvest, acidity levels), either, with the exception of residual sugar levels for sweet wines.

Regarding price, by the time I get around to drinking the stuff I've bought and cellared, I've usually forgotten exactly what I paid for it. I also don't find price quotes in TNs very helpful, as wine prices vary quite widely over both time and space. So it's not a factor for me, except where QPR is an issue ("this is a fantastic wine for under $10", or "you'd expect more after you've shelled out $100 for a bottle").

But I've got no problem with other people putting this info into their TNs if they wish.

-Paul W.