The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Whiplash wines: Dragonstone, Hiedler, and a sucky rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Whiplash wines: Dragonstone, Hiedler, and a sucky rose

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Betsy left for California Monday morning, that evening I cowered in the air conditioning and sipped the 2005 Leitz Dragonstone QbA. Others seem to be less enthused re this vintage, but once again, this is emerging as a favorite value for me - peachy sweetness balanced by clear acids, green apple and white peach fruit overlaid with herbs and a little mineral. Nice little wine that could pass for a decent Spätlese. B+

The following night, I took some kids from upstate on a Midnight Run before dropping them at the church in the city where they were staying. As I headed up the West Side Highway, a southbound Jeep came flying (literally) over the median and smashed into the back of the Excursion I was driving. I spun either 900° or 1260°. Miraculously, I wasn't really hurt (folks in other car were, but not as bad as it could have been). The real miracle was those kids weren't in the Excursion at time. When I eventually made it home , for once I thought I actually NEEDED a drink. So now the Dragonstone seemed more complex, with rich mineral notes and serious depth. It might have been the time open that improved it further, but my guess it was my mood! As a post major accident quaff, the Dragonstone gets a solid A.

Last night the heat had broken and it was a lovely night for a picnic at the jazz concert in the Dobbs Ferry park. A nice group of friends and friends of friends,; I brought paté and cheeses, others brought gaucomole, sausages, fruit, and assorted salads. Lucy the Basset had a good time with a marrow bone and her dachshund friend Burger- they both tolerated endless little kids wanting to pet them. Various wines were circulating, including:

2004 Hiedler "Löss" Grüner Veltliner
Lovely light-bodied GV. Lemon and apple fruit sprinkled with white pepper, a bit of chalky mineral on the finish. Excellent value at about $12, looking forward to the 2005. B+

2004 Passavant Rosé de Loire
I love rosé in the summer. But not all rosé. I like light, but not dilute. I like red fruit, but not canned cherries. I like a clean finish, not a short empty one. This I do not like. C

Fun night with friends.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Whiplash wines: Dragonstone, Hiedler, and a sucky rose

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Glad to hear you are ok. I would have opened a TBA after an experience like that!

As to the Dragonstone, I think it's a very good wine, but it gets its butt kicked by the 2005 Rudesheimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett from Leitz. For only another buck or two you get about $10 worth of additional value IMO.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:56 pm

Dale,

Me too . . . glad you're safe and sound!

Would definitely miss your TNs . . . .

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:42 am

Mike and David, thanks.
David, I see Astor has the Klostelay Kab for a good price, I'll be sure to try, especially as I liked it in 2004 and even 2003.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:18 pm

And lived to tell the tale!

I think after an experience like this, I would need some caffeine to calm the jitters.

It's always a good feeling to live through some harrowing experience keeping in mind that it could have been much, much worse.

-Mark
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Whew!, Dale, how lucky lucky lucky you are. I'm sorry other people were hurt, but I live in a place where median-crossing accidents happen all the time, and way too often it's the innocent party that gets badly hurt--thank Bacchus that it wasn't so this time.

Nice example of how gratitude deepens our appreciation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm glad you got through that relatively unscathed, Dale. That kind of thing can be frightening.