Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What food will you NOT eat?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: What food will you NOT eat?

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:57 am

I'm allergic to scallops. I've never had sushi and I don't think I'd ever order it, but would probably try it out of politeness. I eat raw clams, but prefer them steamed. As an observaion, it seems that the older one gets, the more tolerence one has for strongly flavored foods. Until about 3 years ago (I'm now 57), even the thought of anchovies would make me gag. However, I kind of like them on pizza now. The only other thing that comes to mind, and I've stated it in other posts, is almost anything made with Miracle Whip. :x
no avatar
User

Shaji

by Shaji » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:17 pm

I will venture and say that I will probably try anything once. No...wait.., I won't try anything that can cause Kuru. Also, crocodile meat doesn't sound very appealing.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Shaji wrote:Also, crocodile meat doesn't sound very appealing.

Would it be that much different than alligator? Yes, I eat alligator...and like it.

What I don't like are lima beans, liver of any kind, and I will never eat raw seafood - ever.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:43 pm

Randy R wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:I've never had sushi

Sushi isn't really a food, at least as far as I know the definition, but a way to prepare raw fish including salmon and tuna. Rahsaan is the resident sushi expert around here so if he's around, I'd like to clear that with him. Usually I'm wrong :)

I'm big enough to allow the specification of a preparation method, though so it's a valid answer.

I agree that tastes definitely change as one grows older. I think anchovies are ok if finely chopped, but I think they're too salty in general.

Sushi is basically a rice dish with seafood. There is absolutely no implication of raw fish - although many sushis' contain raw fish. The dish may have cooked seafood, smoked seafood or raw seafood.

Sushi comes in two basic types - nigiri (finger) and maki (rolled.)

I know I don't look Japanese, but I have been making sushi since 1980 when I had it on the menu at Mudd's.

I never recommend that folks make sushi with raw fish at home - most people don't know enough about nematodes and parasites. Sushi chefs do.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:50 pm

Canned French cut string beans induce immediate reverse peristalsis in me. Aaaaargghhh!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Pickles. It has been a lifelong thing, and the life is long. Have gotten over a lot of dislikes, but not this one. They make me gag even when buried in potato or ham salad.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:40 pm

Randy R wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:Sushi is basically a rice dish with seafood. There is absolutely no implication of raw fish - although many sushis' contain raw fish. The dish may have cooked seafood, smoked seafood or raw seafood.

Thanks for the clarification. I have had maki with no fish in it btw, (California maki I think, with avocado in place of the fish) but I get the point. I thought the fish had to be raw, it always is in the stuff I order, but that's what I like.

Yeah, the...er..."California Roll." Make believe sushi. Must have come from Hollywood.

You're welcome. :)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:12 pm

Coffee! Blech! Blech! Blech! Anything with too much cofee flavor in it! Blech! Blech! Blech! This includes coffee ice cream and all forms of coffee flavored desserts. I am a huge chocolate lover though. Go figure. I also love tea. Coffee is just awful.

I used to feel the same way about curry, but then I was introduced to Thai food and I've done a 180 on curry. Just don't pawn that lousy supermarket stuff off on me.

I am sorry to be so timid with my opinions.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:18 pm

I think I'm fairly adventurous. I'll try anything. There are a few dishes that I won't touch again though. Iceland and Yemen may not have many things in common, but a dried shark is one. It smells of piss; and it tastes vile enough that though I've not tasted piss, I could well imagine that it tastes like it too. I have no idea why the Yemenis make it, but I did figure why the Icelanders do. I was told, after trying a bit, to drink from a bottle. The liquid was totally clear and I drunk a good dose of it thinking it was water. Then I was told that it has 50% abv!!!! I could not believe it until I tried it without the shark. The shark hides the taste/burn of alcohol, so you can drink alot!!!! I did start feeling rather light headed a little while later.

For foods that I will eat, but which I don't like enough to prepare myself: pork. I don't know why. I really don't mind at all eating it when others make it, but I never will.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:20 pm

I thought I was the only one on planet earth who doesn't like pickles. Can't believe I forgot to add that to my previous list.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:20 pm

Randy R wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:Canned French cut string beans induce immediate reverse peristalsis in me. Aaaaargghhh!

And what food can reverse the revers peri...peri... whatever it is? In other words , if this food is your Kryptonite, what is your Lois Lane food?

As my considerable girth indicates, there ain't much Kryptonite, but plenty of Lois Lane in my life when it comes to food.

But if I were to rewrite the tune "My Favorite Things," I'd first have to sing about poppy seeds ... on bagels, on any kind of bread, or in the form of Mohnkuchen or Mohnstrudel. And then there's sesame seeds ...

To be sure, I am an insufferable, incurable philanderer with regard to the edible heroines of my story. The list goes on ad infinitum.

Oh, yes, Peristalsis
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:26 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:...but a dried shark is one...

I've never had dried shark, but while in Trinidad (30 years ago) they had stands on the beaches that sold what they called "Shark & Bake". This was shark meat, fried in a hot pepper batter, served on a crusty roll. Quite tasty, actually, especially with a glass of locally brewed Guiness draft. :P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Randy R wrote:EXCLUDING allergies, what food will you NOT eat?

A long time ago, when I realized that I was a "foodie," I reached the conclusion that I would be willing to at least <i>try</i> any food that the people with me were willing to eat, figuring that if it didn't kill them, it wouldn't kill me.

I'm pretty adventurous, too, and willing to try most things, at home and abroad. Even foie gras poêlé. :)

But like everyone, I have a handful of just-as-soon-avoid dishes. A couple of them are just inherent squeamishness raising its ugly head, I guess. I don't really want to eat bunny rabbit even though I know it's a gourmet treat. It reminds me too much of my cats. I have similar instinctive reactions about snake, eel and turtle, and I'm not that eager to discover the joys of spiders and insects (other than lobster and shrimp!). The pleasures of slugs are lost on me, and I'm not even whelmed by escargot, except perhaps as a carrier for garlic and oil. I won't be sorry if I'm never exposed to Filipino <i>balut</i>, the fully embryonized duck egg, or a Masai cocktail of cow's blood and milk. Or a sheep's eyeball.

But none of the above are Will Not Put In Mouth no-nos. If I'm traveling in the region where they are delicacies, or eating at an ethnic restaurant with people from that country, and they offer, I'll enjoy the experience as much as I can, and delightedly tell the story thereafter.
no avatar
User

Shaji

by Shaji » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:...but a dried shark is one...

I've never had dried shark, but while in Trinidad (30 years ago) they had stands on the beaches that sold what they called "Shark & Bake". This was shark meat, fried in a hot pepper batter, served on a crusty roll. Quite tasty, actually, especially with a glass of locally brewed Guiness draft. :P

Dried shark is awesome.. They eat it in South India too as a condiment. Incidentally I was looking for some in the local Asian store. They had dried haddock. Wonder what that tastes like?
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I think I'm fairly adventurous. I'll try anything. There are a few dishes that I won't touch again though. Iceland and Yemen may not have many things in common, but a dried shark is one. It smells of piss; and it tastes vile enough that though I've not tasted piss, I could well imagine that it tastes like it too. I have no idea why the Yemenis make it, but I did figure why the Icelanders do. I was told, after trying a bit, to drink from a bottle. The liquid was totally clear and I drunk a good dose of it thinking it was water. Then I was told that it has 50% abv!!!! I could not believe it until I tried it without the shark. The shark hides the taste/burn of alcohol, so you can drink alot!!!! I did start feeling rather light headed a little while later.

For foods that I will eat, but which I don't like enough to prepare myself: pork. I don't know why. I really don't mind at all eating it when others make it, but I never will.

The problem here is the fact that sharks urinate through their skin. If improperly slaughtered and not immediately eviscerated, they will flush all their "death urine" into their flesh. These fish are caught by folks who don't know what they're doing.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:22 pm

won't be sorry if I'm never exposed to Filipino balut, the fully embryonized duck egg, or a Masai cocktail of cow's blood and milk. Or a sheep's eyeball.

I had two students from the Philippines - a brother and sister - they brough tme a balut to try. With some things, once is more than enough.[
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Randy R wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:Sushi is basically a rice dish with seafood. There is absolutely no implication of raw fish - although many sushis' contain raw fish. The dish may have cooked seafood, smoked seafood or raw seafood.

Thanks for the clarification. I have had maki with no fish in it btw, (California maki I think, with avocado in place of the fish) but I get the point. I thought the fish had to be raw, it always is in the stuff I order, but that's what I like.

Moving back a few subjects, I'd just like to point out that California roll aside, there is plenty of authentically Japanese sushi that does not involve seafood of any kind. Egg, cucumber and pickled vegetables of various kinds are commonly encountered. The term "sushi" encompasses basically anything that starts with sushied rice - in other words, rice flavored with sushi vinegar.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:and I'm not that eager to discover the joys of spiders and insects

Robin
If you ever make it to Northern Territory, Australia, I can honestly recommend the green-bottomed ants. They have a sack at the ...erm... rear and this is the bit you bite off (they're not big, so sadly this means goodbye to Mr ant - however the B*ggers bite, so after 3 or 4 times of them biting me I figured it was no more than revenge).

The taste is the singular most refreshing taste I've ever experience and even one tiny ant can give a massive citrus hit (think refreshing lemon, but without bitterness).

Definitely not a wind-up, definitely a true culinary highlight.

To answer the question, I tried tripe for the 1st (and last) time in Italy at the end of last year. Happy I tried it, but happier in the knowledge that I don't have to try it again!

Other stuff I have a problem with is based around squeemishness or ex-pets. After not liking tripe, I'll pass on the local dish called "Chitterlings", which, how can I put this subtly, is a little further down the digestive tract...

No-ones mentioned brussels sprouts! In a survey a while ago, it came out as both the least and most popular vegetable - i.e. you either love it or hate it, there is no middle ground.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:55 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:No-ones mentioned brussels sprouts! In a survey a while ago, it came out as both the least and most popular vegetable - i.e. you either love it or hate it, there is no middle ground.

Brussels sprouts, no problem for me. I'd nominate pine nuts. Yecch! Pine nuts are worse than oysters and liver put together ...

Dave
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 am

Generally speaking...I will eat anything that won't eat me first.

That is, with the following proviso: It can't be bigger than my head and it cannot be Brussels Sprouts.

My solution? Cut out the middle-man: Just cook the Brussels Sprouts in a suace pan until tender, empty the water...then carefully deposit the contents of the pan into the trash. End of problem.

Brussels Sprouts are garbage waiting to happen.

ACK! :shock:
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

by John DeFiore » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:41 am

I don't eat fast food, or anything with high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils in it. I didn't eat the cow's eyeballs when offered at a "cabeza" party, even to be polite I'm not that eager to try insects or grubs, dog, cat or rat. I've had tripe on several occasions but I'm not extremely fond of it. Other than that, I can't think of much I won't eat offhand. I'm sure there are a few things I've left out though....

John
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:10 am

Fennel bulb, cooked in any manner,,, I've tried most and it just doesn't appeal; but no problems with the seeds.

Ditto cilantro. To be avoided at all cost.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:46 am

I will not eat anything that shits.

Outside of the animal kingdom, there are few things that will really get my gag reflex going, but avocado is high on that short list. So is natto. Brussels sprouts cooked badly are particularly awful, more so than most badly-cooked veggies, but done right, they're heavenly.
no avatar
User

Tyler Brebbermann

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:19 am

Hamburg, Germany

by Tyler Brebbermann » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:18 am

I really love brussel sprouts, mmm.

But on to things that I can't eat. Seafood. I wish I could enjoy it, but after being force fed canned tuna fish at a young age my stomach would turn even at the thought of trying a seafood dish. Over the past few years I've found myself at least tasting some fish dishes, but I could never imagine myself ordering, let alone preparing, one and enjoying it.

Tyler
Next