The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Jadot Clos des Ursules

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 1998 Jadot Clos des Ursules

by Sam Platt » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:38 pm

1998 Jadot Clos des Ursules

This is the fourth bottle of '98 Jadot CdU that I pulled from the cut out bin at the local wine shop. No idea how they ended up there. People in this neck of woods just won't pay more the about $15 for a bottle of wine. Their loss, my gain.

I suppose this CdU should be past its prime, but every bottle gets better and better.

Color: Dark red with a little jaundiced appearance at the rim.

Nose: Fruit, flowers, earth and all sort of goodies just danced out of the glass. I could have sniffed the wine for an hour. I served it a little warmer than normal for me, about 62 F may have caused the nose to go nulear.

Taste: Silky mouth feel. Super yet sedate fruit, berry and cherry with almost no trace of tannin. A little licorice and the burgundy farmyard in the background. A little balancing acidity. Extended finish with almost a flavor "second wind" after about 15 seconds. Just and all around scrumptious wine.

This stuff is a treat for a primier Cru. I know '98 was not a great vintage and the CdU isn't supposed to age well, but I have seen marked improvement of an already tasty wine over the past 2 years. Let's hear it for under-rated Burgundy.

Sam Platt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 1998 Jadot Clos des Ursules

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:02 pm

I guess I will beg to differ. '98 was not a bad vintage at all, and Clos des Ursules can age fantastically. It's a wonderful 1er cru still available at a modest price. You got a great bargain.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:08 pm

Sam,

Agree, Jadot's "second tier" sites from "unrenowned" years can often be had for great QPR. I've got a few mixed cases of '97 and '98 Jadot's Ursules, Couchereaux, Porrets as well as a few village wines that range from good to excellent with none in danger of falling apart any time soon. Let the cherry pickers have their fun at the top end while small fry (like me) pick the eyes out of the left overs!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:55 pm

Well, since 1998 is a favorite vintage of mine and I regard Clos des Ursules as one of Jadot's three most consistently good wines (along with Bonnes Mares and Clos St. Jacques) and since I loved this wine on release all I can say is - WHY was I such an idiot as to open my only two bottles while the wine was still closed?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:00 am

Anyone have recent experience with the 1993? Is it open yet? I had it a few years back and it was still rather reticent.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.